PDA

View Full Version : Overflying Major War Zones

ChrisJBrady
11th Jan 2016, 07:58
We recently flew on a major airline from LHR to SIN. It was in a A380 - very comfy. Part of the IFE was a 3D map of the route - mainly northerly over Russia. Kept remembering that the Ruskies shot down that Korean aircraft years back. We arrived OK in about 11 hours odd.

On the return we were in a 777 - not so comfy. But whilst watching the 3D IFE route map we were horrified to see that we would be flying over Afghanistan. We stayed awake nervously watching the map expecting to hear a big bang any second. We flew over Helmand just south of Kabul. And worse - we then flew over the Ukraine.

Were we right to be nervous?

ChrisJBrady
13th Jan 2016, 16:56
in having 3D moving route maps if its not to scare the pants off 'self-loading' freight (a term of hatred towards the hapless travelling but 'paying-your-salary' public)?

Since no-one could be bothered (I'd use a stronger anatomical term) to respond to this post, I guess - yes - we do have every right to feel nervous.

With unconcerned flight crew up front - they haven't a clue about those behind them being nervous. What arrogance.

No-one on this forum is interested. I shall take my concerns to FlyerTalk.

CaptainProp
14th Jan 2016, 08:44
Afghanistan is not restricted as such for commercial air traffic.

Over Ukraine only parts of the airspace is no fly zone, at least for European operators. I can't remember the exact areas but the no fly zone is around Krimea, east Ukraine and stretching south over the Black Sea.

Irak is no-go at the moment for European and US (I think) carriers but I believe some companies and countries are operating in and out and also overflying Irak. I just recently flew north bound over Iran, close to the Iraki border when we had several civilian aircraft crossing our track heading west in to Iraki airspace.

CP