PDA

View Full Version : 'Black Mike' - some good news!

Rhino power
19th Jan 2016, 09:20
Following the problems created by a certain light fingered miscreant last year, there is at last some good news regarding XV582's future. Here is a press release issued by BF4PAG and GJD Services...

"XV582 ‘Black Mike’ Purchase – Press Release – 001/16

For those of you that have been following the progress of The British F4 Phantom Aviation Groups’ campaign to save XV582 ‘Black Mike’ from its uncertain future. You will be aware the road has not been as smooth as most would have liked.
However I would like to announce that our campaign was a success.
With the kind and generous help from Mr Gary Spoors and his company GJD Services. We have been able to secure ‘Black Mike’, enabling us to focus on phase two of the campaign, ‘The Move’.
Mr Spoors was kind enough to purchase the aircraft on behalf of the group as well as paying for the transportation of ‘582 to Bruntingthorpe as initially planned.
There is an agreement in place that will allow BF4PAG to reimburse Mr Spoors for his generosity over a period of time. This will allow us to ensure the safety of the aircraft and give a greater time period in order to raise the required funds.
This is by no means the end and many more months of hard work await us, but at least we are now one more step closer. I would like to take this opportunity to make you all aware that we have a number of structured fund raising projects that will be rolled out in due course.
Finally I would like to express my thanks on behalf of The British F4 Phantom Aviation Group, to Gary Spoors and GJD Services for the generosity and assistance.

Sam Thompson
General Secretary
The British F4 Phantom Aviation Group"

Next stop, Bruntingthorpe! :ok:

-RP

Davef68
19th Jan 2016, 15:22
Sad to see it leaving Scotland (No RAF Phantoms preserved here!) but at least it will be preserved.

diginagain
19th Jan 2016, 15:53
Sad to see it leaving Scotland (No RAF Phantoms preserved here!) but at least it will be preserved.You could always sit and admire the Lightning preserved on the industrial estate outside Peterhead.

Linedog
19th Jan 2016, 16:08
Isn't there a Bucc on the forecourt of a petrol station at Elgin?

Tashengurt
19th Jan 2016, 21:59
I am surprised the museum of flight at East fortune doesn't have more representative airframes. Or at least paint them to resemble such.

PICKS135
20th Jan 2016, 21:37
Taschengurt :-
Theyve got one if the F3's ex Leuchars. The F-4 is ex US Navy so no chance unless they painted it in 74 Sqn Colours. Think the Lightning is ex Leuchars decoy too .
Dont really think they have any room for anything else at the moment. Concorde takes up a hell of a space.

Davef68
20th Jan 2016, 23:45
Ideally, the F4S (Owned by the FAA Museum IIRC) at East Fortune should have gone to Duxford for the AAM, EF could have got Black Mike (or any other ex-Leuchars Phantom) and the Duxford aircraft could have been preserved as an example of the F4J (UK) rather than de-converted back to USN markings

fallmonk
21st Jan 2016, 18:20
Yip it's still there "Buccaneer service" station ,
Nice guy Ian own's it also some target/recon pods hanging from forecourt roof !

Alber Ratman
21st Jan 2016, 20:02
Gary Spoors deserves all the credit IMHO. Truth be told , he had put a bid in for it originally I have heard. His company have the skill, the equipment and contacts to reduce the cost of dismantling / transportation. I know the Ulster Aviation Museums dismantling / transportation costs exceeded the price they paid for their frame and the LPGs Lightning purchase was an eye watering amount to a small volunteer operation for moving. I would also be surprised if the sale documents also do not restrict what one can do with the frame in regards to ITAR. I help out at a museum that has a Phantom frame brought via a dealer from the MoD. The ITAR documents are very specific on what we could do with our frame, which is not a lot.

November4
22nd Jan 2016, 15:02

Certainly is...

http://i66.tinypic.com/674l5x.jpg

Rhino power
23rd Jan 2016, 22:13
To streamline points of contact and make updates easier to follow, the various 'Black Mike' facebook pages will be closing over the coming weeks and all further info will be consolidated at the following single facebook group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/bf4pag/

-RP