PDA

View Full Version : Air Astana Fog in East Kazakhstan

UKK
10th Jan 2016, 19:22
I just flew from Astana to Ust Kamenogorsk, as we were coming into land, the pilot said there was too much fog and we were flying to our alternate, Karaganda. On the way to Karaganda he said we have enough fuel to reach Astana and so we did. The later flight was cancelled and I am waiting for news.

Why did he wait till the last minute and can you not land in fog?
Why was the alternate 6o minutes away when Semey is nearer?
Why did he have enough fuel?

Sorry if I have asked obvious questions, just wondering.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jan 2016, 21:46
I think you ought to ring the pilot and ask him.

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Jan 2016, 22:09
I think you ought to ring the pilot and ask him. :ok::ok:

However, I suppose at least you have asked in the correct forum, unless this was moved here, so

Why did he wait till the last minute Because fog is a very variable phenomenon, it can lift and descend quickly, so until you get there you don't know the exact conditions.

can you not land in fog? Yes, but only down to certain limits, I can only assume the fog was too dense.

Why was the alternate 6o minutes away when Semey is nearer? 1 - There isn't a requirement to land at the nearest airfield.
2 - What was the weather doing at Semey, was it suitable?
3 - Does Air Astana have facilities at Semey to accommodate you in case the weather doesn't buck up.
4 - The most important one - the pilot's car was at Astana, so he could go home easily.:ok:

Why did he have enough fuel? Because he looked at the weather forecast, saw fog on the menu and did what any Captain worth his salt would do, he loaded more fuel to give himself options.

UKK
10th Jan 2016, 22:59
Great thanks. The hotel just called and Air Astana are sending the shuttle bus to pick us up at 8 am so it looks like the fog has cleared.

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Jan 2016, 23:07
The fog might not have cleared, but busses can still run:E