PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to HRH The Duke of Cambridge

CoffmanStarter
30th Jan 2016, 20:26
Many congratulations, Sir, on receiving your scraper :D

Flight Lieutenant His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge, KG KT ADC to be promoted to the substantive rank of Squadron Leader with effect from 1 January 2016.

RAF Senior Appointments (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/senior-appointments.cfm)

Tankertrashnav
30th Jan 2016, 21:46
Retired as a flight lieutenant on 3 Jan 77 and still waiting for my scraper. Must check back issues of the London Gazette ;)

Nevertheless congratulations YRH!

Capt Scribble
30th Jan 2016, 23:17
I thought that he was now a civvie helicopter pilot, so what is this 'substantive' rank? Sounds more like honorary to me and not exactly an Air rank either.

27mm
31st Jan 2016, 14:44
Prince Charles started his Cranwell course as a Flt Lt and graduated as a Wg Cdr, so Wills is way behind the drag curve......

MOSTAFA
31st Jan 2016, 14:52
It's pathetic really isn't it.

Ken Scott
31st Jan 2016, 16:04
27mm: clearly he was of the right calibre! I struggle to see though how he found the time to organise enough Summer Balls during the course.....

MOSTAFA: I do have a certain sympathy with your POV, my particular bugbear is seeing the rows of medals on the uniform of the Earl of Wessex whose sole military experience was not completing Lympstone. He should take a lesson on earning them from his father.

Tankertrashnav
31st Jan 2016, 16:57
MOSTAFA: I do have a certain sympathy with your POV, my particular bugbear is seeing the rows of medals on the uniform of the Earl of Wessex whose sole military experience was not completing Lympstone. He should take a lesson on earning them from his father.

In all fairness, these are not military awards, consisting of KG, GCVO and SOM (Saskatchewan Order of Merit), together with the 1977, 2002 and 2012 Jubilee medals, the 1993 New Zealand Commemorative Medal and the 2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Medal.

I suppose you could quibble about the two Canadian medals which I assume he has by dint of his appointment as Honorary Colonel in Chief of the Saskatchewan Dragoons, but the rest are par for the course for any senior member of the Royal Family, whether or not they have seen military service.

I've always had a sneaking regard for Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings, former President of Ghana, who always resisted the temptation to promote himself to Air Chief Marshal Rawlings!

Courtney Mil
31st Jan 2016, 17:57
Great to hear some good news for a change. Congratulations.

Royalistflyer
31st Jan 2016, 18:03
A certain British merchant Bank had a representative in Ghana, who had for some time been trying to get some concessions from the government. Every time he went to visit the President, there was a junior officer in the Air Force sitting in the corridor outside, with a black "security" briefcase on his lap. The Merchant Bank rep would always stop and chat with the officer before and after visiting the President. Then there was a coup, and a new government. The Merchant Banker got a phone call a week or so later and was told to visit the new President. It was the junior officer who had sat outside in the corridor - Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings. He offered the banker all the concessions that he wanted - simply because he had been decent enough to talk to him when he was sitting in the corridor.

Chugalug2
31st Jan 2016, 19:38
I'm sorry, but he's blown all credibility in my eyes. As a paid up member of the embittered PVR JO's club, I thought I saw in him a kindred spirit. Now we know different, Sir, don't we? :E

Time yet though to turn his back on the honorary baubles and trinkets. Turning out in substantive gear makes a statement that I for one appreciate.

Finally well done PW for doing a real job as an Air Ambulance driver. Hope that doesn't mean that he's now a paid up member of the British Airways Line Pilots Association when there are others to choose from in the independent sector...

MOSTAFA
31st Jan 2016, 20:34
Ken, I think you might be being a little harsh on Eddie boy, at least he attempted the lympstone bit, his brothers certainly went nowhere near pre para or P Company.

Out Of Trim
31st Jan 2016, 21:00
Hmmm, a lot of forelock tugging going on here! As it happens, I think he is an OK guy. But, substantive promotion when he has left the RAF seems a little strange. Must make me a Flt Sgt by now I guess. :ugh:

Bigbux
31st Jan 2016, 21:48
Great to hear some good news for a change. Congratulations.

I'm sorry, but are you being sarcastic? Genuine question as I fail to see the good news here.

Ken Scott
31st Jan 2016, 22:29
Ken, I think you might be being a little harsh on Eddie boy, at least he attempted the lympstone bit, his brothers certainly went nowhere near pre para or P Company.

Attempted, dropped out & now wears the uniform of a Colonel or Commodore 'with pride'? At least he isn't an honorary Colonel of the RM.....

Danny42C
31st Jan 2016, 23:28
Tankertrashnav (#2) and Out of Trim (#12),

Retired 44 years and with 66 years seniority as a Flight Lieutenant.......Any hope ? :rolleyes:

Danny42C.

Genstabler
31st Jan 2016, 23:55
Don't be too hard on Edward. As an immature young man he was persuaded to follow family precedent and join the military. As none had joined the RM before he was encouraged to give them a go. I am told that he was hacking the physical part of Lympstone OK but realised that Service life, and especially as a Marine, was not for him. Full marks to him for then having the moral courage to bin it, knowing the disappointment his father would feel and the flack he would get, especially from the media. Some people are just not suited to military life, of which the Paras and RM are the extreme example. There is no shame in that.

Jumping_Jack
1st Feb 2016, 09:45
To be fair, they do have to get him to Marshal of the RAF in double quick time.....:E

TorqueOfTheDevil
1st Feb 2016, 10:02
a real job as a civvie SAR helicopter pilot

Air ambulance is a significantly different kettle of fish to SAR.

Geordie_Expat
1st Feb 2016, 10:10
I'm sorry, but he's blown all credibility in my eyes. As a paid up member of the embittered PVR JO's club, I thought I saw in him a kindred spirit. Now we know different, Sir, don't we?...

Did he decide to be promoted ?

Seems like an awful lot of sour grapes on this subject. Are some of our posters turning green ? He is Royal Family for Gods sake. Get over it !

oxenos
1st Feb 2016, 10:44
"Air ambulance is a significantly different kettle of fish to SAR."

So not a real job then?

Chugalug2
1st Feb 2016, 11:05
TOD:-
Air ambulance is a significantly different kettle of fish to SAR.

I wondered who'd be first to spot that one. Well done, Wilson! Duly amended, thanks. Getting confused with his previous job. I wonder if he ever does?

GE:-
Seems like an awful lot of sour grapes on this subject.

I forgot, we don't do ironic any more, do we? Smiley inserted just for you as it was not serious, you understand. You don't? Well I'm banged to rights and no mistake. Yep, sour grapes for sure (sorry, yet more irony).

PS:-
As an aside, could this jump up by one rank only to become a senior officer (just) be in order to claim the privileges of that new status? As a retd JO, officially he could no longer term himself Flight Lieutenant if he so wished. Now that he is a substantive Squadron Leader he is entitled to call himself just that hereafter. Just a thought...

Smeagol
1st Feb 2016, 12:10
Surely the 'HRH' up front carries a bit more weight than 'Squadron Leader' in the bragging stakes!

Clockwork Mouse
1st Feb 2016, 12:41
Surely the 'HRH' up front carries a bit more weight than 'Squadron Leader' in the bragging stakes!
I doubt that any of the Royal family would ever feel the need to brag.
I presume that the Duke still has a reserve liability. With his experience I'm sure that a Sqn Ldr appointment would not be inappropriate were he to return to the colours, or is it guidons in the case of the RAF?.

Roadster280
1st Feb 2016, 12:47
This is just a subsidiary rank. He is already a Colonel, and got married as such.

MPN11
1st Feb 2016, 12:52
or is it guidons in the case of the RAF?. ... or is it "pennants, rank-indicating, flagpoles for the flying on" ?

Al R
1st Feb 2016, 13:52
Charles made it known that he wanted early promotion to Group Captain. The powers that be decided that he wouldn't be thus promoted until the first of his Cranwell intake had already achieved it on merit. That happened sometime in 1988 I think. Making that.. 17 years or so for his peer to have achieved it?

I'm not hung up about this - William may need the pension anyway.. young family and all that.

Chugalug2
1st Feb 2016, 14:55
R280:-
This is just a subsidiary rank. He is already a Colonel, and got married as such.

Well yes, but he is now a substantive Royal Air Force Squadron Leader (whether rightly or wrongly). That might count for rather more in his eyes than any honorary ranks (including Colonel of the Irish Guards) that he might be appointed to.

So why didn't he get married as an RAF Flight Lieutenant? I don't know, but the fashion and society magazine sales would not have been so great, I suspect, nor the TV ratings. Perhaps the bride had some input? It was after all her day...

teeteringhead
1st Feb 2016, 15:41
So why didn't he get married as an RAF Flight Lieutenant? One suspects that was exactly why Pa or Granny or whoever appointed him as a Colonel - IIRC - just before the wedding. There's probably some obscure rule/protocol/tradition that says you must wed in the highest rank uniform available. :(

Always turns out at Remembrance Day as a Flt Lt though! :ok:

Roadster280
1st Feb 2016, 16:20
Always turns out at Remembrance Day as a Flt Lt though! :ok:

Well he'll be incorrectly dressed if he does that this year!

CoffmanStarter
1st Feb 2016, 16:22
I genuinely posted this thread as a Good News item ...

I've never met HRH in person (nor would I want his job), but based on what he says and does, along with the genuine feeling and warmth with which he says what he says and the way he conducts himself ... suggests to me ... come the time he gently holds the Sceptre in his right hand and holds the Orb in his left and the Arch Bish utters that time honoured phase 'You Have Control' ... I reckon we'll have a good man up front :ok:

Others, of course, are entitled to their own opinion ...

Coff.

Roadster280
1st Feb 2016, 16:26
I genuinely posted this thread as a Good News item ...

I've never met HRH in person (nor would I want his job), but based on what he says and does, along with the genuine feeling and warmth with which he says what he says and the way he conducts himself ... suggests to me ... come the time he gently holds the Sceptre in his right hand and holds the Orb in his left and the Arch Bish utters that time honoured phase 'You Have Control' ... I reckon we'll have a good man up front :ok:

Others, of course, are entitled to their own opinion ...

Coff.

Agreed!

I wonder which uniform he'll wear to his coronation though? RN Admiral by then?

racedo
1st Feb 2016, 18:22
I really think we need a complete and utterly indifferent smilie.

If he needs the money because he has a young family maybe Grandma can sell something like Buckinghamshire.............:E

bspatz
1st Feb 2016, 18:46
It seems that for major occasions, such as weddings, the requirement is for royalty to wear the most eye catching outfit which probably rules out the RAF No1 uniform!

Danny42C
1st Feb 2016, 21:10
It couldn't be because the R.A.F are not quite...you know......:rolleyes: ?

Training Risky
1st Feb 2016, 21:53
I think Wills did really well to get an air ambulance job after a couple of years as a SAR co-pilot and Captain...considering it takes a normal shag a whole career and 2000+ hours to get anywhere near police or air ambulance flying...

Courtney Mil
1st Feb 2016, 22:11
come the time he gently holds the Sceptre in his right hand and holds the Orb in his left and the Arch Bish utters that time honoured phase 'You Have Control' ... I reckon we'll have a good man up front

Hear, hear!

Tankertrashnav
1st Feb 2016, 22:35
It seems that for major occasions, such as weddings, the requirement is for royalty to wear the most eye catching outfit which probably rules out the RAF No1 uniform!

In the run up to the wedding I joined in the speculation that he might appear in a surprise reintroduction of the pre-war RAF full dress, which was quite swish (although NOT with the very silly hat!) There was a precedent, as his great grandfather, King George VI (then The Duke of York) married in this uniform in 1923.

CoffmanStarter
2nd Feb 2016, 16:34
TTN ...

Just a tangential thought ... sadly at some future date, there will need to be a wholesale change of 'Crowns' for the Military. Are you aware of any precedence ? Presumably uniform insignia will have some priority ... Quite a costly and logistical challenge ?

Roadster280
2nd Feb 2016, 17:18
TTN ...

Just a tangential thought ... sadly at some future date, there will need to be a wholesale change of 'Crowns' for the Military. Are you aware of any precedence ? Presumably uniform insignia will have some priority ... Quite a costly and logistical challenge ?

Not necessarily. If the future monarch decides to use the same crown, then no need to change the badges. This business of "King's" and "Queen's" crown is a bit of a misnomer, I understand. The monarch is crowned with the Imperial State Crown.

What WILL change is the royal cypher. EIIR is not going to be the future royal cypher, and it is in widespread use.

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2016, 17:36
What WILL change is the royal cypher. EIIR is not going to be the future royal cypher

Take your pick:- Charles Philip Arthur George . . .

or, maybe, we will have a republic? Jeremy I?

Fortissimo
2nd Feb 2016, 18:10
"Comrade Corbyn Rules" = CIIR, so both would fit.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Feb 2016, 08:41
Not necessarily. If the future monarch decides to use the same crown, then no need to change the badges. This business of "King's" and "Queen's" crown is a bit of a misnomer, I understand. The monarch is crowned with the Imperial State Crown.

The crown depicted on badges and buttons up to the end of Queen Victoria's reign is known as St Edward's Crown. Victoria disliked wearing this crown as it was too heavy and a new crown, known as the Imperial Crown was made for her when she was proclaimed Empress of India. Confusingly this is the one popularly known as the "king's crown' which appeared on badges, buttons etc from the beginning of the reign of King Edward VII until the end of King George VI's reign. The queen's crown now shown is in fact a modified version of the St Edward's Crown as used on insignia in Victorian times. My guess is that the future King Charles (or whatever) will continue to use the St Edward's Crown, but I dont think he will be bound by precedence. Of course lots of army regiments and corps have the royal cipher on their badges and buttons, so they will need to change, as Roadster points out.

CoffmanStarter
3rd Feb 2016, 08:48
Many thanks TTN and Roadster :ok:

tmmorris
3rd Feb 2016, 10:37
It couldn't be because the R.A.F are not quite...you know......:rolleyes: ?

You might be right (the school where I teach almost exclusively produces Guards officers) but they were certainly good enough for pretty much all royals and policitians to be seen in RAF uniform in ww2...

London Eye
3rd Feb 2016, 18:28
His Royal Highness has got a bright future. What an easy OJAR to write: I have never seen a clearer case of exceptional potential to 4* :}

Dusty_B
3rd Feb 2016, 20:06
4*?
I think we'll find he'll probably make 5*

Danny42C
3rd Feb 2016, 22:03
tmmorris (your #44),
...they were certainly good enough for pretty much all royals and policitians to be seen in RAF uniform in ww2...
On "Pilot's Brevet" (p.120 #2398), I say:
...At that stage of the War, the RAF enjoyed enormous prestige. Only eighteen months before, against all the odds, it had won the Battle of Britain and saved the country from invasion. "I do not say that the French cannot come", old Admiral St.Vincent had said a century and a half before, "I only say they cannot come by sea". To this we had added: "Or by air".

Moreover, we were the only Service fully on the offensive. Bomber Command was hitting back, night after night, far harder, but in exactly the same way, as the enemy had bombed (and were still bombing) us in the "Blitz". Nobody felt the slightest guilt about it at the time - that was a luxury we could allow ourselves post-war, long after the danger was past.

The other two Services simply could not compete in the glamour stakes.....
We were the "blue-eyed" boys then (didn't last).

Danny.

rmac
3rd Feb 2016, 23:07
Danny, I'm only 52 and already nostalgic for "better days", christ knows how you must feel mate....

(ps. check your PM's)

onetrack
4th Feb 2016, 01:21
I don't think there's any real need for an urgent rush to a new Royal Cipher just yet.
Just looking at the healthiness of HRH, I reckon she's good for another 15 years at least - and I seem to recall from many, many years ago, that some noted seer predicted that Charles will never become King.
If Elizabeth holds onto the Crown until her last breath - as she has often stated that she will do - and as the longevity of her mother has a large bearing on her longevity as well - then I wouldn't be in the least surprised, to see Elizabeth make it to at least the age her Mother reached.
Charles could well have pre-deceased Elizabeth by then, paving the way for William to step straight into the big golden seat.

I trust the Duke enjoys his new rank - which the majority of people fully understand has a large honorary content for most of the Royal Family, anyway.
There's nothing like a few insignia and some fancy gold braid to obtain genuflection from the plebs. :)

Roadster280
4th Feb 2016, 02:17
I trust the Duke enjoys his new rank - which the majority of people fully understand has a large honorary content for most of the Royal Family, anyway.
There's nothing like a few insignia and some fancy gold braid to obtain genuflection from the plebs. :)

He's only a squabbling bleeder so far!

BATCO
4th Feb 2016, 03:18
OneTrack said
"Charles could well have pre-deceased Elizabeth by then, paving the way for William to step straight into the big golden seat."

Except, barring other deaths, that would leave Prince Andrew as her heir and successor. So, coronation in Admiral's uniform.

Regards
Batco

BEagle
4th Feb 2016, 06:39
Nope, Air Miles Andy is actually 6th in line, with the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Henry ahead of him.

BATCO
4th Feb 2016, 06:55
Beags
Happy to be corrected but my understanding is that if, as I quoted from a previous poster, Prince Charles predeceases his mother then at that point the line of succession changes. You have described the current line (ie Charles is still alive at time of QE2's death) I have pointed out what happens if....

Regards
Batco

Archimedes
4th Feb 2016, 07:58
The succession doesn't work like that, BATCO. Although you have to go back a while for the example (at least in terms of the monarch; the principles apply (with minor variations) to hereditary peers as well) George II outlived his son Frederick by 9 years; upon Geo II's death, Frederick's son became George III. Going even further back, Richard II was another instance of a grandson succeeding. Were Charles to predecease HMQ, the Duke of Cambridge would become heir apparent.

Only if Charles were to become king and then abdicate might the question about his children's place in the line of succession arise, since he might, in theory - like Edward VIII - be called upon to renounce the right of his descendants to the throne. This would be highly unlikely, though, since in Edward's case, he was childless, but had 'form'... The concern was that Mrs Simpson would leave him, that he'd marry someone in due course and have a child with her, whereupon that child would have had a claim to the throne. The renunciation of descendants' rights to the throne solved that possible problem.

In Charles's case, the line of succession is clear, and it would be inconceivable that the instrument of abdication would make any renunciation of William or George's position in the line.

BATCO
4th Feb 2016, 08:42
Arch
Many thanks, I stand corrected.
Beags has it.
..... and all the best to all the Queen's heirs and successors.

Batco

Heathrow Harry
4th Feb 2016, 12:27
we could of course call time on the whole shooting match as the Australians seem likely to do soon......................

teeteringhead
4th Feb 2016, 12:47
Take your pick:- Charles Philip Arthur George . . One understand that the smart money is on GVIIR ...... :ok:

Charles could well have pre-deceased Elizabeth by then But if he lasts as long as his father .....

Nope, Air Miles Andy is actually 6th in line BEags is of course correct. And there are some "novel and adventurous" names further down the list...

.... given a suitable epidemic or similar, we have potential Queen Zara and Queen Mia waiting at # 16 & 17, we could have King Columbus or King Cassius a bit further down at # 41 & 42 or - probably my favourite name - Queen Zenouska bringing up the rear at #56. Not the complete and final rear of course, but that's the last of the - at present - living and eligible descendants of George V.

Heathrow Harry
4th Feb 2016, 12:50
any country that could put up with the Hannoverians can put up with anyone....

Tankertrashnav
4th Feb 2016, 15:28
I once met a woman whose husband was something like 76th in line to the throne. She told me that they used to invent totally far-fetched scenarios where the other 75 either all popped off or were disposed of, something like a very extended version of Kind Hearts and Coronets. She was in fact a very nice lady and a good laugh, and I got the impression they were quite content with their comfortable lifestyle without all the attendant nausea that being near the top of the list entails.

HH I'd rather put up with the Hanovers (or the Saxe Coburg Gothas or the Windsors) than the Clintons, Bushes, Sarkozys, Hollandes, etc. I'm pretty sure the Australians will call time on the whole shooting match, and good luck to them, but there isn't a hope in hell that we will, which must be a constant source of annoyance to British republicans.

Re the name, I understand that monarchs do not have to chose from any of their given names when choosing a regnal name, so he could reign as King Marmaduke if he felt like it, but I reckon he'll go for George as well

Heathrow Harry
4th Feb 2016, 16:25
TTV - I tend to agree that our Royals are more cost effective and a better deal than some presidents although of course in many countries (not France or the USA) the Pres. is a figure head not an active politician

But England is a funny place - we can go for years, even centuries, plodding along with strange traditions, laws, customs etc and then they change overnight - and 6 months later people can't even remember the old system

I doubt Republicans will do it - it's more likely someone royal doing something so idiotic that people suddenly decide on a change......

and the next incumbent looks like a possible I think..............

G-CPTN
4th Feb 2016, 17:02
M*hammad . . .

Onceapilot
4th Feb 2016, 19:49
Chugalug2, ref your PS. I happened to look this up and you may be pleased to hear that a Flt Lt may continue to use their rank after retirement. :cool: Furthermore, the rank may continue to be used with or without the addition of "retired or ret'd". Cheers

OAP

Heathrow Harry
5th Feb 2016, 11:26
but it makes you look like a prat in the eyes of the Great British Public

They associate military men hanging on to a ranke after they've retired with the Major in Fawlty Towers

Genstabler
5th Feb 2016, 15:46
HH
I suspect we can confidently disregard your credentials as a mouthpiece of the Great British Public.

pr00ne
5th Feb 2016, 16:58
Genstabler,

While I might agree with you on a LOT of things we see posted from HH, as far as ex military folk using rank when retired, I think he is spot on! Over the years and at all levels I have found it is seen as incredibly naff, laughable and a little odd.

Tankertrashnav
6th Feb 2016, 09:40
For those who haven't seen it before I will repeat my oft related story about the retired admiral who came to live in a Cornish village. On his first visit to the pub, the landlord asked him how he would like to be addressed. "Call me admiral, or Sir John, I dont mind which" was the reply. On his next visit he was somewhat taken aback when a local in the corner of the bar called out, "Hello sailor!"

TTN
Flight Lieutenant (Ret'd) ;)

Clockwork Mouse
6th Feb 2016, 15:52
Even after he retired my father hated it when phone callers said "can I call you Edward" and used to say "no. I am Doctor Mouse". He'd worked hard enough to gain the qualification and felt he deserved some respect. Later, when he was ill in hospital, the nurses tried to call him Edward and he told them no, he was Doctor Mouse.
I fully support his line. There is too much intrusive informality these days, especially noticeable on the TV with interviewers. Bloody rude some of them.

Courtney Mil
6th Feb 2016, 16:29
Over the years and at all levels I have found it is seen as incredibly naff, laughable and a little odd.

Are you sure you're mixing with the right crowd there? :sad:

Clockwork Mouse,

Oh, I agree 100%. My Mum in her later years had a few unplanned visits to various hospitals where they all just assumed they could call he Phyllis, which made her visibly wince. I recommended that it might be polite to call her Mrs Courtnage. All I got was blank looks so I pointed out that it might be less formal for them that calling her Alderman or Your Worship. They went with Mrs Courtnage.

glad rag
6th Feb 2016, 16:45
Indeed, why is this practice allowed to continue in the NHS?.

I ******* bet they get coloured names right.

Says the man who found his mother lying in a gournry (for KenV) in Gartnavel Hospital some 23 years ago...then found her again in a four bed unit quite coherent but without the slightest idea why they were calling her young...

Tankertrashnav
6th Feb 2016, 17:07
Recent conversation chez TTN.

Mrs TTN "Someone on the phone asking to speak to Alan ".

Me "Hello, Alan TTN here".

Caller "Hello Alan, how are you today?"

Me "Sorry, who are you?"

Caller "It's Nigel calling from Dodgy Investment Opportunities, inc"

Me "And how old are you Nigel?"

Nigel "Um, er, I'm 25".

Me "Then I suggest that next time you call up someone who don't know, who happens to be 69 by the way, you address him as Mr or Mrs and their surname. Goodbye"

Click.

Incidentally why have hospital trollies started to be called gurneys? Seems to be a recent thing.

Roadster280
6th Feb 2016, 18:05
Is it a retirement thing to insist on ranks and titles?

I was at a meeting yesterday with an RN Commander and an RAF Wing Commander, both in uniform. Both introduced themselves by their shortened forenames, let's say Nick and Bill, though that's not their names. Nice chaps, engaging conversation. It was an official meeting on official business, they were representing their departments.

Here's me, Sgt (ret'd), on first name terms with the equivalent rank of my old CO. But I'm long out of it and they are still in. I doubt either will be using their ranks in retirement if they don't use them while serving and meeting outsiders.

jumpseater
6th Feb 2016, 19:37
TTN Incidentally why have hospital trollies started to be called gurneys? Seems to be a recent thing.

It's a service thing, if you've not worked in the NHS you wouldn't get it.

Melchett01
6th Feb 2016, 20:17
OJAR to write: I have never seen a clearer case of exceptional potential to 4*

You can't just write that and expect the Board to buy it, you have to provide the evidence!

I mean, how many Summer Balls has he organised???

India Four Two
6th Feb 2016, 21:05
Down the road from my Mum's house, there was a retired Ghurka General. I met him a couple of times and he was a nice, unassuming, very informal chap.

His very much younger, second-wife was very concerned that us 'locals' were not paying him due deference and suggested to all and sundry, that he should be addressed as General.

She was known ever afterwards as Mrs. General!

The Duke of Cambridge seems to me, from a distance, to be a thoroughly nice chap and he is managing to do a worthwhile job, while he waits in line. Concerning his promotion, he's going to be going up the rank structure to the very top, so at least they are getting started!

I42
Acting Pilot Officer (Ret'd)

Courtney Mil
6th Feb 2016, 21:28
Pilot (retd). That is all.

Tankertrashnav
6th Feb 2016, 21:42
It's a service thing, if you've not worked in the NHS you wouldn't get it.

Mrs TTN worked in the NHS on and off for 40 years (apart from a spell in the QAs) and she tells me she never heard the term when she was working. So she doesn't get it either.

:confused:

Courtney Mil
6th Feb 2016, 21:59
American term, TTN.

goofer
7th Feb 2016, 01:00
Returning briefly to the issue of royalty and military rank: the British system assumes, under the constitution, that the Royal Family is the theatrical representation of the commander in chief - hence we insist on dressing our Windsors in grandiose military uniforms with inflated rank, all conceivable twiddly bits, world cup medals, wider gold braid, expensively-pre-faded denim etc. If we accept that the present system represents popular consensus (a big assumption) then the key question is whether the inflated Royal rank leads to exaggerated self-regard of the royal person wearing the uniform. To my knowledge Prince Charles, alone with his mirror, actually believes he merits the 5* uniform with which it is his pleasure to wear. So by all means, let us indulge the Windsors and their sycophants when they appear in their operatic outfits: but we should be constantly on alert gently to inform those easily taken in that our royal family's role is symbolic and no more. And if you can drill that lesson into the Duke of Cambridge, his press handlers and his heirs and successors then so much the better.

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2016, 09:06
It's not just the Windsors, goofer. The so-called "bicycling monarchies" of Europe (there's a myth if ever there was one) are also quite keen on dressing up as generals, admirals, etc. Here's King Willem-Alexander of The Netherlands, complete with orders, medals and lots of braid (top centre).

https://www.pinterest.com/elegancehq/uniforms/

Thanks, Courtney Mil - I suppose if I had ever watched ER I'd have known!

Chugalug2
7th Feb 2016, 10:05
OAP:-
Chugalug2, ref your PS. I happened to look this up and you may be pleased to hear that a Flt Lt may continue to use their rank after retirement.

That's wonderful news, I shall be sending out corrections to all my online accounts immediately! Or is this something to be wary of perhaps? If I can go on calling myself Flt Lt, without even a (retd) qualification, cannot the RAF do the very same? Might I be receiving a telegram requiring me to report to some mobilisation centre, kitted out, given a bit of "Sgt. Mjr. Marching Up and Down the Parade Square" practice and then issued a warrant to somewhere sunny and sandy?

On second thoughts just call me chug, you haven't seen me and you know nothing about me, right?

No Fly Zone
7th Feb 2016, 10:15
No one tells your royals what they can and cannot do, so they get into ANY military school that that they wish, are coddled until they eventually pass (perhaps 2x - 3x normal time?) and the get decorated to the hilt. It makes the uniforms look better. With little or no formal education, how can those youngsters really THINK like mature officers? They cannot. With a couple of exceptions, they are window dressing, useless as combat pilots and a huge drain on the training system. Military service is simply not the place for the part time royal brats. Nuts.

Genstabler
7th Feb 2016, 10:48
NFZ
That's an unnecessarily poisonous and ill informed post from across the pond about how we Brits choose to do things over here! I presume you support Donald Trump?

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2016, 16:01
No one tells your royals what they can and cannot do, so they get into ANY military school that that they wish, are coddled until they eventually pass (perhaps 2x - 3x normal time?) and the get decorated to the hilt. It makes the uniforms look better. With little or no formal education, how can those youngsters really THINK like mature officers? They cannot. With a couple of exceptions, they are window dressing, useless as combat pilots and a huge drain on the training system. Military service is simply not the place for the part time royal brats. Nuts.

I was going to answer this idiot's post point by point, then I remembered the old maxim

"Dont feed the trolls"

So I think I'll just save myself a lot of typing.

Tourist
7th Feb 2016, 16:10

Until I saw the following posts, I'd assumed it was a spoof post from somebody doing a good impression of a Redneck retard rather than an actual retard.

Courtney Mil
7th Feb 2016, 16:16
NFZ, great bile and anger there so top marks for theatrical performance.

But your claims are wrong on every single count. I suggest you change newspapers - or maybe even try reading one.

Good to see there are experts on the Royal Family in Oregon. In fact, I'm impressed you've heard of them.

ExRAFRadar
7th Feb 2016, 18:17
NFZ - WORST.WAH.EVER.

Come on mate, you will have to do better than that.

Get over to Arrse for some tuition.

You have to start slow, like making a good chilli.

For example, something like:

"Harry has Pilot's wings on the Uniform, are they valid for the Gunner position or is it a generic set of Wings the knuckle draggers issue once you work out which way to sit in the thing"

And like any good Sniper you need to adjust your position to keep the target in your sights. And I know about the art of sniping I was the first ASOP Sniper to serve with THEM.

Genstabler
7th Feb 2016, 18:40
I get it! NFZ has been watching "The Royals" on telly and believes it's a documentary like U531.

Courtney Mil
7th Feb 2016, 18:41
You're going to quickly, ExRAFRadar. He needs to start with this:

Here is Spot. Here is the ball. Spot wants the ball. Run, Spot, run!