PDA

View Full Version : Wrist fusion due inflammatory arthritis

ALTSELGREEN
3rd Feb 2016, 20:22
Has anyone had this done? Either total or partial and what effect has it had on
your class one?

Loose rivets
3rd Feb 2016, 21:19
Look, and keep looking for what is causing the inflammation. So much new information keeps appearing.

A pal of mine was offered fusion for both his feet. He was in misery and the entire procedure was to take over three years. He fought against it and now walks miles.

ALTSELGREEN
3rd Feb 2016, 21:31
Thanks for your reply-diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis, have been on a cocktail of DMARD's and if the latest lot don't work, I'm running out of options really as don't qualify for biologic therapy. Grounded 8 months now.....:ugh:

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2016, 00:56
For most of my life I've taken old wives' tales with the proverbial pinch of salt, but just lately I've wondered more and more what turns the body onto itself and feel there just might be a simple but obscure cause.

I have friends who's life has been all but ruined from 60 onwards by arthritic problems, while others still sail in cold conditions while soaking wet, yet seem fine as they head towards 80 years of age. There has to be a reason, but vast research worldwide does not seem to have produced results. What is certain is that many will not try radical diets. I suppose they simply dismiss them as simplistic folk remedies.

Recently there was a flurry of excitement when it was suggested that bacteria in the mouth and throat was showing a statistical link to autoimmune inflammation. So many false leads, but who knows. No one anticipated the helicobacter pylori - ulcer link.

Many years ago Time magazine did a front page article about inflammation. My astonishment at the complexity of the subject caused me to take an interest since that time. Quite by chance this week my wife called from the US and mentioned 'Oil pulling'. Such an odd name and usually associated with dental problems, but now, so it is said, can be linked to an improvement in arthritic problems. It piqued my interest. There's certainly a lot written about the dental side, but nothing but brief headlines on the global inflammation side.

If I can find the link again I'll post it, but it was well written and the science seemed reasonably logical.

gingernut
6th Feb 2016, 20:29
What is the advice of your rheumatologist ?

ALTSELGREEN
12th Feb 2016, 10:01
Hi Gingernut,
I did have a short discussion about the the long term outlook at my last appointment with the rheumatologist.
It is proving difficult to get the inflammation under control and of course, I have some permanent wrist joint damage due to no early referral (just take ibuprofen!!!!) and lack of prompt treatment (2 years). Unfortunately, this seems to be a common issue in primary care.
My rheumatologist just mentioned that if the latest treatment doesn't work, there is a question mark about where we go next, as we will have tried all the drug options available to me. I've already had a synovectomy, and I imagine it will be a re-referral back to the surgeon for further surgical options.