PDA

View Full Version : further education in aviation

mech881
2nd Feb 2016, 11:39
Hi I've posted a few times on here with great results so looking for help once more.
I've been working on light GA for the past 10 years, I have my FAA A&P license but that is the only paperwork I really have in the industry. I'd really like get some more qualifications behind me but unsure which way to go. I'm currently working in a production role (still aviation based but not maintenance).
Can anyone please recommend any courses or anything it would be greatlyappreciated.

RotaryWingB2
3rd Feb 2016, 11:12
Get yourself a Part 66 licence would be a good start, if you want a degree there are a few Uni's that offer one. Kingston, Glamorgan.

For legislation and other 'theory' courses there's always Baines Simmons, practical courses like electrical hands on, and composites try LRRT or whatever they are called today.

BluFin
6th Feb 2016, 12:12
You need to work out what you want to do first.
Production
Maintenance
Another 1
Another 2

Once you have made that choice, then look at the qualifications

If it was me I'd get out of aviation and work on trains lot more money in that

mech881
17th Feb 2016, 17:59
Thanks guys, blufin I think you are right. I have recently gone into manufacturing and it's great if not a bit tedious sometimes. The trains would be great but I haven't got apprenticeship papers behind me so it's hard for employers to even look at me.

Geosync
16th Mar 2016, 22:48
Consider going to university and getting a business degree. Not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US an A&P with business acumen/degree can work in management, procurement, and executive roles. I'm in claims handling with a degree and A&P. Interesting work dealing with all types of aviation repairs from airlines to UAVs, and everything in between that flies.

Rigga
17th Mar 2016, 23:18
When you've figured out what exactly it is that you want to do, getting a degree is an ideal route. But there are other lower qualifications that might help you too.
Look at technical colleges/Uni's to see what they offer - Open University and "Distance Learning" too. Now is the time to start looking and collecting notes on the variety of courses out there.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Mar 2016, 08:33
It seems to me that there are three routes here, depending upon your long term career aspirations...

(1) Move into general management - in which case the educational route will be a business management (degree?) qualification.

(2) Move into the design/analysis side of engineering - in which case you will probably need to route via something that looks quite like A levels into an engineering degree at ideally MEng level eventually.

(3) Move back into maintenance at a more senior and lucrative level, in which case you want to aim for engineer's licences as some people have already descrived above.

All three, in my opinion are achievable and worthwhile - but more than one of these, at-least in the short term, probably wouldn't be a good idea. So, if you are educationally minded (and well done if you are) you want to think hard about where you'd like that education to potentially take you.

There's a fourth option of course - to hell with your career, do a degree with somebody like the OU that simply really interests you. The options at that point are endless, and it still will benefit you in terms of raising your personal intellectual levels and satisfaction with life. No harm in at least thinking about that, whether it's psychology or ancient greek history.

G

Rigga
18th Mar 2016, 22:44
Genghis, great advice again.

LOZIT
7th Apr 2016, 12:20
Hi there,

Thought this thread was most relevant to my question so here goes.

Having completed an Aeronautical Engineering Degree last year I would very much like a role as a Quality Engineer. However I have currently no experience in such a role so would be grateful for any advice. I am considering taking a course covering EASA Part 145, Part M etc.
Is this worth doing to improve my chances when applying and does anyone recommend a particular provider?

Many thanks

Genghis the Engineer
7th Apr 2016, 21:18
Yes, I'd say so.

Your BEng or MEng will cover broad subject knowledge, analytical and reporting skills, but probably covers the fundamentals of QA fairly poorly.

A course covering the basics of aviation QA - as you say, 147 / 145 / M / 21 would be entirely appropriate to covering that material.

If the course is affordable of course. If not - go buy the books and self-study, which will cost you a fraction of the amount, and you should have the study skills to do so. Maintenance Management is also a useful keyword if you're looking for books.

What I would suggest is that you get on top of the fundamentals of QA before getting too far into the aviation specifics. The non-aviation standard for this is ISO9001, which again there are loads of books on.

Do check whether the quality engineer job(s) you're looking at is about quality assurance (which is what I've assumed here), and not quality control, which is quite a different field. It would be a bit irritating to learn all about one, and discover you were being interviewed for a job in the other! Quality control / statistical process control (SPC) is actually closer to what you've learned on your degree - but there are probably less jobs in that field.

G

LOZIT
8th Apr 2016, 13:25
Thanks Genghis for the advice, yes the QA fundamentals were sadly lacking on the BEng programme I studied.

riff_raff
10th Apr 2016, 06:43
LOZIT, In my opinion a competent aerospace QA professional is worth their weight in gold. Every aerospace company in the US must be AS9100 certified. And a QA professional with experience in AS9100 procedures can save the company huge amounts of money when it comes to dispositioning discrepant parts or handling paperwork.

Rigga
10th Apr 2016, 16:32
As riff raf says, and even in UK, ISO AS 9100 is the standard to study and the course to get under your belt. It includes ISO9001. Many Part 21 companies are looking for this and many Part 145 companies will be on their heels but, unfortunately, not paying quite as much.
With your qualifications and QA under your belt, you might even expand your choices of jobs...

mech881
15th May 2016, 17:32
All great responses. thank you very much. I have found a college that will do a btec diploma on a part time basis so I can study around work. now I just need to find a permanent job. Thanks for all your advice and comments everyone