PDA

View Full Version : When do you need an AOC?

Licence to Learn
27th Jan 2016, 15:08
Hello all,

I've worked in the aviation industry for some ten years now and I've always fancied setting up my own ops support company with a view to build it up to a full time business.

My bread and butter would be providing support services such as trip managemnet, i.e. flight plogs, notams and wx. filing flight plans etc.

The other service that I would like to offer is more of an operational duty such as booking hotel rooms for crew and pax, arranging PPR, sending GARs, arranging fueling, catering request, arranging handling requests (p.p.r) as well as booking transport for crew and passengers.

There are two questions on my mind.

Firstly; as I would not be operating the aircraft, only supporting it, would I require an AOC licence?

The second question is related to vat. If I were to offer this service, are there any tax implications that need to be charged to the customer based on supporting aircraft domestically and internationally? I realise that if an aircraft is chartered and it has an international destination/departure than vat is non-chargable and I also realise that if the companies turn over is more than £75,000 per year then we would have to charge vat anyway.

Thank you for your insights!

dc9-32
27th Jan 2016, 16:52
You don't need an AOC as you are not an operator, but you will need a good accountant :cool:

GlenQuagmire
28th Jan 2016, 09:22
You'll need a fair sized crowbar - it's a crowded marketplace...
Tis a tough nut to crack as to get any work you need to have a decent amount of experience so it's all a bit catch22

Licence to Learn
29th Jan 2016, 08:54
Thanks guys - Do any of you have any first hand experience trying to crack this nut?

Good Business Sense
29th Jan 2016, 10:55
Licence to Learn

Just for your info there are loads of apps that do that sort of thing now and they cost about £7 month .... and they're very good

Licence to Learn
29th Jan 2016, 14:18
Do you have any names I can research to hand?

Thanks!