PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong booksellers kidnapping?

Air Profit
6th Jan 2016, 15:16
Just had dinner with friends in Central tonight. One of the women was a cousin of one of the booksellers who has 'disappeared'. Allegedly mainland chinese agents kidnapped 5 of them, who's bookshops sold books here in HK critical of the mainland leadership. The HK Govt is paralysed with fear as to what to do. I can't imagine the local populace is exactly feeling filled with confidence either. I always wondered what the 'watershed' event would be to turn the dark corner with HK, suspect this might be it. Worrying times. Comments? btw, the woman is so scared she is planning on moving to Canada within the year.

Ocean Person
7th Jan 2016, 03:35
Air Profit:
The scenario is simple, "Give trouble and you get trouble". Those five characters get no sympathy from me and I think you will find they get very little sympathy from the average Hongkonger.

O.P.

Rascasse
7th Jan 2016, 03:40
Wow. With that attitude HK is truly doomed. Truly. You will get the society you deserve...

cxorcist
7th Jan 2016, 03:55
Freedom of speech, press, assembly, and religion. Guess those are not universally accepted in HK. Who wouldn't want big brother constantly looking over their shoulder to ensure proper behavior? China will never be a true superpower because it oppresses freedom of thought rather than encouraging it, not entirely unlike CX mis-management.

Frogman1484
7th Jan 2016, 06:02
We had a cabin crew offloaded from my Beijing flight due to what she wrote on her FB page...they are watching...:mad:

KABOY
7th Jan 2016, 08:28
Air Profit:
The scenario is simple, "Give trouble and you get trouble". Those five characters get no sympathy from me and I think you will find they get very little sympathy from the average Hongkonger.

OP, for someone who sits on shores far away, may you heed some wise words.

One might imagine all of society under communism as a kind of extended stay at the ever-providing home of mom and dad, where all goods and services are provided by someone else besides themselves. Communism means never having to leave the nest.

Ah yet the truth about communism and state planning in general is that it leads not to security and happiness—the blessed memory of life under the care of mom and dad—but to regimentation and abuse, to a world that is grey, stagnate, and lacking any creativity and beauty, to a world that looked like Prague in the old days and not the glorious new ones

Ocean Person
7th Jan 2016, 09:35
KABOY and cxorist:

You both may care to note that it was Karl Marx who said: "The development of modern industry produces the bourgeoisie who in turn produce their own grave diggers."
This Hong Kong affair is typical. Exactly what Marx was referring to.

O.P.

Yonosoy Marinero
7th Jan 2016, 10:55
O.P. is the resident Party propagandist.

He regularly trolls these forums to sing the praises of communist totalitarism and to preach the Stalinian doctrines his unquestioned leaders in Beijing try to emulate.

The HK Govt is paralysed with fear as to what to do.

No, they're not. They're facilitating the whole thing and keeping it under lid.

Dan Winterland
7th Jan 2016, 11:43
“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

mngmt mole
7th Jan 2016, 17:57
Dan. Sadly that exactly describes the present day USA and Western Europe. The end of civilisation is not that far away...