PDA

View Full Version : Beech 350 severe icing

aviafly
19th Jan 2016, 15:52
Hello,
Can somebody tell me if the beech 350 PL21 is legal to fly severe icing condition 91-527? It's not a question about is it safe to do it? personaly I will not put my passenger in this environment, but can we say: we are legal to fly severe icing condition on the 350?
Thank for any light, the situation is confusing for me.

PEI_3721
19th Jan 2016, 16:04
aviafly, which definition of severe icing is being considered?
An en-route met forecast of severe icing may not preclude flight, but the aircraft definition of severe icing could;- the actual conditions at or beyond the capability of the aircraft’s de/anti icing system which requires immediate diversion from the route/altitude.

Mansfield
19th Jan 2016, 16:48
Aviafly:

I assume you are referring to the requirements in FAR 91.527. The language in paragraph (c) says:

Except for an airplane that has ice protection provisions that meet the requirements in section 34 of Special Federal Aviation Regulation No. 23, or those for transport category airplane type certification, no pilot may fly an airplane into known or forecast severe icing conditions.

The Beech 350 you refer to is, I assume, a variation of the Beech Model 300 (Super King Air). The Type Certificate Data Sheet for that model, under the certification basis, states that:

Compliance with ice protection has been demonstrated in accordance with FAR 25.1419 when ice protection equipment is installed in accordance
with the Equipment List.

FAR 25.1419 is the transport airplane category icing certification rule. So...in theory...it meets the requirements of 91.527 for flight into known or forecast severe icing.

Four caveats: First, what does the AFM or POH carried on board the aircraft say? That should reflect the TCDS, but it is controlling no matter what.

Two: Note that the TCDS language says "ice protection equipment is installed in accordance with the Equipment List". You'd better know what that is and be sure it is in compliance with the TCDS. For example, if you have an STC'd widget heater in place of the original widget heater, you're probably not in compliance with this language, and thus are not certificated for icing.

Three: Your avatar says you are in Europe. That may upset the applecart from the standpoint of operations; need to know more.

Four: Now that all that is squared away, we're back to PEI_3721's point: flight in severe icing, by definition, cannot be maintained. The only thing compliance with para (c) of 91.527 earns you is a get-out-of-jail free card when someone asks what you were doing in severe icing in the first place, assuming you land normally. Should you fail to land normally...many other questions will arise.

Hope that is of some value!

aviafly
20th Jan 2016, 10:01
Hello
Thank you both for these explanations, specialy concerning the beech compliance with the icing rules for transport cathegory, I wasn't sure of this.
So legaly if all systems works we can fly, but if... diversion.
Great value added,Thanks a lot.

john_tullamarine
21st Jan 2016, 02:02
Be wary of cold soak and fuel freezing in the wheel well area .. I have seen that nearly cause great embarrassment on a trans-Tasman flight. Fortunately one of the pilots twigged to what was causing the engine symptoms and they descended before the noise stopped ..