PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice!!

Manga80
2nd Feb 2016, 13:08
I am desperately looking some advice on Aircraft Maintenance. I am currently serving in the Royal Air Force(Non Tec Trade).But I will be leaving the forces pretty soon.
Before joining the RAF I did BCAR section-L Licencing in 2003. unable to find any work i applied to get a Job in the RAF. Unfortunately i didn't get the trade i wanted and ended up doing some thing totally different.
Now i will be out pretty soon, i am thinking about getting back to Aircraft Maintenance.
I would like to know what is the better path for me to get a B1 Licence? Will it be better to go to a college such as Air Service Training in Scotland or can i apply for an apprenticeship?( I don't know whether i will get any as I'm over 30 now)
Thanks,

BluFin
6th Feb 2016, 12:05
Have a look at conversion provisions in part 66 and with the CAA, If you held a BCAR you wont be starting from scratch.

Air leg has changed drastically so get yourself up to speed on that first , once you understand part 66 you can make an informed choice

NutLoose
9th Feb 2016, 09:04
This will help, it used to be on the CAA website but I cannot find it now,

http://www.slideshare.net/philipstephenfifi/the-engineers-licensing-guidance-document-elgd-07

BTW the Section L is still in use, though limited, if you do convert to EASA you can also retain your BCAR as it is free to do so, if needed.

Manga80
10th Feb 2016, 16:56
Will I be able to get the conversion with out any work experience for the past ten years. That would be great if I could do that..
Thank you guys. :ok:

NutLoose
11th Feb 2016, 08:57
I do not know, it used to be you didn't have to be hands on simply watched some work being carried out for experience etc, did you get that opportunity in the RAF or help out anywhere both Civi or RAF that you could put down as experience?
It seem like the RAF stitched you up royally when taking you on, woe be-told having anyone that actually knows what they are doing.
When I was in the RAF we had an Armourer Cpl who had been told he could re muster once in to a musician, he was a qualified music teacher with a degree!! needless to say he couldn't.

Your best bet is to have a word with licensing, but beware they know squat about the subject these days when you mention section L as most of them now are just clerks with no engineering experience. Have you tried Egoat?

BluFin
11th Feb 2016, 19:01
The ELGD is a dead duck since the roll out of 1149, you can still find it on some dead web pages but not to be use.
Revised version maybe by years end but will be a CAP xxx

Rigga
12th Feb 2016, 21:01
Conversion was free and because you don't have types, that should still be the case...however...

Is you Licence still valid? Did you let your Licence expire?
If it did expire, you may have to start all over again!

Best of luck
Rigga