PDA

View Full Version : Qualification acceptance

jimmyjensenff
24th Jan 2016, 07:17
I live and work in Thailand and have a son who has always wanted to be a pilot, He was born in the UK and holds a British passport, as do i , my question is; are PPL and CPL licences plus ratings accepted by UK and other international airlines? i ask this because cost is quite a bit lower at the flight schools in Thailand. He is 16 soon so not too long to wait before he can start. I look forward to any reply's.

Duchess_Driver
25th Jan 2016, 12:45
The EASA aircrew regulation provides for the conversion of ICAO licences but it will depend upon what level (PPL/CPL/ATPL) as to how onerous that conversion process would be, i.e. What credit your son would be allowed against the training required to attain from scratch.

HTH

DD

jimmyjensenff
25th Jan 2016, 15:08
OK thanks for the info DD, at the moment we are kind of planning a full course at a flight school on the south coast (don't want to give their name at the moment) which is offering from nothing to a frozen commercial licence for a set fee. I am just wondering if it is worth him doing his PPL over here first to get a feel for the job and to see if it is really what he wants to do at a much lower cost than the UK. Cost over here is about 6k.