PDA

View Full Version : Question about Flight Control Anti-Jam Mechanisms

aviationluver
20th Jan 2016, 15:10
Hello,

I'm doing some studying of the CRJ and my study guide is a bit confusing. The CRJ uses some anti-jam, flight control separation mechanism on some controls like the aileron. In the system guide I'm using, the guide states that the Captain's side controls the Left System and the FO's side control the right system.

If the two control systems are jammed and then disconnected, can one side still actuate both ailerons? If so, how?

Thank you.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
20th Jan 2016, 15:48
If the disconnect is pulled in the cockpit, it physically disconnects the left and right control systems. In the case of the aileron, it's then pilot controls left aileron, co-pilot controls right. Without reconnecting the disconnect, there's no longer any connection to the "opposite side aileron"

edit to add that the disconnect is not the same as the "anti jam mechanism" - there is an "anti jam mechanism" in the rudder circuit - as there is only one rudder - whereas for aileron and elevator the disconnect option is used to isolate the jammed portion of the controls and leave some residual control capability

Amadis of Gaul
20th Jan 2016, 16:54
However one side can operate both spoilerons after the selection of ROLL SEL swtichlight. (I knew nearly 5,000 hours in CRJs did me some good!)