PDA

View Full Version : FireFox holding 100 - 300 Mb of temp files.

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2016, 09:48
CCleaner hanging at 39% for unprecedented time then it goes on. But within a few hours I'm clearing out 100 plus.

It may be I need to leave it in since FF and W10 seem to have a working 'agreement', but the performance had all but gone prior to cleaning.

Perhaps a limit on what FF is allowed to store away?

What I don't understand is how some folk never need to do this cleaning while others lose the use of their computers to the extent that it's not possible to even download CCleaner. Not old kit, but say, 4 gig of memory. One, I had to boot with Linux clone to save the files.

Bushfiva
9th Jan 2016, 10:03
You can reduce the cache limit from within Firefox. Since I don't use it, I don't know where the setting is but I'm sure Google will tell you. Somewhere around menu>options>advanced>network.

But isn't 300MB a really, really small number in the great scheme of things? What else would you use it for?

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2016, 20:43
. . . I suppose, but it's just that prolonged hang at CCleaner's 39% and the reduced performance if I let it get bigger. Just cleaned it again, but at 100 Mb it's not an issue apart from that odd 39%.

I'm stuck with 32 bit and hence not too great usable memory.

The hang point shows C etc., me, some other stuff and appdata followed by a long string. I realise now that I plugged my new phone in a day or so ago and it's at about that time the issue started. I got nowhere with the phone and can't remember what happened apart from it making me unhappy. Technology has that affect on me these days.

FireFox's apparent battle with Kaspersky might see the dropping of both of them very soon. (Kaspersky has taken to suddenly opening my Barclays' page with my sign-in screen. Not the slightest connection with what I'm doing and everything has to be closed to regain use of the computer. Barclays finally took it seriously and their serious department made a pre-arranged call to . . . the wrong mobile phone. That only took 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.)

PAXfips
9th Jan 2016, 20:50
Tried to avoid the builtin PDF reader (pdf.js)?

vulcanised
9th Jan 2016, 20:59
Try TweakNow Reg Cleaner.

Despite it's name, it does a lot more besides which you can select when required.

Worked well for me for years.