PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL approved calculator

Dupre
4th Jan 2016, 10:07
It seems the only approved calculators are: Casio FX 83/85/300 series; Sharp EL-W531; Citizen SR-260; Texas Instruments TI-30XS.

Are they serious about this? I have a Casio FX82, can I really expect to not be allowed it in the exam?

Ta!

Link for the list of approved calculators here. http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Exams/Register-for-a-professional-pilot-exam/#supplied-approved-and-prohibited-items

keith williams
4th Jan 2016, 10:57
If you were to challenge this the CAA would probably argue that they do not have the capacity to test every version of calculator in existence, and if they did then a new one would probably be introduced the next day.

But let's get the problem into perspective. An FX83 costs about 8 pounds. Compared to the extortionate prices charged for most elements of flight training, the cost of a new calculator is trivial.

paco
4th Jan 2016, 12:28
Yes, they are serious and, as Keith says, the invigilators cannot be expected to know about every calculator. I think tesco do the 83 at £6 last time I saw.

Also note that only certain types of flight computer are allowed.

phil

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jan 2016, 12:44
Also note that the fx83 is a bloody good multi-purpose calculator, useful throughout your flying training and much else. For less than a tenner, just buy one!

G

paco
4th Jan 2016, 15:03
The most useful button is the one with the two sets of commas on it!

phil

Dupre
4th Jan 2016, 22:43
Ok thanks everyone, I will stop moaning and pay the 6 quid ☺

keith williams
5th Jan 2016, 11:21
Sorry if my post sounded a bit grumpy, it was not intended to be.

The current situation is actually an improvement on the previous one. For many years the rules simply stated that calculators must not be programmable and must no have an alpha function button. Unfortunately almost all types of modern calculator do have an alpha function button, so there was always a risk that students would have their calcultor confiscated (and replaced by a wheeties box version) immediately before the exam.