PDA

View Full Version : The Past is History

BillytheKid
8th Jan 2016, 01:37
Why is it that we pilots keep reminding each other about what ocurred 15 years ago? What happened then must be something we are all aware of by now. Several books have already been written about it FFS! I can't imagine even the newest SO's not at least having some clue. So why do we keep bringing up the issue on this forum as well as the AOA?

Oasis
8th Jan 2016, 04:11
The only thing that went wrong 15 years ago, is that the AOA didn't shut down the airline completely when they sacked 49 names out of a hat.

Captain Dart
8th Jan 2016, 04:21
That's what CX were planning for, and wanted in my opinion. Although striking is legal in Hong Kong, you can be dismissed for breach of contract. The charters were ready. The airline had read the Ansett playbook: turn the action into a lockout, and rehire. The boys wouldn't have lasted long with the banks and landlords knocking on their doors.

Nigel didn't call a strike, and bizarrely, many of CX's pilots sat at home on Reserve while the charters that CX had paid for flew some very pissed-off and mystified passengers.

Rascasse
8th Jan 2016, 04:23
This lot really haven't become any smarter over the past 15 years have they?

Steve the Pirate
8th Jan 2016, 09:55
Why is it that we pilots keep reminding each other about what ocurred 15 years ago? What happened then must be something we are all aware of by now. Several books have already been written about it FFS! I can't imagine even the newest SO's not at least having some clue. So why do we keep bringing up the issue on this forum as well as the AOA?

Erm, I hate to point out the blindingly obvious but if you have an issue with pilots discussing the past, why have you started a thread about it? :E

STP

BillytheKid
8th Jan 2016, 14:16
Erm, I hate to point out the blindingly obvious but if you have an issue with pilots discussing the past, why have you started a thread about it?

STP

Brilliant. Your reply is akin to the grammar police pointing out lose vs loose. I award you the Billy Madison:

Mr. STP "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Steve the Pirate
8th Jan 2016, 14:46
Brilliant. Your reply is akin to the grammar police pointing out lose vs loose.

Technically it wasn't a reply, it was a question. :E

STP

White None
8th Jan 2016, 23:42
Erm... STP, I hate to point out the blindingly obvious but you've used reason and logic on PPRuNe - again!!
I have warned you about this behaviour before - STOP IT, (you're wasting your breath my friend, squawking seems better received).

BillytheKid
9th Jan 2016, 00:05
Very well then, for the "missing the forrest for the trees" crowd I will spell out the thread for you: why do our colleagues insist upon doing managements job for them by constantly reminding us of the possible ramifications of our desire for a better RP?

I for one am tired of being reminded of what the company can do. I am keenly aware, as I am sure most of us are, of what could happen should we continue down this path. We all stand to lose a lot to continue this battle with our employer. This type of talk is not inspirational, but defeatist.

OK4Wire
9th Jan 2016, 05:47
We all stand to lose a lot to continue this battle with our employer

Load of bollox, BTK!

We stand to lose a lot more if we don't continue the battle.

spleener
9th Jan 2016, 08:44
forest Billy, forest.

BillytheKid
9th Jan 2016, 14:26
Wow, I must be speaking a different language. "We all stand to lose" referred to the fact that the senior captain loses no more or no less than the junior second officer so it would be appreciatedif those that were here for the 49'ers would stop using it as a crutch to avoid the fight.

Steve the Pirate
10th Jan 2016, 01:09
Sorry Billy, your first post was far too cryptic to for me to understand the thrust of your message. If I understand correctly, you think talk of people being sacked in the past for trying to stand up to the company is defeatist and not inspirational and should be dismissed as nothing more that sentimental nonsense in the current situation. Is that a reasonable précis?

If indeed that is what you were trying to say, why not say exactly that, and avoid the confusion (and dare I say reflection) that your thread seems to have created? Finally, when you say:

"We all stand to lose" referred to the fact that the senior captain loses no more or no less than the junior second officer

presumably you mean their jobs?

STP

XFR8
10th Jan 2016, 10:49
Dearest Billy,

The premise for your argument is wrong. Nearly all the S/O's showing up here haven't got the first clue regarding the industrial history at CX.

Rascasse
10th Jan 2016, 15:59
BTK, you seem to imply there is a 'risk' to 'continuing down this path'. I would like to ask you this: what risk is there in me doing my job, to the letter of my contract? Would that not make me a model employee?