PDA

View Full Version : Security Question for Frankfurt

alserire
26th Jan 2016, 16:38
When arriving from non Schengen to FRA connecting to Schengen I've had to go through security at FRA despite having connecting boarding pass and luggage checked through. Am I missing something or is this standard there? It doesn't happen on return trips and it doesn't happen in the likes of Zurich for example. Am I taking a wrong turn somewhere?

ExXB
26th Jan 2016, 17:09
Travelling from the US? Different rules apply.

jackieofalltrades
26th Jan 2016, 17:22
I don't know per se about Frankfurt, but at Schiphol if you arrive from a non-Schengen and are departing on a Schengen flight, you have to clear security as well as passport control.

I understand that is a common ruling for all Schengen flights connecting from a non-Schengen country.

alserire
26th Jan 2016, 17:31
No, just Dublin. It's a pain to be honest. Security at Dublin would meet the highest standard. Having to do it again at FRA or anywhere is a pain and doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. No issue with passport but that's what Schengen is about surely. You don't leave a secure zone when transferring so it seems strange to make you go through security again if you are coming from Dublin but not, say, from Paris or Rome.

Piltdown Man
27th Jan 2016, 18:57
Jackie - That's not the case at Schiphol any more. Since about July last year you only have to flash your passport when transit the Schengen border. Some national carriers may insist on a further security check, but that is not because if Euro regulations.

PM

jackieofalltrades
27th Jan 2016, 21:25
Thanks PM. Good to know.

I was last in Schiphol in Oct and found it to be a huge construction site, but as I wasn't going in/out of any Schengen countries I didn't pay attention to that area. But in the past I've been close to missing flights because of the time taken to clear passport checks and security to catch a Schengen flight.

I can book tighter connections now! :)

Hotel Tango
27th Jan 2016, 21:42
I can book tighter connections now!

A word of caution there jackieofalltrades, going through (non-Schengen to Schengen) at SPL yesterday I found passport control a complete shambles. It took me longer to go through than it did for me to clear immigration in Seattle a couple of months ago. It wasn't even the busiest time of the day!

alserire
27th Jan 2016, 21:57
I had booked a forty minute connection with LH from Dublin through Munich but the second flight has been changed so the connection is now thirty minutes. LH obviously feel they cannot connect that quick so they rerouted me through FRA with a 55 minute connection. I know FRA and it'll be tight timewise clearing both passport and security and then the tunnel from B gates to A gates but I've done it before. Just need to get out of DUB on time. But there is a flight to my final destination an hour after the one I'm scheduled on so it should work out ok.

Skipness One Foxtrot
27th Jan 2016, 22:58
It's a pain to be honest. Security at Dublin would meet the highest standard.
Someone please convince the UK DfT please, such a faff.

PAXboy
28th Jan 2016, 08:55
Really Skipness? Surely everyone knows that British is Best? :rolleyes: Only we know how to do things properly ...:hmm:

Piltdown Man
28th Jan 2016, 11:08
When you get to within 40 minutes of your flight departing you should be able to use the Short Connection Lane. This should mean that tight connections still remain doable. It won't make you heart beat any slower nor will it lower your blood pressure, but it is a facility available to connecting passengers.

PM

Hotel Tango
28th Jan 2016, 14:06
When you get to within 40 minutes of your flight departing you should be able to use the Short Connection Lane. This should mean that tight connections still remain doable. It won't make you heart beat any slower nor will it lower your blood pressure, but it is a facility available to connecting passengers.

Even that was a shambles the other day! No idea why, but it was.

alserire
28th Jan 2016, 16:37
They have a short connection lane in FRA too. Hopefully I won't have to use it!

Espada III
30th Jan 2016, 15:41
Last time I had a short connection at FRA the incoming plane was late. I was met at the air bridge and bussed directly to the gate for the next flight. Good old LH!

alserire
30th Jan 2016, 16:07
I'd settle for that Espada III !!!

It's a pleasure rather than a business trip and there is a further plane that day but you'd rather get a leisure break up and running without a hitch!