PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications query

class2ldn
19th Jan 2016, 13:50
Hi guys, posted on here a couple of times about changing careers and it's still something I am longing to do.
My query in regards to the qualifications stem from seeing the virgin pilots course last year.
It stipulated you had to have 5 a-c gcses including maths English and science or equivalent.
What's classed as equivalent as things like BTEC diplomas etc don't cover all them subjects.
I have a first diploma in public services and a GNVQ Intermediate in Health and Social Care.
I understand the diploma is equivalent to 4 gcses so what would I need to do to meet the requirements.
I'm 33 this year and currently a train driver which is a solid career but it's just not something I can see myself doing for the next 25 odd years.
Did look at ctc but the 100k and no guarantee at the end did put me off a bit so thinking of doing a modular approach.
In regards to qualifications I don't ideally want to be studying for a degree.
I live just outside of gatwick so will looking at training schools in the south.
Would I need to get extra qualifications and can I get in without a degree.
I've read through the ctc pages and people have mentioned being turned away by flybe etc because even though they passed the course their academic qualifications let them down.
Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jan 2016, 17:36
You don't need a degree, or even A-levels.

You don't need to do an expensive integrated course.

The clearcut equivalent to 5xGCSEs is to go to evening classes and pass five GCSEs. They're a good thing to have on numerous levels. GNVQs and the like are only theoretically equivalent - in practice they're not.

My suggestion - find a friendly flying school, do your PPL there. At the same time, do the five GCSEs at night school - they're well worth having wherever you go with your career.

Then re-assess: with the PPL and GCSE standard maths and science you're in a position to decide properly whether you want to move forwards and do the ATPL writtens and CPL flying.

Or you may just decide that driving a train is low stress and well paid, and fly for a hobby (or, say, instruct at weekends). You wouldn't be the first, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

G

class2ldn
19th Jan 2016, 17:46
Thanks for that much appreciated.
I'm not going to rush it by any means and modular will definitely be the way to go.
Don't think the Mrs would be happy if I had to put a 100k loan on the house lol.
Is there any well known schools at redhill aerodrome?
Not fussed about going local but obviously it would help.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jan 2016, 18:38
The new Flyer Magazine Learn to Fly Guide comes out about now - a tenner on that will show the main schools around the UK and their charges, as well as other useful general advice.

G

class2ldn
20th Jan 2016, 13:40
I've read some good reviews of Surrey and Kent at biggin hill but they only offer ppl.
Is it a good idea to do the lot at the same establishment?
Can I do my ppl here and then move somewhere else to work on the next stage?

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jan 2016, 18:44
Do your PPL locally - you'll need to make arrangements if you go that far to hourbuild somewhere.

It's generally believed that you should do your CPL, IR and if you do it, multi at the same school, but I'd not worry too much about your PPL.

G

class2ldn
20th Jan 2016, 22:30
Sounds good thanks.
One step at a time :)
I may be happy with just the ppl.
If however I do go the full hog do many UK airlines take people who are not from ctc, Oxford etc?
Also realistically what can you expect to take home as first officer when you start out?
Not particularly fussed but the trains do pay well, obviously nowhere near a pilot with a good few years under their belt but I understand I'd probably be taking a pay cut when /if I first start out.

paco
21st Jan 2016, 03:43
Ryanair are quite flexible in that regard.

Starting out? In some airlines you will be paying them :(

Sorry, couldn't resist that :), but there is one not a million miles from Glasgow who seem not to pay you until you have paid for all the training, including line checks.

Phil