PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and parchutes

crazy council
8th Jan 2016, 21:18
Hello, I think this is the correct place to ask.

I enjoy reading R&N on here, and after reading about a cargo plane going down today ( http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/572882-crj-down-sweden.html ). , i thought.

Do pilots of cargo planes carry parachutes ( are there any rules ) , i do understand the near impossibility of being able to get out if things are going wrong, but at least theres a chance. If they are in an area like them poor soles were, they would only have themselves to worry about, Granted, these may not have had the time to sort anything out.

Its only a general interest question

AerocatS2A
9th Jan 2016, 01:37
No, we don't.

dixi188
9th Jan 2016, 07:03
Used to fly the Electra on cargo flights. We had a loadmaster who carried a small parachute. He was ex 2 Para. and reckoned he could get out of the rear door after climbing over the cargo in an emergency.

For your info, cargo aircraft are certified to the same standards as passenger aircraft, its just that the freight has to be loaded rather than being self loading.

Dave Clarke Fife
9th Jan 2016, 09:02
Sadly, even if the two crew had bailed out and survived to the landing then the inhospitable terrain and reported temperatures of minus 30*c ( not sure if this is reported actual or windchill factor) would have killed them rather quickly. Most crew fly in shirtsleeve order with maybe a woolly pully if they are feeling the cold but certainly not in arctic survival gear.j

Hotel Tango
9th Jan 2016, 11:23
To which I would add that if indeed the a/c did suddenly go into a nose dive I would be surprised if the pilots would actually be able to make their way to the door, let alone open it!

Wageslave
9th Jan 2016, 22:00
Wouldn't a poor sole (sic) be better walking out of trouble?

crazy council
10th Jan 2016, 12:41
Thanks and understood,

I just thought they would have by default, i can understand on passenger carrying craft, because you could not really abandon the craft, but at least with freight, if the grounds clear, once your desisions made, you would only have to try get to an exit.

am with this guy

Used to fly the Electra on cargo flights. We had a loadmaster who carried a small parachute. He was ex 2 Para. and reckoned he could get out of the rear door after climbing over the cargo in an emergency.

mmmm, i suppose just as interestingly, are they allowed ( crew to carry them ) on large passenger aircraft . ?

Lol, reading this ( http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/572827-money-bags.html ) i was thinking how much in the bag to be worth doinjg a cooper ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper )

tdracer
10th Jan 2016, 18:37
Also remember that commercial pressurized aircraft doors are designed to be NOT operable in-flight. Now of course an override system could be developed, but it would need to be fool (and Murphy) proof, since having the door inadvertently in-flight is likely to be catastrophic.