PDA

View Full Version : Mother Tongue of the Far East Forum

Sick Squid
22nd Jun 2002, 15:55
A reminder/request from PPRuNe International Headquarters;

Whilst those of us who look after the website have the utmost respect for the wishes of contributors to on occasion write in their mother-tongue, or the language of the country/airline under discussion, we would request that you refrain from this. Could we please therefore keep the contributions to this forum in English only.

Reasons for this are many, with the main one being that the board is owned and operated from Great Britain/USA and therefore primarily subject to the laws of those countries. Therefore, on a forum such as the Far East, which unlike the French, Italian, Scandinavian etc. forums does NOT have a specific language bias, and a fluent moderator in charge (Scandi is on the way this week, btw) it is impossible for us to verify the content of individual posts.

Also, on such a broad-based forum as the Far East, it is important that we can ALL communicate freely, regardles of which of the plethora of regional languages we speak, or which country we come from.

What I'm not referring to here are the occasional Kung Hei Fat Choy, or Salamat Po, rather entire posts or sentences in languages other than English. Also, as a poor simple lad from Scotland with only a working knowledge of French and Hindi (don't ask!), and an abysmal grasp of German, I'm just not up to it. The cunning linguist who could handle this forum in all its native tongues probably exists out there, but most likely is getting paid a lot more than most of us working for the UN! :)

Thanks for understanding..

Sick Squid
Far East Forum Moderator

Le Pilot
22nd Jun 2002, 21:34
Sir Squid
Maybe we should insist on the Queen's English.
Surely you should cut and paste onto D&G..... Those NG blokes are showing no respect to the Pigeons.
Consistancy by all moderators please.

Sick Squid
22nd Jun 2002, 22:27
I shall ensure that Woomera gets a special, private, and very severe visit from Miss Whiplash, Le Pilot.

£6

Le Pilot
23rd Jun 2002, 09:44
Much appreciated....

Nothing wrong with the occasional "melenky" bit of torture...Sorry not foreign speal just Clockwork Orange.

I will keep my foreign tongue out of your lovely forum! ;)

Accept my humble apology.
:)

PilotsPal
24th Jun 2002, 11:00
SS

There's no point in thrashing Woomera - he enjoys it far too much. And my shoulder's playing up something terrible this week.

Sick Squid
24th Jun 2002, 11:31
Oh PP, don't give me such thoughts so early in the day! Evil woman! ;)

Just to clarify further, Le Pilot, greetings, salutations, hello mate, basically the general polite traffic of a language is more than fine, to be expected and indeed welcome. The problem only arises when entire posts are written in something other than English.

I was most disappointed to see "A Clockwork Orange" on general video release last year; took away the secret delight I've had for the last 10 or so years in having a US copy on my shelves whist it was still banned/censored here in the UK!

Regards, and thanks to everyone for contributing, and keeping me in this highly paid moderating job... current rate is one pint of warm English beer a year, usually thrown over me by Danny.

£6

Le Pilot
24th Jun 2002, 21:02
The "Ultra violence" my brothers was more fun when it was banned.
Cheers:)

RV6
28th Jun 2002, 14:16
Hindi?

I know you said don't, but I couldn't help it!