PDA

View Full Version : Converting to FAA in FL

milleroz
5th Jan 2016, 18:47
G'day People,

I will be travelling to US in October to convert my Australian CPL to FAA for an upcoming job opportunity and would like some opinions on some great schools in the Orlando area. Preferably Kissimmee.

Any pointers?

Cheers

Rod

Booglebox
5th Jan 2016, 21:01
Sunstate at Kissimmee; or TCFT at Stuart.

LTCTerry
7th Jan 2016, 11:45
OP - check your PM.

bafanguy
7th Jan 2016, 12:22
Milleroz,

So...which US regional hired you ? ;-)

milleroz
17th Jan 2016, 21:46
If the opportunity presents itself, it'll be for a private gig.

milleroz
17th Jan 2016, 21:49
Thanks all for for the replies

Rod

bafanguy
18th Jan 2016, 10:21
milleroz,

Hope it works out for you. Is it a gig in the US or flying an N-registered airplane elsewhere ?

milleroz
21st Jan 2016, 10:48
Gig based in the US, FL. Flying N aircraft for a Brazilian

LTCTerry
28th Jan 2016, 11:17
...in October to convert my Australian CPL to FAA...
There is no "converting." The FAA will, under reasonable conditions, issue a Private Pilot Certificate based on your Australian license. As long as the underlying Australian paperwork remains valid, then the US Private Certificate is valid. You can get an instrument rating specific to this certificate, too.

This "on the basis of" certificate can be used as the basis for fully independent, "real" if you will, FAA certificates.

You have to have your civil aeronautics administration validate to the FAA that your documents are legitimate. Eventually you pickup your documents at a FSDO you've selected months in advance; allow a couple weeks to make an appointment due to security concerns. Oh, the validation must not yet have expired before you take your checkride(s) or you will have to get it replaced. Happened to one of my students.

You will need a medical and a flight review before you can fly PIC/solo on the private certificate. There's no reason this flight review can't also function as part of the training for the rest of your goal.

You will need an instructor's endorsement to take the instrument rating written test. You will need a minimum of "three hours of dual in preparation for the practical test" for the instrument rating. A checkride with an examiner is required.

You will need an instructor's endorsement to take the commercial pilot written test. You will need a minimum of "three hours of dual in preparation for the practical test" for the commercial pilot. If you're not familiar with the unusual maneuvers flown by FAA commercial students, you will need to allow for dual for that. A checkride with an examiner is required.

There is the TSA to deal with if travelling to the US for flight training.

A visa for flight training won't let you work. Probably can't get a work visa if you're not legal to fly the employer's airplane.

The FCC requires a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators License. You'll need this to fly N-reg outside the United States.

There are several pages of a sticky under the North American forum area that provides great detail of information on this topic.

Any pointers?
You can probably find a flight instructor or ground instructor there who can prep you for the written tests. You can probably find someone who can do the physical for you before you leave.

Everyone of these things can be accomplished given time to plan, research, and money. I'm surprised no one has pointed these out yet. I'm normally not the nattering nabob of negativity.

B2N2
30th Jan 2016, 15:19
Not to forget you'll need to do this in a Multi if you want a CPL ME.
Unless the company/airplane is formally based outside of the US you can't do this unless you have work authorization or a greencard.
Trust me, good ol' boys don't take kindly to foreigners taking jobs.
Trust me, I'm one of them.........foreigners that is :ok:

milleroz
4th Feb 2016, 22:35
Thanks for the replies, in contact with a school now.