PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 with OML

Flip-Flop
10th Jan 2016, 16:15
Hi,

First time poster.

I had a seizure 9 years ago and am yet to have a reoccurrence. All tests were completed and clear. An AME has very kindly gave his thorough and honest opinion before I start the route of training for frozen APTL.

His understanding is that with an OML I would be restricted in training as I wouldn't be able to complete a solo flight and that training in Multi Crew Aircraft will heavily increase any training. I also understand the general way of hours building (I ideally wanted to go down the modular route) would be restricted.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

ITFC1
11th Jan 2016, 13:04
Depends what your OML is.

I have an OML which is "as or with Co-pilot", but only applies to commercial flying.

i maybe wrong but i think there are different types of OML, mine is becasue of heart issue's.

Sympathize with you as my daughter has about 4-6 seizures a day.

Good luck mate.

space-shuttle-driver
29th Jan 2016, 20:05
https://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/AMC%20and%20GM%20on%20the%20medical%20certification%20of%20p ilots%20and%20medical%20fitness%20of%20cabin%20crew.pdf

Annex to ED Decision 2011/015/R
GM1 MED.B.001 Limitation codes:
OML Valid only as or with qualified co-pilot
This applies to crew members who do not meet the medical requirements for single crew operations, but are fit for multi-crew operations. Applicable to class 1 medical certificates only.

All this means that OML is for commercial OPS only, and you should be fine for your solo, private flights ('I-G' ICAO flight plan).

Scoobster
5th Feb 2016, 11:19
His understanding is that with an OML I would be restricted in training as I wouldn't be able to complete a solo flight and that training in Multi Crew Aircraft will heavily increase any training. I also understand the general way of hours building (I ideally wanted to go down the modular route) would be restricted.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or any advice?

Hello,

Sorry but this is nonesense - I have an OML which says 'valid with a co-pilot only' and your Class 1 will be limited to Commercial Operations and not Single Pilot Operations.

For the solo element of flight training - All that is required is for a 'Medical Flight Test' to be taken, normally an administrative exercise, but will probably involve you going up with the CFI and doing a circuit, landing, touch & go - mine got me to taxi and park in a tight space - as my OML was due to a visual field defect.

I am surprised the CAA haven't written to you yet or after your medical is submitted will write to you and say 'Before you can go solo we require you to complete a medical flight test'.

I wouldn't worry too much - I now have a PPL (A) and a Night Rating and I am now worried about the chances of a job with an OML - BUT having gone through the PPL and Night and I was on PPRUNE almost daily viewing responses and advice - but I realised that people have the best will in the world but your circumstances are 'your circumstances' and no one will be able to give you the 'correct' advice until you weathered the storm first hand.

Also - Hours building will be done on 'Class 2 Medical'. Your Class 2 medical will be unrestricted and therefore you can act as PIC for hours building using your Class 2 medical. The OML is only for 'Commercial Paid for Operations. In theory now you can even instruct on a class 2 medical - though for insurance who would take you is another debate!

Happy to give you further insight if required.

Scoobster.