PDA

View Full Version : Below 1000 ft CAT II go around for amber caution

mi68guel
25th Jan 2016, 02:07
On "FAILURES AND ASSOCIATED ACTIONS BELOW 1,000 FT DURING CAT II APPROACH", one of the conditions for GO AROUND is :

"AMBER CAUTION (SINGLE CHIME)", so is a level 2 abnormal condition according to the ECAM levels of warnings and cautions.

I understand a level 3 Red warning with CRC is not a reason for going around during CAT II apch below 1000 ft , unless the fail affects the guidance (unstable).

What do you think about? ....I might be wrong

Ollie Onion
25th Jan 2016, 04:40
You are correct, there are numerous Red Warnings such as Fire that you wouldn't want to go around for whilst most Amber cautions don't have quite the same need to be on the ground so a Go-around to problem solve is a good idea.

seen_the_box
25th Jan 2016, 04:52
You can simplify it further: Go around for any master caution and any master warning except for a fire. Pretty much every master warning except for a fire will cause a downgrade and/or loss of APs so will require a go around.

It's worth noting that although Airbus do require a go around below 1000' for ANY master caution, some pragmatism is not a bad idea. Is it a good idea to go around for a bleed fault or loss of ATC datalink at 900', to take a couple of random examples?

RAT 5
25th Jan 2016, 11:06
mi68guel does not specify if the AP disconnects due amber caution. If it doesn't, and the autoland capability remains, why not continue? I'm talking airmanship decisions not specific type. If AB have such an SOP then so be it.

mi68guel
26th Jan 2016, 19:09
Tthanks for the answers