PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo OneKey and Windows 10

John Marsh
13th Jan 2016, 17:13
I'm setting up a Lenovo Ideapad 300; Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I'd like to create a HDD image on DVDs, lest disaster strike.

Lenovo OneKey Recovery is supplied with the machine. This will backup to DVDs. Can I trust it to make a disc set which will work even if the program on the HDD is totally non-functional?

I'm used to making backup disc sets which include a bootable rescue CD, for use first when restoring a system. Can/should I do this with Windows 10?

I'm cautious because a previous PC with Windows 8 became unrecoverable, despite trying all the recovery options in the OS and having a special recovery partition on the HDD.

I had made a set of recovery DVDs by that stage, but I was so fed up with Windows 8, I didn't bother using them!;)

Saab Dastard
13th Jan 2016, 19:11
You should find that the DVD - or the first, if several - is bootable. If so, then you have a good chance of recovering it in the event of a complete HDD failure.

You should be able to check that you can boot off the DVD without actually performing a restore.

You will still require regular backups of your data, as the DVDs will return your laptop to original configuration.

SD

John Marsh
14th Jan 2016, 09:50
Many thanks SD - blank DVDs on order!:D:ok:

spannersatcx
14th Jan 2016, 16:08
I hope it works, I have a Lenovo desktop, the onekey says backup to external drive or DVD but all it shows is the C drive!

John Marsh
24th Jan 2016, 10:50
spannersatcx:
I hope it works, I have a Lenovo desktop, the onekey says backup to external drive or DVD but all it shows is the C drive!
I did find an option in OneKey to backup to DVD. Selected that, optical drive tray popped open... blank DVD inserted. OneKey just ignored the DVD and used a folder on C: instead!

No option in OneKey for making a bootable rescue disc.

Solution: I chose Acronis True Image 2015. 49.38GB imaged to 10 DVDs, plus a bootable rescue CD made.

The image seems pretty large, for a brand new Win. 10 machine. All I'd installed on it was Acronis. Possibly I should have deleted the OneKey backup folder first.:ugh:

treadigraph
25th Jan 2016, 07:11
On a slightly related matter, I had an issue with my Lenovo G500 with Win10 last weekend - it refused to boot beyond the splash screen for over an hour or more; removed battery and power lead for five mins, no go.

Used older laptop to search for solution/inspiration, apparently Lenovo can be prone to this problem; remove power sources and back, then briefly unplug CMOS battery - worked a treat!

Must make a bootable DVD, though I'm not sure it would have helped in this instance...