PDA

View Full Version : A sorry state and a sad story........

HeliEng
22nd Jun 2002, 00:18
I have to post this, as it is of great concern to me, and probably others.

I work for a major North Sea helicopter company, and at the moment it almost shames me to admit it.

All I see around me every day at work, is de-moralised, sad people. Pilots, engineers, office support, everyone.

In this day and age of so called 'modern managment' I find it shocking that a company of such a size can man manage so badly.

The morale is so low and people are so down about the current situation yet still they carry on, working as a team and producing the goods.

It is as though the management staff cannot see what is happening in front of their faces. They throw threats at staff expecting them to jump and people just don't have the inclination to do so anymore. For years we have been giving and giving and now we want something back.

I do not know what other peoples experiences are, but there are many people here being threatened with their jobs or having them taken away.

Desicions being made in departments like engineering and operations are not being made by people who know how the relevent sections work. The decisions are being made by accountancts. Surely there has to be SOME compromise???

For now I guess we will just continue to do our jobs, with the threats hanging over our heads, but our day WILL come. These people will have to wake up sooner or later and realise that it just isn't working.

Thanks for reading, just me trying to vent some of this out.

"Some days you are the pigeon, some days you are the statue" (and at the moment, we are all being sh*t on from a great height!"

paco
22nd Jun 2002, 00:22
I sympathise. It didn't start when a certain Canadian company went shopping, by any chance?

Phil

Skycop
22nd Jun 2002, 00:23
Well there's two ways out.

The river. And a job in MacDonald's.

:eek: No, no, I was only joking - Please, PLEASE don't do it.

Not MacDonald's.......:D

WestWind1950
22nd Jun 2002, 06:51
Sometimes it's nice to hear that such problems are not only in ones own company. I work in Germany and we have the same demotivation of personel. Because of downsizeing to save costs, the left over work is put on the shoulders of the remaining personel. The increased workload is difficult to handle and it gets frustrating when you can't do it as thoroughly as it should be done. Very depressing. :( We can hardly meet deadlines, the customers get angry but we can't do anything about it. We work overtime without extra pay...what good does it do to take a day off for compensation? The work only continues to pile up!! One of these days something is going to happen because the person responsible for a certain job is on vacation or sick (or dies from over-work) and there's no one available with the necessary know-how.... but those in "management" don't seem to care.....

So, now I too have let off some steam..... today is Saturday and I'm just about to leave for duty...tomorrow I'll also be on duty...good thing my kids are grown and on their own!! :D

keep flying!!

WestWind1950

SASless
24th Jun 2002, 13:44
As common a held belief as you guys have espoused here....feeling better about spouting off....and sometimes that does help....I suggest a letter to the Chairman of the Board of Directors, with a copy to each member, and if a publically held company, copies to all of the senior stockholders sometimes makes you feel even better. (....and some feel much worse!) When those that have a major financial involvement in the business realize they might be facing an upcoming downturn in their share values......then they tend to get very interested. Look for a ear with the people that can make a change.

PercyDragon
24th Jun 2002, 14:21
For some years I was an S61 pilot on the North Sea. Also training captain on same. (for a very large operator.)

I found that the management was appalling and the job was also destroying me. I also hated the Scottish weather...and wasn't desperately keen on the Jocks either.

I'm afraid that you've just got to make the decision and get the hell out of it. The problem is that it will entail a very large sacrifice in terms of lost income and disruption to your wife and kids.

I'm now installed in Cheltenham in a completely different line of work. So in the end it was well worth the move.

The fundamental problem is that we are all victims of the Capitalist system. Your employer will load you with S*** and pay your the minimum. That's how the world works. The problem with the capitalist system is that, although it's not perfect, it's the best sytem there is when compared to all the others.

Best of luck.