View Full Version : Skyways' pilots; read this!!!

Marianne
23rd Jun 2002, 14:41
:rolleyes: It appears to me that there are no Skyways cabin crew reading this forum since none have bothered to reply my earlier post, to my big disappointment. Now I'm begging you pilots out there to tell my what you know, have observed or heard about the terms and conditions for the Skyways flight attendants, talking about the number of duty days per month, maybe salary, etc... You must know something (besides what's on their websites), and ANYTHING regarding this topic is of interest to me! So please, just give me a couple of minutes of your valuable time. It will be highly appreciated. :rolleyes: The Skyways FA "wannabe" ([email protected])

Marianne
23rd Jun 2002, 19:01
How is it possible that nobody is willing to share any info on Skyways...? I'm still waiting with excitement.

TheDrop
24th Jun 2002, 09:51
... eller de er så travle at de ikke har tid til at gå på internettet !

Fizze
24th Jun 2002, 19:39
Hi Marianne

Since I get so little paid at Skyways 16500 sek. after tax.( 5 years as F/O) i´ts very hard to have time to answer your question ( I need 2 jobs to survive) We really have great crew in the cabin, but I feel sorry for them, they can sometimes work 4-5 weekends in a row. And you can guess what they make for a living. Skyways is and have for a very long time been very underpaid. I would say about 30% less than our competitor.

But having said that, the unbelivable loyal staff is the best I ever come across.:D :D :D

Marianne
25th Jun 2002, 08:24
That was interesting and valuable info. Working weekends and around the clock is everyday life to me already (doing sales in an airport pub and cafe for charter traffic), so I wouldn't mind doing it as a FA. Actually I would love to, even though the money is not too good...

Their ad for cabin crew is still up, so I can't expect any reply yet. I'm very hopeful though...:rolleyes:

By the way, is the crew all Swedish or do they have other Scandinavians as well?::eek:

KADS
25th Jun 2002, 10:31
Marianne -

A nice place to work from an FA:s point of view is Malmö Aviation. Better pay than Skyways, larger A/C and good union. There is a great atmosphere too, in the company and most FA:s I know there are very happy with their job. Dunno if they are looking right now for new guys but it is always worth checking!

www.malmoaviation.se

Rgds....

Flapsfull
26th Jun 2002, 19:13
Varför inte Britannia? Lönen är inte hejdundrande bra, men med trakt så blir det bra. Och Britannia har två baser i Norge!

Att man sen är solbränd på vintern är ju bara en bonus.

Bengt Engel
27th Jun 2002, 08:54
Har inte britannia gjort sig av med överflödiga flygvärdinnor eller är de bara tjänstlediga??? tror inte det är lätt att få jobb där inom de närmsta året....men malmö eller TransAir kanske är lättare. TransAir hade för övrigt en stor kurs nyss...

--------

I've spent five years of my life trying to invent an an*l bum cover...

Payscale
27th Jun 2002, 21:38
Marianne er jo en atraktiv pige, så hun skal da ned til Emirates og tjene skattefrie kroner og ha gratis bolig!:D :D :D

Marianne
28th Jun 2002, 11:43
Marianne speaking;) :

:) Thanks for tips so far. Been checking out Malmø Aviation and Britannia. No recruitment. Can't find TransAir's websites, only the former company with the same name; anyone have their address? Tried Emirates in Dubai 13th of September last year, but was turned down. Felt that they were really arrogant - guess I popped into the wrong type of people. The interviewer remarked I should put on weight even though I fit their min. weight criteria (don't know if I was rejected because of that). Was just about to go on a interview with Gulf Air, but they eventually cancelled the recruitment due to economical problems, etc.

Been around the globe since I was little, lived 11 years abroad, know 5 lang. (3 fluently), have a professional degree in social work and travel and tourism (high marks), lots of customer service experience from a first class cruise ship, an airport (etc), fine looks (although I assume long blond hair is preferred to short), ideal height/weight, age 25, etc. My conclusion is, also being a question, what more can they ask for?

Sometimes I have heard from people in the airline business that I might be considered being overqualified... that they believe I won't be stable, that becoming a FA is just another springboard before I'm going to seek new challenges. But no, this is what I really want to do for a long time, only if they would give me the chance to tell them that face to face! I hate paperwork - I'm not going to work on cases of social problems before I get old and wise! In the meanwhile I want to deal with and serve nice and troublesome passengers. I keep on crossing my fingers for that Skyways will give me the opportunity!!!:rolleyes: :)

Congratulations if you managed to follow me this far!

ANY MORE INFO ON SKYWAYS :cool: , guys, or other interesting "stuff" regarding work as cabin crew? I'm listening with excitement!:rolleyes: :p :)

Marianne
28th Jun 2002, 12:09
There's no point in suggesting low fare companies like Ryanair, EasyJet, etc. Yes, I know they're recruiting, but being Norwegian I don't meet their criteria for a EU pass.

Come on "Skyway's folks", please...!:rolleyes:

Skunkworks
28th Jun 2002, 12:14
Have you talked to the people at JZ? From what I have heard they are all quite helpful. Give them a call!

With no disrespect intended towards the people at JZ, you might appear a bit over-qualified for a position with them. But, I suppose, if you get in there, it can be a good stepping-stone on your way to something else!

In any case, best of luck to you!

Edit: spelling

Bengt Engel
28th Jun 2002, 12:21
Hi Marianne...

For TransAir try to call goodjets service center in GBG 031-708 90 00 and ask them, I have the number to the chief pilot but not the cabin recruitment....or try nummerupplysningen, the office is located in Märsta....

Send an email to transjet.se as well, dunno if they are interested in cabin crew at this time, but give it a go. Not the best company around, might help you get some experience though....

If you give me your email address I might be able to check with
TransAir....

You sound like pretty overqualified to me, not a bad thing as far as I'm conserned, nice with some C/A's that have other things to talk about than work, but the recruiters might be terrified, just like you said. but if you really wanna work within this industry, GOOD LUCK!

try sterling.dk as well....

KADS
28th Jun 2002, 16:22
Marianne - you should be happy you didn't get the job with Gulf Air. I know an A/H:s who worked there and he was treated really badly! And this was even an English A/H and they are used to being treated badly so you can just imagine!!! MalmöAviation I believe might be recruiting soon so keep your eyes open. As pointed out earlier you do sound a bit overqualified for Skyways...

Marianne
28th Jun 2002, 21:04
Rejected at Skyways - ready to try others

Hi folks!:)

Received the letter today. Disappointing, but no surprise. Yeah, maybe considered "overqualified"... But cutting down on my experience and education is not going to work on my CV either (blank periods do no good). So I'm determined to keep on applying until somebody discovers my potential in the airline business.

You guys are of great support giving interesting tips and further hope;

Skunkworks, I've heard JZ mentioned before, but don't know what company that is. Would you please share some more...?

Bengt Engel, thank you for drawing my attention towards "Transjet". I'll keep an eye on their websites until they start recruiting again, and call Goodjet for TransAir! Goodjet seems to be interesting too, but they just finished recruiting.

Kads, you make it sound worthwhile watching out MalmøAviation for future recruitment. Great!

"Want to be on the move, flying high....!!!" Being stuck in this place is no fun...

Yeah, just keep responding if you feel like it. It'll certainly be appreciated!:) ;) :rolleyes: [email protected]

Marianne
28th Jun 2002, 21:29
Just very curious. Unfortunately nothing of interest on their websites for vacant cabin crew positions.

Bengt Engel, as I understand GoodJet is using Transair to perform their flights... I guess GoodJet's cabin crew are therefore employed by Transair?:)

Bengt Engel
28th Jun 2002, 22:30
Hello...

you asked about JZ, and thats just the "ticketcode" for skyways, i.e. the letters infront of the flightnumber, JZ123.....hence JZ..

The goodjet/TransAir deal is a bit more complicated, I know that TransAir is doing all the flying since goodjet is only a "ticket sales" company...
however, I'm not quite sure about the cabin crew, I know that some are TransAir (B757), and I know TransAir have been doing some training, but goodjet did advertise for cabin crew this spring.

I would call goodjet and ask them, thats probably the safest bet.

if you dont get lucky there, just let me know and I'll try to get you the number to TransAir....

Skunkworks
29th Jun 2002, 09:39
Im sorry it didnt work out with Skyways (or JZ as someone who obviously needs a break from aviation sometimes calls it...).

However, with your motivation and qualifications I am sure you are on your way to something better! I read in Flight International (Aviation magazine) that Qatar are looking for cabin crew. If you are interested;

www.qatarairways.com

As many of us knows, getting in to this business of aviation can be hard and often take some time (and rejections on the way). But once you are on the inside, it can be very rewarding! Im starting to sound like Depak Chopra, but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there!

/skunks

Flying M
30th Jun 2002, 10:58
I hope you get what you are looking for. I think that with all the knowledge you have you should go for the seats up in in the front of the airplanes. ;) I heard a little rumour that "City Airlines" in Gothenburg are recruiting c/a.? They are flying EMB 145 , ( small jets). Sorry that you cant go for the low fares airlines as it is the future.
I´m a pilot in Ryanair and it is great, lovely people working together and the money are absolutely great. You work a lot but thats ok.
Wish you luck.// Magnus..

Fwd Wonder Cerebrum
30th Jun 2002, 13:56
Marianne, why don't u try Norwegian? They are hiring right now, need 70 in the back. From their website:

"Minimumsalder 23 år. Snakke flytende ett skandinavisk språk, samt engelsk. Tilfredsstille Luftfartstilsynets medisinske krav til kabinbesetning. Kunne svømme minimum 200 meter. Kabinbesetningen må passere selskapets opptaksprøver. "

Check norwegian.no (http://www.norwegian.no)

http://www.norwegian.no/images/79947.jpg ;)

Marianne
30th Jun 2002, 15:06
Hi again!:)

Skunkworks; I've heard and read so many negative remarks about Qatar's treatment of their crew, so I'm a bit sceptic. But yeah, they are recruiting, so sending in an application wouldn't hurt...

Flying M; City Airline looks attractive. No c/a vacancies registered on their website, but maybe they're in the process of doing so...?

Fwd Wonder Cerebrum; I thought NAS just finished recruiting and that I'd missed it (due to being obsessed with moving from Norway and not having checked the national companies). But are you sure they still need more c/a's? Their vacancy site is totally blank.

Have sent mails to some of the companies that have basicly empty recruitment sites (assumingly there are no availabilities), but I'd better do phone calls this week in order to get fast and straight answers...

(Embarrassing not having noticed that JZ is Skyways! Thanks for telling me! :o)

Everybody, have a nice week... working!:cool: :)

Bengt Engel
30th Jun 2002, 18:54
Well thank you, I hope you'll have a nice week to, although I got the impression you were fed up with your present job....

I know I'm not gonna work, I'm stand-by for the beach this coming week, so if we could get some descent weather I'm outa here....

Knold
30th Jun 2002, 20:23
Nice occupation there Bengt-E

Not sureabout the ATPL though... ;)

BTW, Congrats!

Bengt Engel
30th Jun 2002, 20:31
I'm pretty sure, and you? are you giving all the English women a hard time?

I know I will!

donde de la eller någet.

Marianne
30th Jun 2002, 20:31
Yeah, you bet I am, Bengt Engel. :D

These jobs of mine were supposed to be only part time jobs after school this year, but now I've got to keep them running until who knows when... and I know them inside out. On the other hand I know working as a C/A doesn't need to be the most challenging nor intelligent job on earth either (hope I didn't offend anybody!), especially if you don't get a lot of high demanding and difficult passengers.... Hehe. But I love being on the move, offering great service and having the opportunity to travel quite cheap... so!

Too bad the weather prognosis isn't too promising for staying on the beach!!! How strange, eh. Hehe.:cool:

Bengt Engel
30th Jun 2002, 20:52
yep. just looked at the weather for the coming week and it does not look promising....however I could easily revert to beer stand-by, and that might even be better actually....although combining the two is unbeatable....

If you would like to try difficult passengers, try transjet and their charters from england, last I heard all CA's locked themself inside the cockpit together with the flight deck crew (naturally)....those football supporters, or soccer as you're supposed to call it...

Knold
1st Jul 2002, 10:03
What English women?

Still not sure about the ATPL..................................................:cool: :cool: :cool:

Bengt Engel
1st Jul 2002, 10:06
those 18 year old charter girls :D

Fizze
4th Jul 2002, 15:27
Hi Marianne

Today there was an add in the Swedish newspaper that Falconair are looking for cabinrew. They are looking for people to be based in Stockholm. Could have something to do with them flying for Skyways in September.
;)

Marianne
4th Jul 2002, 19:57
What made you pilots so helpful...? Thanks Fizze!:D

I think Falcon Air looks interesting with both regional and charter flights. Being based in Stockholm would be nice too...:)

I've noticed that Maersk Air accept cabin crew applications all year round. Does anybody know if they're short at the moment...? :rolleyes:

Brenoch
4th Jul 2002, 20:29
Are you badmouthing your employer Bengt??

Bengt Engel
4th Jul 2002, 22:44
nope, not badmouthing anyone, just told the truth about some tricky situations you might end up in...

so brenoch has finally come forward when the broadband was installed....

I'll give you a ring in a jiffy...

/Bengan...

Knold
5th Jul 2002, 18:28
Get you facts right Beng-E :p

Bengt Engel
5th Jul 2002, 19:38
Is everyone against me all of a sudden???

just because I'm good looking, you don't have to blame me...

ArcticCircle
6th Jul 2002, 12:24
Marianne,

Listen din for selskaper som søker C/A må være lang etter hvert. Men dersom du har plass til et navn til, så prøv:
Astraeus
tel: (44) 1293 819800
Jeg kan ikke si om de er i markedet for mer personell i kabinen, men det er verdt et forsøk.