PDA

View Full Version : 'RAF' Catterick

chevvron
27th Jan 2016, 16:36
Fly in being organised for July or August. See thread in 'Private Flying' forum.

dctyke
27th Jan 2016, 20:36
Hope they move all the cars and the fancy grass mounds off the old runway then ;)

tmmorris
28th Jan 2016, 13:22
Planning a grass strip parallel (and I assume south of old runway) according to the link.

MATELO
28th Jan 2016, 14:39
It would have to be a good way south of the runway as there is a fence and bushes to contend with.

At max the runway would be 500m and you would have the woods to the East to contend with.

chevvron
28th Jan 2016, 16:39
It would have to be a good way south of the runway as there is a fence and bushes to contend with.

At max the runway would be 500m and you would have the woods to the East to contend with.

Talking in terms of about 815m

Tankertrashnav
28th Jan 2016, 21:54
I did two years at Catterick when it was the RAF Regiment Depot, and there was an amazing selection of aircraft there at the fire school , including a Valiant which had arrived some time in 1964. There was no ATC there but we still had occasional flights in and out by comms aircraft, and I flew out on a trip to Odiham in an Anson in 1965. I was pleased to get a flight into Catterick in my log book when a Nav School Varsity was flown in there for burning in 1970. A few years later I was disappointed not to get on the crew of a Victor K1 being flown in from Marham. I've posted Tony Cunnane's description of flying the aircraft in before, but its a good read so worth posting the link again

Final flight of Victor XA939 to Catterick - Tony Cunnane's Autobiography (http://tonycunnane.uk/page-364.html)

Hangarshuffle
28th Jan 2016, 22:11
What flew there in the war? Halifax Bombers? Over time it was strange to see it look less and less like an airfield, what with the small hills and trees and vehicles appearing.

pr00ne
29th Jan 2016, 00:44
Hangarshuffle,

Nope, no Halifax's, it was a Fighter Command station throughout its active airfield life, Hurricanes and Spitfires in the main during WW2.