PDA

View Full Version : Would this act of kindness happen here?

TBM-Legend
5th Jan 2016, 18:58
Delta pilot turns plane back so family won?t miss funeral (http://www.ondair.net/delta-pilot-turns-plane-back-so-family-wont-miss-funeral/)

Rodney Rotorslap
5th Jan 2016, 19:36
It's a lovely story and full marks to the captain but who told him about the special circumstances if the gate agent didn't?

bafanguy
5th Jan 2016, 21:01
So, the reputation of the airline business has become so cold and dehumanizing that a routine act of civility and compassion becomes international news ?

...sad...

Capt Claret
5th Jan 2016, 21:04
Would this act of kindness happen here?

Absolutely.

Though I don't think it would occur simply by seeing passengers waving frantically thought the lounge window.

bafanguy
5th Jan 2016, 21:11
Capt Claret,

"Though I don't think it would occur simply by seeing passengers waving frantically thought the lounge window."

I can recall refusing to push under EXACTLY that scenario.

I bet several, if not many, will add to this thread with similar stories. It's just unfortunate that it's apparently newsworthy.

Gate_15L
8th Jan 2016, 00:28
No sorry, it would'nt happen here.

As touching as this story is, this is how it would probably go down...

Said captain turns back to the gate, incurring a ground return much to the ire of the ground staff and the confusion of the ramp staff...

It takes 10-15 minutes of fluffing around because said ramp and gate staff have already moved onto the next departure in their already tight busy turnaround schedule.

The aircraft finally gets back and it takes another 10 minutes to get the airbridge hooked up and doors open.

Tearful family boards and is seated, doors re shut and new load sheet required.

Aircraft departs finally about a hour or too later all up after getting new clearance for push back and departure.

Aircraft arrives a hour late. Ground staff supervisor at departure port is pissed and writes up a report reporting the captain to management. Several passengers complain about being a hour late for arrival and they miss their connecting flights. Said pax are put up in hotels paid for by the airline.

Hero captain is pulled into office by Senior Base Pilot and asked a please explain why you initiated a non sanctioned ground return. Said captain given a complete bollocking.

Welcome to an Australian airline of the 21st century. Where no one is capable of thinking for themselves, nor take any responsibility or ownership of any problems encountered and completed blind dumb compliance is demanded by a equally disconnected management whose sole aviation experience consists of reading Air Transport World Weekly, Geoffrey Thomas articles and a few accounting papers at uni....

TBM-Legend
8th Jan 2016, 01:00
Good PR for Delta actually in this day of 24 Hr news bull****..

ACMS
8th Jan 2016, 02:17
It wouldn't be only an Australian Airline that would bullock the Captain, I'm sure mine would too...:{