PDA

View Full Version : MOD to dispose of 12 sites for development

Jucky
18th Jan 2016, 16:07
Looks like the MOD are flogging off a few more sites to raise money for the coughers! A shame they're planning to sell off the HMS NELSON wardroom though! :ugh:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-minister-mark-lancaster-announces-release-of-mod-sites-for-development

Wander00
18th Jan 2016, 18:11
HMS Nelson wardroom - another piece of history going

Haraka
18th Jan 2016, 18:14
Checking out of NELSON one morning after a heavy" Purple " celebration the night before, I quoted my temporarily issued bar number to settle up.

"But that is MY bar number!!" erupted a dark blue staff officer attendee of the previous night's function, who was standing just behind me.

Time for a sharp exit........

Is Brampton already flogged off?

ORAC
18th Jan 2016, 18:49
Molesworth and Mildenhall? :confused::confused:

And Feltham? :confused::confused:

Selatar
18th Jan 2016, 19:32
Feltham will go for a packet. Prime West London land. Maybe treble digit millions. Just don't mention the young offenders institute round the corner. I recall one SO1 out for a lunchtime run getting mugged in the park...

Can't see the nuclear/Chem old bomb dump at Barnham being a huge moneyspinner....

Sad about Nelson. Historic Mess. Make a nice hotel or more likely a block of flats in due course.

Whenurhappy
18th Jan 2016, 19:54
To be fair, NELSON is in a pretty sh!t location.

Biggus
18th Jan 2016, 20:44
Presumably Kneller Hall is also a prime piece of real estate?

brokenlink
18th Jan 2016, 22:21
Given all the fuss about the 3rd runway at Heathrow would it be an idea to take all the freight traffic from there and relocate it to Mildenhall as it is already configured for freight traffic. Heathrow gets more slots and Mildenhall stays as a viable contributor to the local economy especially as the A11 has now been dual led.

MFC_Fly
19th Jan 2016, 01:44
Can't see the nuclear/Chem old bomb dump at Barnham being a huge moneyspinner....
It won't be as it was already sold off, years ago, and is now Gorse Industrial Estate ;)

Out Of Trim
19th Jan 2016, 02:29
Given all the fuss about the 3rd runway at Heathrow would it be an idea to take all the freight traffic from there and relocate it to Mildenhall as it is already configured for freight traffic. Heathrow gets more slots and Mildenhall stays as a viable contributor to the local economy especially as the A11 has now been dual led.

I really don't think there is much pure freight traffic at Heathrow, if any these days. Most freight to and from Heathrow will be on passenger flights as belly cargo.

Therefore, no relocation necessary! ;)

Willard Whyte
19th Jan 2016, 02:55
Just don't mention the young offenders institute round the corner. I recall one SO1 out for a lunchtime run getting mugged in the park...

Always knew sport was bad for you.

Melchett01
19th Jan 2016, 04:39
Is Brampton already flogged off?

Not sure what's going on with Brampton. I was visiting a friend on what's left of the patch before Christmas, a very eerie feeling as the station has shut down but there are still a few people left on the patch. I think the original plan was to sell it off and make a packet from it - Brampton village was featured in Country Life as one of the best commuter places to live for London.

But with all the development at Wyton I think they may have realised, albeit belatedly, that reducing the patch over the years and selling the airfield off has now left them with no flexibility at all to cope with the current expansion. Couldn't make it up really.

As for Feltham, they're welcome to it. An industrial estate feel next door to a young offenders institute and in the Heathrow footprint. Can't think of anyone in their right minds who would want to live there - a third runway would probably improve the place!

Selatar
19th Jan 2016, 07:01
Too late. Brampton sold a few years back. Housing. Small patch to stay for now.
Not sure if the bulldozers have moved in but the site has been empty for a few years now.

Haraka
19th Jan 2016, 07:22
There was plan publicised to turn the site into a sports centre. I think the cynics among us locally at the time were dubious. Another soulless ( but extremely profitable) dormitory housing development is more likely to be inflicted upon the village.

PPRuNeUser0139
19th Jan 2016, 07:23
Re the proposed sale of HMS Nelson wardroom - I hope that the impressive dining room frieze will be subject to protection?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8162/7344530360_b20a006d92_b.jpg

ExRAFRadar
19th Jan 2016, 07:58
See that Kneller Hall is going.

According to Wiki it is listed so what can they do with it?

Turn it into Apartments?(That's Flats in old speak)

pasta
19th Jan 2016, 09:27
Kneller Hall itself is quite a small part of a large site; I doubt most of the other buildings are listed. The sports fields occupy a hefty chunk of prime real estate, though I've no idea whether development of those would be permitted...

Selatar
19th Jan 2016, 09:51
Just like Bentley Priory they will probably keep the hall and flatten/build on the rest. As an aside Bently now has a fine Fighter Command Musuem in the Mess that is well worth a visit. You can also take a look at all the millionaire houses around the old Mess...

Lyneham Lad
19th Jan 2016, 11:13
Hullavington being sold off - to become a dormitory for Chippenham/Bath/Bristol presumably.

t7a
19th Jan 2016, 11:18
Barnham - the old bomb dump is long gone, but RAF Barnham is still quite a large domestic site used as a Honington overspill.

brokenlink
19th Jan 2016, 18:37
T7a, one thing that seems to have slipped the political mind in the rush to flog Barnham was that it is frequently used by ATC cadets for training. I know Stanta is nearby by bookings for the regulars needs to take prescedence there.

Jwscud
19th Jan 2016, 18:49
I would hope Nelson wardroom is listed! Many happy memories of hungover breakfasts in that wonderful hall.

I even learned to play a half-decent frame of snooker in the blind eye upstairs!

Pheasant
19th Jan 2016, 18:53
I think Nelson Wardroom and land will go to the university. The frieze etc will probably go into the Museum or the refurbished Old Naval Academy Wardroom.

Melchett01
19th Jan 2016, 19:32
Too late. Brampton sold a few years back. Housing. Small patch to stay for now. Not sure if the bulldozers have moved in but the site has been

Nope, no bulldozers at Brampton as of Nov/Dec 15, so the site is still standing as it was when it ceased to be operational in 2013. Just the MQs still in use by a handful of individuals with, as I was led to believe, some from Wyton looking to rent them with the increase in numbers there. As I said, an eerie feeling driving round a deserted base at night.

chevvron
19th Jan 2016, 21:19
I'm surprised Henlow and Stanbridge weren't mentioned, or have they already gone?

PTR 175
20th Jan 2016, 15:37
Henlow is still alive and kicking. Various units are still based there.

The airfield also rings out to the sound of Lycoming engines from the flying club, much to the annoyance of certain locals :ok: .

Haart
20th Jan 2016, 21:39
With Brampton, the plans are to flatten everything bar BPOM, which is listed. So far as I have heard, the SFA is to remain as Wyton still has the numbers to justify it for now (~20 yrs back, the situation was reversed).

Interestingly, there is a small group dedicated to preserving theatres and they have their sights set on retaining Brampton Theatre. :D

RAF Brampton Little Theatre - The Theatres Trust (http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resources/theatres/show/3683-raf-brampton-little-theatre)

Also in the local area, Molesworth and Alconbury are to close but their functions are to consolidate at Croughton.

skua
21st Jan 2016, 09:06
Nelson wardroom is grade II listed.
See:
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1387145

romeo bravo
21st Jan 2016, 09:51
Brokenlink - they won't/don't think about what the Cadet Forces do....... :oh:

PTR 175 - the airfield might ring to the sounds of Lycomings, but the Tech Area is no where as busy as it once was; RAF Pol have moved out and PTs have/are moving out slowly. As for the airfield, we shall wait and see what happens with the ACO Gliding announcement, probably lose the VGS and the private aircraft will be asked to vacate; leaving the whole site to be redeveloped!!