PDA

View Full Version : BA LINE STATIONS

HOVIS
15th Jan 2016, 21:46
I have heard a rumour today that BA are closing line stations.

Anyone confirm?

MAC 40612
16th Jan 2016, 14:26
Closing line stations, I don't think so. I think this may have more to do with the fact that IAG [the overall parent company for BA/IB/VY/EI] is doing a Company wide review [of all the departments of all the Airlines] In engineering or the MRO division as IAG calls it they are only 5% through this review [looking at whether current set-ups provide "best-value" etc]

The "rumour" flying around line stations is that they want to get line station staff onto IAG contracts [this has been raised in the past but then went on the back burner] So if that is what they are wanting to do again, then yes technically the staff would cease to work for BA and then work for IAG.

IAG have already done this in some areas with new managers in BA Cargo going straight onto IAG contracts and as line station engineers are TMG [Technical Manager Grade] there would be no reason they couldn't do it to them as well.

TURIN
16th Jan 2016, 16:33
Line Station engineers are not TMG.

I also saw something today that said all line stations in Germany and Italy are closing.

yotty
16th Jan 2016, 19:58
Deep respect to you TURIN, but I think BA changed Pool Engineers to TMG as a cost saving measure quite a while ago. Other line stations are locally employed, Be good to hear anyone elses version though!

TURIN
16th Jan 2016, 20:30
I think we are talking about two different things Yotty.
Pool engineers are LHR based TMG I agree.
The rumour on Yammer is of actual redundancies and line station closures with the work going g out to third party MROs.

HOVIS
17th Jan 2016, 20:48
So its true then?

BALINEENG
18th Jan 2016, 22:14
Sadly, it seems to be true. BA Italy and Germany will close, followed by others, this is just the start of the economic review axe falling.
Where will it stop? Who will do all of BA's work?

Blink182
19th Jan 2016, 10:08
LGW is next in the firing line.....

Outsourcing request has already been sent out to a number of companies:ugh:

TURIN
19th Jan 2016, 18:46
Any idea which companies, Blink, I'm polishing my CV and just wondering where to send it. :hmm:

BISH-BASH-BOSH
22nd Jan 2016, 12:54
SR Techniques

Blink182
23rd Jan 2016, 14:06
yes, all the usual suspects have been offered to bid for the Short Haul or Long Haul or both, maintenance operation at LGW

primreamer
24th Jan 2016, 04:52
BA still has a substantial sized operation at LGW, so as far as the "usual suspects" are concerned, do any of them have an existing capability to absorb that volume of work? Or will it be a case of transferring everyone and everything over to whichever potential suitor is successful, change the contracts and liveries and if you don't like it, transfer to LHR or leave?

yotty
24th Jan 2016, 08:53
It remains to be seen if BA (or IAG for that matter) would cede control of the operation for a marginal gain! primreamer you forgot to add VR!

Le Pen
24th Jan 2016, 16:02
The BA Engineering office here in FCO is just round the corner from mine.
We have heard that They have given notice to their customers and will be closing down. I have also heard the Germany is in the same boat. And I guess the ROTW will follow.

It looks as if IAG want one handler here in FCO for all 3 (BA/IB/Vueling) companies. So I guess it will be a punch up between KL/Nayak/AZ for the work.... We don't have the B767 on our 145 capability, so we cant bid :( Or FAA Geographical approval for their customers either :(

I guess the majority of staff will go to whoever gets the contracts.

Good luck to all of you :)

Love

LP

primreamer
24th Jan 2016, 16:53
Yotty,
Has VR been mentioned as an option for the staff at LGW?

Blink182
25th Jan 2016, 10:43
It remains to be seen if BA (or IAG for that matter) would cede control of the operation for a marginal gain! primreamer you forgot to add VR!

If any of the quotes come in at under 90% of what it costs now , then I am thinking that LGW maintenance will go.:eek:

Incoming provider would take on a big proportion of the existing staff under TUPE and Transfer up to the Mother-Ship is another option being mentioned. VR not mentioned as yet.

Expecting the bidding/ negotiation with new company MRO will take 3-4 months and the take over happening start of W16 season.

yotty
26th Jan 2016, 13:52
I thought if TUPE was offered the company would have to offer VR as well. Perhaps we need "Brother Litebulbs" to help us out here.

Litebulbs
26th Jan 2016, 17:45
The main reason for TUPE as I understand it, is to protect employment, terms and conditions.

Engineers and technicians are a valuable asset and not easily replaceable regardless of what the "change managers" try to have you believe.

Could any other airline or MRO take on BA at LGW today; no. Could any other airline or MRO take on BA at LGW with a TUPE transfer; yes. Would any other airline or MRO want to do that; what is in it for them?

My view on when BA outsourced ground handling to Swissport, was that Swissport did not want to take on the wage bill of a TUPE. So BA had to make the offer so good to take VR that the majority would take is and go, allowing Swissport to recruit on their T&C's.

I am aware the BA engineering pay scales, some grades are well paid, but work to full scope (unlike other companies that I know), and other grades are some way behind (but not as much as some think).

It would appear that BA are not that interested in their product or brand at LGW, they just want to be able to budget to a fixed cost, with all the risk going to the outsourced supplier. Volatility in cost is what all PLC's hate.

I do not know the detail of the LGW/LHR move last time and whether there was a choice, so can you explain?

Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble, but there is not much to work on yet.

Litebulbs
27th Jan 2016, 22:16
Something I said?

TURIN
27th Jan 2016, 23:05
Well good luck everyone.
Hopefully we will all find full employment over the coming months.

yotty
28th Jan 2016, 10:55
From my fairly uninformed position, Virgin gave Easy notice, so LH are having a hangar built presumably to carry out the work that Virgin was doing, with a possibility of additional work (Ramp and Base Maint) from other companies. Which may or may not be Easy Ramp and/or BA Shorthaul Operation. Has anyone else got any ideas? :cool:

easaman
29th Jan 2016, 16:26
I would not see the whole story that blue!
BA has maybe started the rumours, is even taking some action, as they have done in the past, and people are leaving without severance pay when they have found another job!
It is a bit like committing suicide because you are afraid that you might get cancer....
Heads Up!
easaman