View Full Version : Vale David Squirrell

StallsandSpins
14th Jan 2016, 04:57
Sad to hear that Instructor, Engineer,Ag pilot and all round legend David Squirrell passed away today. RIP

Updraft
14th Jan 2016, 08:10
Very sad. First met Dave whilst working at Casey Field in late '70s.
Was great to catch up at recent Casey reunion and reminisce.
Condolences to Wendy and family.

zanthrus
14th Jan 2016, 08:38
Dave Squirrell that had a Magneto repair shop at YSBK and was a flight instructor for the Air League?

LeiYingLo
14th Jan 2016, 08:42
Just prior to Dave getting out of the aeroplane on my first solo I remember being told of the importance of putting a chainsaw in the back of a 152 just in case you put it down in a field and needed to chop down a tree to get out!

RIP

Deaf
14th Jan 2016, 13:45
RIP - we should have done that trip to South America
Condolences to Wendy and family

Old Akro
15th Jan 2016, 00:50
I too remember Dave Squirell from Casey Field in the 70's. The world will have a little less colour without him. RIP.

Scion
15th Jan 2016, 03:36
I had the privilege of going to see Wendy in Wilton and David junior who had just come down from Brisbane.

As you may expect there is a lot of sadness interspersed with remembrances of David and his many foibles. The world indeed is less colourful and more biege without him.

The family would be very grateful if any stories or reminiscences could be placed on this thread as David was a great raconteur but did not write much down.

You all must have a favourite story.

Roy

StallsandSpins
20th Jan 2016, 13:44
I am sorry I won't be able to make it. David was a one of a kind character and will be sorely missed by everyone. He was a Friend and mentor to many. I was saying to my grandmother Elsa this Christmas just passed how much I enjoyed being out at Casey as a kid and how fortunate I was to have that experience. As an adult who knows something about the realities of the aviation business I realise that keeping a place like going is not always easy. David and Wendy both worked hard there for many years and my grandfather couldn't have kept the place going without them.

My grandfather Keith Hatfield had the utmost faith and confidence in David as a pilot and Engineer and always spoke very highly of him. As a kid I was obsessed with flying and aviation and I spent every weekend and school holiday hanging around at Casey. David was always friendly and encouraging and I was really excited at 15 when my Grandfather said I could start flying lessons with David as my instructor.

My earliest memory of Casey was watching David spray the place with water in his Pawnee. Apparently this upset another Casey regular who was painting his truck at the time...He responded by throwing a bucket of paint on the Pawnee when David landed!

I remember the day when the David ferried the drover VH FBC from NZ to Casey and I subsequently got to go on many rides in the back of that unique aircraft with David and Brett young flying up front.

I went on a few other adventures with David as well. It was a real treat getting to fly with David in our miles falcon AAT to the first big fly in at Temora in 1992. AAT won best restoration even though it wasn't quite finished at the time. David suggested that I go up onto the stage and collect the trophy on behalf of my grandfather. I was 15 and dressed in a dirty t shirt and shorts ...I still have the trophy at home on the mantle.

David, Mac Job Royce Horwood and others got to take both AAT and UUL up to the first big air show at Raaf Richmond. Of course I managed to worm my way into riding up with them in the back. Another great adventure had!

Time flies and it only feels like yesterday since I was last out at the clubhouse at Casey on a Sunday night listing to David, my Grandfather, my father and many others as David used to put it tell "bull**** and lies" to each other. Very Happy Days indeed!. Rest well David Squirrell

Viper82
22nd Jan 2016, 12:16
Oh wow so sad, David sent me on my first area solo, at the AAL at Camden, I remember the first time I tried to go out there were thunderstorms around the area, and he said to my instructor "just send him solo he'll sort it out" haha.
RIP Dave and it's true you really do sort it out when you are solo, thanks for all you taught me, and for all the stories that made me laugh and still make me smile about today, RIP MATE.