PDA

View Full Version : Stress/Anxiety

overdoverover
21st Jun 2002, 21:22
OK, here's the deal, I'm an F/O flying short haul routes around europe, recently I have been signed off work due to stress/anxiety/depression, and as such my medical has been withdrawn. I'm not sure whether or not the cause is work-related, or just stuff that's been going on at home (prob both). Has anyone out there had any similar experiences? If so any helpful advice on how best to "get sorted" and how long it takes would be much appreciated. cheers in advance.

takenthe5thamendment
22nd Jun 2002, 11:57
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems.

The answer to your question re: how long it will get to get sorted is a difficult one to answer.
A lot would depend on the type of depression you are suffering from -

mild, moderate, severe.

It's awful when it is classified into types like that, when someone is suffering, it may be classed as mild, but to the sufferer, it feels severe.

Depression happens due to a chemical imbalance in the brain.
This takes time to rectify.
Antidepressants help to balance these chemicals and after a period of time one reaches a plateau, the patient then fels better, medication is continued to be taken and is then gradually reduced, the chemicals remain balanced and the patient is 'sorted'.

Gosh I must be rabbiting on here.............part 2 to follow.

takenthe5thamendment
22nd Jun 2002, 11:59
Part 2.......

Antidepressants usually take about a month before any effects are felt by the sufferer...........its really important to continue to take the medication.
The thing is, when one is feeling like that, one wants/needs instant effect.

Talking to someone who is understanding can help, I dont necessarily mean go to structured counselling sessions, but to talk to someone you can trust can make a difference to how you perceive everything, not your wife, someone more detatched.

Every year 40% of the population suffer from one form of depression or another.............................a sad reflection on the lives we lead.

So the real answer to your question is, how long is a piece of string?

You take care, sorry I couldnt have been any help, it all takes time.

Email me if you like.

:) J x

scanscanscan
26th Jun 2002, 12:22
My friend suffered deep depression.
He was admitted to hospital, the local NHS team bought him back.
Loss of medical to medical back time was two years.
The Uk Caa were very helpful and understanding, apparently it happens to several pilots each year.

QDMQDMQDM
26th Jun 2002, 21:32
As a GP I deal with a huge amount of depression, stress and anxiety -- single biggest part of my workload in fact. In the majority of cases where such things occur in people who have previously been relatively balanced and in particular where there is an obvious precipitant, it doesn't take too long to get back to normal.

Removal of the stressor is obviously a huge help, but modern antidepressants are phenomenally effective. Don't be overly disheartened -- just sort your life out, take a breather and you may well be back flying before too long.

QDM

purr
30th Jun 2002, 15:54
try meditation/yoga it works:cool:

overdoverover
1st Jul 2002, 12:55
Cheers folks, I am starting to feel better, I'm just waiting to see the shrink that my GP referred me to before I re-apply for my medical, unfortunately the waiting list is a couple of months long.