PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lockup?

Mraviationguy
10th Jan 2016, 17:28
Hi,

Back in July 2014 I was at Manchester Airport AVP and got this video of a Brussels Airlines RJ85 Landing, but as it slowed down some white smoke appeared from the undercarriage. I have uploaded this to Youtube and some people have commented what they think caused it. But I was hoping to get the point of view of those on this forum, would be cool to find out exactly what caused it.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvOHZygTfU

Many Thanks, Archie

+TSRA
12th Jan 2016, 23:01
Looks like a little bit of rubber coming off the tires as they apply additional (and harder) braking action trying to make the taxiway.

I'm not an RJ85 pilot, but a quick search identifies the aircraft does have an anti-skid system (electric) so it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be locked brakes...plus, when that does happen the tires tend to do a little more than just give a puff of smoke...at least, the one or two times its happened to me ;)

That is always an aircraft I've wanted to fly.

dereknf
13th Jan 2016, 09:50
The RJ/146 antiskid drops out at about 30kts IIRC. The puffs could the wheels locking up in that last few kts.

KTM300XC-W
14th Jan 2016, 04:25
Anti-skid may have been U/S.

QA1
14th Jan 2016, 12:11
My bet would be - hydraulic leak on to a hot brake?

+TSRA
14th Jan 2016, 15:10
Anti-skid may have been U/S.

That's true. Or, if like dereknf says it cuts out below 30 knots, it may not have been operative due to normal system operation.

Mraviationguy
14th Jan 2016, 15:31
Thanks for the responses so far, it's cool to hear what you guys think it could have been! They all sound pretty plausible:)