PDA

View Full Version : When/ How should I start my flight training

kknubie
24th Jan 2016, 09:17
Hi guys, so basically I'm from Australia and in uni, doing commerce and civil eng, about to start 3rd year and I want to start flying, since from working, I've saved roughly around what would be required to get my PPL.

My questions are basically when and how I should start - during my degree or after and if i decide to further pursue flying, how could I make it as my career from there, assuming I will have finished my degree. From what I understand, the Australian demand for pilots is pretty low, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

ersa
25th Jan 2016, 03:21
Complete your degree ....First book your self in for a class one medical , if all goes well, start looking at doing the PPL theory with the odd bit of flying ....

Go down to your local flying school and have a chat with the flying instructors....

BaronVonBarnstormer
25th Jan 2016, 15:19
If you're at uni look at joining your uni flying/gliding club if one exists. For me it was a really fun and cheap way to learn how to fly and gain my licence. I also got involved in the running of the uni gliding club which is a fantastic thing to talk about at interviews with the flying schools.

If a club at your uni doesn't exist take a look at your local gliding club. Often you'll find the cost of the flying is a fraction of what you would pay for flying a single engine piston aircraft at a flying school. Plus you're lucky enough to live in Australia where the soaring conditions are some of the best on the planet!

look at: http://juniorsoaring.com.au/

BVB

pilotornot
25th Jan 2016, 18:46
Finish University first. Competition is strong and your degree will help you a lot in the long run.