PDA

View Full Version : Advice on qualifications for the RAF.

Scratch One Bandit
22nd Jun 2002, 22:27
Hello all.

I would like to ask for some advice regarding applying to the RAF as pilot.

I recently attended an Officer presentation at my local AFCO, to enquire about applying as pilot to the RAF. I don't have any A Levels but have, what I feel, is the equivalent to a higher qualification. I have a Civil Aviation Authority Commercial Pilots Licence. This consists of 14 exams in various flying related subjects. I also have over 220 hours flying, a night rating, and multi-engine rating and civil aviation radio operators licence. I was told this was not an acceptable A-level equivalent qualification.

Is it worth me re-submitting my qualifications and asking for it to be considered again? Or are the rules laid down in 'black and white'? I can't study A levels now, due to my age, debts from commercial flight training, and no spare time in which to study.

Thank you for any input. Its much appreciated.

Scratch.

Slotback
22nd Jun 2002, 22:38
Whilst your CPL qualifications do involve all those exams etc they do not constitute an A level equivalent. The regulations, like most RAF admin is pretty much black and white, however it may be worth questioning it further. Do not forget that the qualifications that are required are to join as an officer - not as a pilot. You are an officer first then aircrew when it comes down to it.

WE Branch Fanatic
22nd Jun 2002, 22:57
Can't speak about the RAF but....

Why not consider the Army? Speak to the Army careers advisers. As an NCO pilot you will be able to fly Gazelle, Lynx or (possibly most exciting) Apache helicopters.

I not able to give advice but it might be worth thinking about.

Sloppy Link
22nd Jun 2002, 23:08
Try the other two services but remember, to fly in the Army as an NCO, you have to become one first! This involves employment either in the AAC as groundcrewman or any other part of the Army (Infantry/Engineers/Cooks et al) and get promoted on credit and merit. This is realistically going to take a minimum of four years and then you can apply for pilot training. From your post, the only option for you is as an Officer.

Good luck.

FJJP
23rd Jun 2002, 09:05
Find out from your nearest recruiting office the EXACT qualifications now required (it can change from time to time); then ask about exemptions or off-sets (quote your CPL quals). If the recruiting office staff still insist that your lack of A levels is a bar, ask for the address of the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Cranwell.

Then write to them direct, giving them a VERY brief CV, emphasising your CPL and asking for a ruling on whether or not your flying quals could off-set your lack of A levels.

If the recruiting office will not give you the address, e-mail me and I will find out for you.

canberra
23rd Jun 2002, 15:38
i must admit i didnt know that raf officers had to have a levels! i remember seeing an article in raf news in the late 80s about a combat ready pilot officer on 72 sqn. he was an ex british airways helicopter pilot.

Scratch One Bandit
25th Jun 2002, 21:10
Thank you all for the advice and comments chaps. It all helps. :)

FJJP - If I don't manage to get the address, I will certainly mail you. Cheers!