PDA

View Full Version : Rex pilots stood down

no one
15th Jan 2016, 02:13
Regional Express stands down pilots involved in industrial action (http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/regional-express-stands-down-pilots-involved-in-industrial-action-20160114-gm6cf5.html)

Seems a bit excessive by management but I know when I worked there they loved making an example of someone.

Vorsicht
15th Jan 2016, 05:40
Let's hope those called off reserve support the guys who have been stood down and do exactly the same thing. Time for solidarity brothers.

KRUSTY 34
15th Jan 2016, 22:53
Hear, hear Vorsicht.

marreeman
16th Jan 2016, 06:12
There didn't seem much appetite for PIA in the crew room yesterday. People were discussing it as if it was just a joke. That is so disappointing to hear, considering it was a 90% yes vote to Pia. Melb or Syd crew room?

KRUSTY 34
16th Jan 2016, 08:53
I wouldn't put too much stock in it marreeman. Definitely not the case. Take it from someone who was there.

As you can see, it's the first ever post by dehg5776. So we can all draw our own conclusions on that one! :=

witwiw
17th Jan 2016, 07:45
Correct me if I'm wrong, bit if it is Protected Industrial Action, doesn't that prevent a company from reprisals .......

Keg
17th Jan 2016, 10:46
A company is permitted to lock out any person who engages in PIA. It's oust about the only bullet the company has to fire.

Of course, lock enough people out and that has the effect of closing the place down like occurred in Qantas back in 2011.

Arnold E
18th Jan 2016, 10:27
A company is permitted to lock out any person who engages in PIA.
Then I struggle to see how it is "protected" :confused::confused::confused:

Keg
18th Jan 2016, 10:48
It's protected by law. IE the company can't recoup losses sustained from the PIA from the staff. If it were UNprotected industrial action (ie, it hasn't been approved by FWA) then the company is free to go you for damages.

The protection isn't from the company taking its own industrial action against you, it's protection under law that you've done the right thing, FWA has approved it, etc.

That's why you can't just go on strike whenever you like. You have to get approval from FWA. You have to justify that the PIA is the last resort. The company can dock your pay for the time you didn't working they can say 'don't come to work' if you're going to engage in PIA- ie a lock out.

The risk for the company in a lock out is the detriment to their own business.

Shot Nancy
18th Jan 2016, 11:27
A bit like "pattern protection".

finches
18th Jan 2016, 11:47
Must say I'm a little confused, didn't FWA order that all PIA was to cease ? As per the below document on their website. I suspect it's no longer protected if it has been withdrawn.

PR574132
FAIR WORK COMMISSION
ORDER

Fair Work Act 2009
s.418—Industrial action

Regional Express Holdings Limited
v
Australian Federation of Air Pilots
(C2015/7345)

Airline operations

DEPUTY PRESIDENT HAMILTON

MELBOURNE, 19 NOVEMBER 2015

Alleged industrial action at Regional Express Holdings Limited.

1. TITLE

1.1 This order shall be known as the Regional Express Holdings Limited Order 2015 (the Order).

2. APPLICATION AND PARTIES BOUND

2.1 This Order is binding on and applies to:

(a) Regional Express Holdings Limited (the Company);

(b) the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP);

(c) employees of the Company who are members of the AFAP and who are covered by the Regional Express Pilots Enterprise Agreement 2011 (the Employees).

2.2 In this order, Union Representatives means:

(a) office holders of the AFAP;

(b) the Employees who are also delegates of the AFAP;

(c) any employee of the AFAP who communicates with any of the Employees while this Order is in effect.

3. INDUSTRIAL ACTION MUST STOP, NOT OCCUR AND NOT BE ORGANISED

3.1 The AFAP must not organise any industrial action involving any of the Employees.

3.2 Each Employee must:

(a) immediately stop engaging in industrial action;

(b) not continue, or organise any industrial action during the period of operation of this Order.

3.3 For the purposes of this Order, the expression “industrial action” means performing work in a manner different from usual by banning tankering of fuel from any port, but does not include the following:

(a) protected industrial action within the meaning of section 408 of the Fair Work Act 2009;

(b) action or conduct by Employees that is authorised or agreed to by or on behalf of the Company; or

(c) action by an Employee if:

(i) the action was based on a reasonable concern by the Employee about an imminent risk to his or her health or safety; and

(ii) the Employee did not unreasonably fail to comply with a direction of his or her employer to perform other available work, whether at the same or another workplace, that was safe and appropriate for the employee to perform.

4. STEPS TO BE TAKEN BY THE AFAP

4.1 The AFAP must prepare the following written notice which must be signed by an authorised official of the AFAP in the following terms (Written Notice):

“The Fair Work Commission has issued a section 418 order to stop or prevent industrial action.
The order is called the Regional Express Industrial Action Order 2015.
The order requires that there be no unprotected industrial action in the form of a ban on tankering of fuel by members of the AFAP employed by Regional Express Holdings Limited who are covered by the Regional Express Pilots Enterprise Agreement 2011 (Employees).
The order applies to:

● the AFAP; and

● Employees.

Accordingly, any direction, advice or authorisation by the AFAP to the Employees who are its members to ban the tankering of fuel is withdrawn and such action must stop or not occur. Those members should work as normal and perform work in the manner in which it is usually performed."

4.2 The AFAP's authorised delegate must provide a copy of the Written Notice to Dan Trindade of Clayton Utz by email at [email protected] within one hour of these orders being made.

4.3 The AFAP must take all reasonable steps necessary and available under its rules to:

(a) advise the Union Representatives and each of the Employees of the terms of this Order by giving the Written Notice to each of the Union Representatives and Employees; and

(b) ensure that the Union Representatives and Employees comply with this Order.

5. SERVICE OF ORDER

5.1 Without limitation as to other means of service, it will be sufficient service of this Order upon the parties bound by this Order if:

(a) In the case of the AFAP a copy of this Order is either:

(i) sent by facsimile transmission to:

The Executive Director
Australian Federation of Air Pilots

Facsimile: (03) 9699 8199

or

(ii) emailed to [email protected].

(b) in the case of the Employees:

(i) a copy of the Order is served on the AFAP; or

(ii) a copy of the Order is placed on the notice board(s) usually used for the purpose of communicating with the Employees.

6. SEVERABILITY

6.1 Part or all of any clause of this Order that is invalid or unenforceable will be severed from this Order and the remaining provisions of this Order continue in force.

7. TERM AND DATE OF EFFECT

7.1 This Order shall come into effect immediately.

7.2 The stop period for the purposes of section 418(1) of the Act is specified as being the period from the commencement of this order until 5.00pm on 7 days from the date of this order.

DEPUTY PRESIDENT

fromwayback
18th Jan 2016, 12:37
Rex PC reapplied and it was approved.

finches
18th Jan 2016, 12:44
Oh good, the FWA website only show they applied to conduct the ballot, I stand corrected.

hoss
19th Jan 2016, 21:37
Are the Stood Down Pilots back in the saddle yet?

AerocatS2A
19th Jan 2016, 23:37
Don't Rex pilots get overnight allowances? Or are they after some kind of additional overnight compensation?

VanDriver01
20th Jan 2016, 09:58
I'm guessing half the recruits left for Cathay or Qlink? Surprising about that. I did a last min skype interview in Dec and heard back exactly a month after to say I was knocked back. Having crew issues like this isn't in their favour.

Duck Pilot
20th Jan 2016, 19:06
Vandriver, I think there are still quite a few interested experienced pilots out their getting knocked back by REX and a few other operators. Do you happen to be an Aussie who is working/worked overseas with the view of coming back home by any chance are you?

VanDriver01
21st Jan 2016, 04:23
Duck Pilot yeh I've worked away and now am home not by choice but think it is time to find something here, as there seems to be more job stability. living out of suitcase has been fun but time to put that to an end if I get the chance to work for anyone at home.

Kindergartencat
12th Feb 2016, 08:36
Time for an update... -The protected industrial action carried out by Rex pilots on Monday the 1st of February 2016 was widespread and it seems took Rex management by surprise in it's scale and participation. -Flights were delayed, cancelled or impacted in every state. -Even management pilots such as check Captains participated and at least one simulator check was affected. -This was despite the threat that Rex would deduct an entire days pay of any pilot who participated in industrial action. -After many delays in responding to the AFAPs claims, Rex have once again proposed clauses that will still significantly impact on the lifestyle of the pilots who up to this point have been happy to accept lower pay for 'more normal lifestyle conditions'. -More industrial action is now an option. -When will Rex management learn that going to war with it's pilots by fostering a culture of intimidation leads to nothing but angst and will lead to more people seeking to move on elsewhere? -If the rumors are true concerning significant opportunities occurring with domestic and international airlines within the next twelve months, Rex may find themselves struggling to once again crew flights as many pilots, especially cadets, seek employment elsewhere.

KRUSTY 34
16th Feb 2016, 09:48
Crikey!

Nailed it in one with that post.:ok: