PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling Question

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jan 2016, 12:40
A simple question that after some years of computering makes me a little embarrassed to ask :O

One can scroll up and down with the 'up' and 'down' keys, one can click the cursor onto the scrolling bar on the (usually) right side. To expedite the down scrolling one can use the 'space' bar, but try as i may, there seems not to be a method of scrolling up quickly that i can find. On some websites there are 'TOP' buttons that whizz you back to the top of the page, but not all have this facility. Can any of the panel help me out please ?

SHJ

Hyph
15th Jan 2016, 14:14
Shift-Spacebar is the reverse of the expedited scroll you mentioned and works for me (on a Mac).

In addition, Command-Up Arrow and Command-Down Arrow take me to the top or bottom of any page, respectively. You may find that Windows machines can do the same by using CTRL instead of Command.

dazdaz1
15th Jan 2016, 14:33
I'm W7

The 'home/7' key on the numeric keys (right hand side) takes you to the top of the web page, 'End/1' key takes you to the end of the web page.

Saab Dastard
15th Jan 2016, 17:42
PageUp and PageDown have always worked for me.

SD

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jan 2016, 17:57
Thanks guys :ok: I'm using a mac and the 'shift/spacebar' has done the trick. I'm assuming that the 'Page up/page down' buttons are only capable of scrolling S-L-O-W-L-Y on most steeds ? It's most annoying when on a newspaper website near the bottom and using the page up button takes mucho tiempo to return me to the top.

SHJ

dazdaz1
16th Jan 2016, 14:35
You live and learn Saab..."PageUp and PageDown have always worked for me."
Just tried it, works for me also, but only a screen page per push of the key., 'home/end works for multiple screen pages, scrolls pages in one press.

Shack37
16th Jan 2016, 18:39
I use the little wheel on the top of the mouse, fast as you like, slow as you like.

SpringHeeledJack
16th Jan 2016, 19:30
Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, keep those laptops rolling :}

Indeed a mouse with it's wheel takes care of speedy upping and downing, though some of the modern ones seem to lack the wheel. However a laptop on a lap precludes this option. It's always nice to discover new features, even if for others, they're old hat :ok:

SHJ

Jhieminga
19th Jan 2016, 19:51
A lot of laptops support scrolling using the trackpad. On an older model this is done by swiping one finger along the right hand edge of the pad. Many newer models have emulated Apple's standard method which uses vertical swiping using two fingers. Worth a try perhaps.

Edit: sorry, just realised you already mentioned using a Mac. Place two fingers on the trackpad and move up and down to scroll. That should do it.