PDA

View Full Version : Lost chance?

glad rag
4th Jan 2016, 11:19
Argentina urges UK to return to negotiating table over Falkland Islands | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/04/falkland-islands-argentina-urges-uk-to-return-to-negotiating-table)

"
“Argentina renews its firm commitment to peacefully settling its differences, to international law and multilateralism,” the foreign ministry under the country’s new president, Mauricio Macri, said in a statement.

Buenos Aires “invites the United Kingdom to resume as soon as possible negotiations aimed at settling fairly and definitively, the sovereignty dispute over the Malvinas (Falklands) islands, South Georgia, South Sandwich islands and surrounding territorial seas,” the statement said."

What a shame that a new government could just not, for once, look forwards and not back.

There is no question at all of sovereignty.

However the economic benefits to Argentina of cooperating with the FI legislative assembly re OIL and mineral rights should surely have been obvious.

politicians, eh who needs them.

Ken Scott
4th Jan 2016, 11:51
A pointless exercise in trying to keep the matter 'on the table'. They want sovereignty but we won't give it to them because we fought a war to liberate the Islands after their stupidity in invading - had they played the long game the UK was anxious to be rid of them until they forced us to fight. So any discussions that could be held would lead to disappointment on one side particularly as the UK's hands are tied by the recent overwhelming referendum vote.

Clearly the new government in Argentina is not going to take the opportunity to quietly let this slip in the hope of rehabilitating itself internationally but is determined to bang the Malvinas drum. Yet there's no point in sitting down to talks where one side says 'We want the Malvinas' & the other side says 'No'. Even to hold such talks would give credence to the Argentinian claim where none exists so are not going to happen.

Perhaps when Argentina 'de-colonises' itself & returns the land to its original inhabitants, assuming it left any alive, then the UK government could discuss the sovereignty of the formerly uninhabited Islands that we discovered.

mopardave
4th Jan 2016, 12:07
Glad Rag......tbh, is there any point? If they're not interested in sovereignty, then it has to be economic. They want something from us......right? This government, and let's face it, previous governments, also have "previous" for caving in at the negotiating table. So what DO they want? Call me an old cynic but I don't see the point. Unfortunately, they can now claim the moral high ground and say......."well, we tried, but the Brits just won't talk to us." Do the Spanish talk to anyone about Ceuta?.....NO! Would the French engage with anyone over their colonial past?......I doubt it. We made our point in 1982. I'm sure I'll be accused of being a DM reader for the above....I'm not....and I'm also acutely aware that it won't be me that has to clear up any mess if it all gets nasty.
Best
MD:ok:

Stanwell
4th Jan 2016, 12:31
Look, you chaps just don't seem to understand.

Let me spell it out for you...
The entirety of Argentina's political and economic 'difficulty' is due to the Malvinas having been stolen from them... OK?.. Got it?
Unfortunately though, Macri and his crowd have yet to convince the 'man in the street' of that.

BTW, I wonder how the 'beef for bombers' deal with Russia is going.
Forget about the warplane deal with Israel - Israel's neither that stupid nor desperate (I hope).

ShotOne
4th Jan 2016, 12:57
It's interesting to note that any (extremely tenuous) claim to sovereignty that Argentina might stake, is based entirely on a Spanish colonial claim which pre-dates the existence of the nation of Argentina. If that claim were ever to be recognised it would surely reinstate Spanish sovereignty over the territory currently known as Argentina.