PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific planning to rename Dragon Air to "Cathay Dragon"

amalfi
27th Jan 2016, 06:17
A bit too much... Don't you think?
Cathay Pacific set to rebrand Dragonair as ?Cathay Dragon? in bid to strengthen corporate identity | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/1905776/cathay-pacific-set-rebrand-dragonair-cathay-dragon-bid-strengthen?utm_content=buffer6501e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

crwkunt roll
28th Jan 2016, 02:58
Needs a space between "DRAG" and "ON"

Frogman1484
28th Jan 2016, 03:14
I thought that was the usual call sign when we do the KA flights to RCKH😊

OK4Wire
28th Jan 2016, 03:21
I reckon that's where they got the idea from, Froggy!

Average Fool
28th Jan 2016, 03:26
I am proud, yes, very proud.

Interested_Party
28th Jan 2016, 03:38
Did they borrow the tails from Qantas? It looks too similar.

RusCo
28th Jan 2016, 03:59
Did anyone go to the dog and pony show?

Soul planet
28th Jan 2016, 04:15
http://www.smartcabincrew.com/wp-content/uploads/turkish-airlines.jpg

more like

http://www.gotrip.hk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/cathyDragon_launch3-1024x460.jpg

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/04/27/1226340/592663-qantas-ba-escape.jpg

mr did
28th Jan 2016, 06:49
Now it just looks like a headless Qantas kangaroo..

The beginning of a whole new journey.... wow.

shortly2
28th Jan 2016, 07:47
So Nero is still fiddling.

hyg
28th Jan 2016, 09:34
passengers who are colour blind won't be able to tell the difference and get to the wrong plane:}:}

qld330
28th Jan 2016, 13:12
Directly from Mr. CEO - "China (or mainland China as the video is subtitled) is going to have 90 million more pax per year within the next 4 years. We're not going to buy any new aircraft to capture that exciting rapidly expanding market, instead we will repaint the aircraft and maybe stick some sharklets on the minibuses to magically get all those pax to fly with us).

I don't know whats going on with the guys on the 5th floor but changing the paint job is not a major announcement. They seemed very excited about it though. Mr CEO said 4 or 5 times that he hoped everybody was happy with the announcement. Buying some new reliable aircraft which don't cause cancelled flights and loss of brand confidence would make people (staff and passengers) happier and be cause for a big announcement.

On another note, both CEO's seemed very nervous of 'KA Secrets' and 'CX Secrets' whatever that may be. It got mentioned several times. Seems the cabin crew scare the management a lot more than the pilots...but we already knew that.

Average Fool
28th Jan 2016, 14:11
True, but if their hearing works it will be obvious from all the whinging:p

Gnadenburg
28th Jan 2016, 16:42
I won't be upgrading my desk models as I'm not sure of the new Cathay in Drag livery.

MELDreamer
28th Jan 2016, 22:27
Any old-timers will remember 'Hong Kong Dragon'. Both a way to contact company when out of VHF coverage (way before cell phones) and an unfortunate nickname afforded to the wife of a long gone very senior Captain. :O
Those were the days!

Shutterbug
28th Jan 2016, 22:27
"China (or mainland China as the video is subtitled) is going to have 90 million more pax per year within the next 4 years. We're not going to buy any new aircraft to capture that exciting rapidly expanding market

We'll see. Just read this glorious summation on the state of the commie economy. It's a doozy:

Red Ponzi Ticking | David Stockman's Contra Corner (http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/red-ponzi-ticking/)

AsiaMiles
29th Jan 2016, 00:18
This is only part of the news.

They are waiting until after Chinese New Year to release information about the changes for staff. They don't want any staff problems over the New year.

betpump5
29th Jan 2016, 03:07
Asiamiles,

Our "she isn't so bad, her heart is in the right place, give her a chance " DFO has sent an email stating there will be no changes for staff.

So yes you are right. There will be changes

LapSap
29th Jan 2016, 03:29
Good day to announce, with delays to Shanghai running at 14 hours +.
Who wants to run an airline in that sort of environment?:ugh:

GMEDX
29th Jan 2016, 07:45
The darker red for the tail imitates Virgin. Their 787s look extremely smart by the way. Can't see how it was a "major" announcement.

joblow
29th Jan 2016, 13:51
Amazingly innovative new name , must have taken years of meetings to come up with that brainwave . The red is nowhere close to Virgin's deep red but we will see when the first paint job is completed .it doesn't look too bad though .

So what is their new call sign to be

Soul planet
29th Jan 2016, 13:57
The rebranding will see a new livery created for Cathay Dragon featuring a Cathay-style brushwing logo. The livery will appear for the first time on one of Cathay Dragon’s Airbus A330-300 aircraft in April, and will be progressively introduced to the rest of the fleet.

The Cathay Pacific group will spend HK$100 millionon launching international advertising and marketing campaigns to publicize the new corporate image by the end of this year. :sad:

source: Enter the new sky ?dragon? ? HK - China Daily Asia (http://www.chinadailyasia.com/hknews/2016-01/29/content_15379830.html)

Soul planet
29th Jan 2016, 14:01
Dragonair founders’ daughter ‘sad’ to see brand go as Cathay Pacific unveils Cathay Dragon :sad:

The end of three decades of the Dragonair name and the iconic red dragon logo that adorned the planes of Hong Kong’s first local airline has stirred fond memories for the daughter of the carrier’s founder.

“it is sad that such decision has been made as I have very fond memories of how involved my father was in designing and picking the name and logo. Our family exited Dragonair many years ago. Regardless of the changes, we will always be remembered as the founders of the company,” she said. -SCMP

..... Yes indeed there are many who grew up with the brand, thirty years of solid branding all gone, replaced by a exact same logo of a different colour that cost 100 million? I am sad too. :{

CISTRS
29th Jan 2016, 14:17
The result:

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd’s share price dropped 1.15 percent to close at HK$12.4 apiece on Thursday.

mngmt mole
29th Jan 2016, 14:39
$100 million plus for 'rebranding' ? (new paint). I suggest the first $100 million be put aside for staff profit sharing. New paint can wait.

Ben revoD
29th Jan 2016, 16:15
Passenger....

"How odd. Last time I was in Hong Kong there were lots of Cathay aircraft. Now there are just PIA and QF."

Lowkoon
4th Feb 2016, 05:22
"Change is in the air!" - you can smell it descending through 5000' on a good day, and 20,000' on a 'misty' day...

Certainly looks like a headless Roo! Will also be a nightmare for our colour blind customers...

Someone did a stylised Dragon on a 787 photoshop job, that got my vote, looked great!

Soooo, a ten year think tank comes up with "new paint". Certainly gives us confidence going forward with the oldest fleet in the HK china region. Mutton dressed up as lamb... "Just whack some lipstick on her, she will go for another decade... Then we can announce that we will change the carpets!" - Bonuses all round...

I must admit I swallowed the seemless ticketing argument for all of 5 minutes until i came to the startling conclusions that the names are STILL different. :confused: