PDA

View Full Version : SSH international flights

xxzz123
4th Jan 2016, 00:34
Can anyone shed any light on where SSH (Sharm el Sheikh) is with regarding the resumption of European flights?

crewmeal
4th Jan 2016, 06:30
It seems UK carriers keep putting the restart to SSH back. The latest is now Mid March from I gather from the press. The strange thing about all this is that the resort of Sharm is 'as safe as houses' It's just the airport that's a no go area for now.

Egypt losing £120m a month as UK's Sharm el-Sheikh flight ban continues | Africa | News | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypt-losing-120m-a-month-as-uks-sharm-el-sheikh-flight-ban-continues-a6793931.html)

Laarbruch72
4th Jan 2016, 08:43
It seems UK carriers keep putting the restart to SSH back.

Not quite. The restart of operations for UK carriers at SSH is very much FCO advice led, so while they still advise UK travellers not to use SSH airport, airlines have no option but to keep pushing their cancellations further down the line. Airlines and Governments are working together actively on a restart but the conditions and timelines for that won't be made public.

paully
4th Jan 2016, 08:48
I would imagine demand for this place has dropped off the cliff. I`m sure people have realised that if the airport can be infiltrated, then so can the `safe as houses` resort itself. For that reason I suspect that ours and other European Govts will be very reluctant to give the all clear, if they ever do.Certainly can`t see tour operators rushing back in.

AerRyan
4th Jan 2016, 14:03
"If they ever do" ah here, no need for melodramatics. This sort of thing isn't the first time its happened, worst case scenario a few years.

paully
4th Jan 2016, 15:55
Hardly melodramatic when so many innocent people lost their lives in the Sinai desert.:= Quad Scripti Scripti :ugh:

AerRyan
4th Jan 2016, 18:19
Ah for god sake, you can't validate any stupid point just by putting "BUT PEOPLE DIED" at the end. Its a very sad and insulting thing to do.

LBIA
8th Jan 2016, 18:19
I know this is not Sharm el Sheikh related, But Breaking News now is that terrorists have struck again but this time in the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Hurghada

Gunmen 'attack Egypt tourist hotel' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35268713)

Get a feeling that they must be a possibility that all tourist charter flights to Egypt will now be put on hold.

LiamNCL
8th Jan 2016, 21:17
Cant see SSH returning anytime soon

ATNotts
9th Jan 2016, 08:36
Cant see SSH returning anytime soon

Appreciate what you say, but mass shooting happen every day in the USA, yet nobody ever suggests that holidaymakers should be banned from travelling to major US cities, or states. There are double standards at work here.

It's about time people were allowed to make informed decisions based on risk assessments they make; otherwise, frankly we'll be running out of places we're "allowed" to visit.

To that end, personally I would be happy to visit Tunisia or Egypt today - but only to the main resorts.

SWBKCB
9th Jan 2016, 08:44
Apples and oranges - the mass shootings in the US aren't politically motivated attacks specifically targeting foreign tourists.

Shed-on-a-Pole
9th Jan 2016, 10:01
It's about time people were allowed to make informed decisions based on risk assessments they make; otherwise, frankly we'll be running out of places we're "allowed" to visit.

To that end, personally I would be happy to visit Tunisia or Egypt today - but only to the main resorts.

People are generally allowed to holiday where they choose; the FCO simply offers advice on the matter. But if you do choose to holiday in a destination with a known issue, you may find that insurance companies will refuse to offer you cover - why would they? In fact, they don't pay up for terrorist-related losses anyway. Meanwhile, tour operators must focus their programmes on resorts which they can market to customers at a profit. Flying a one-third filled B738 to Egypt is a huge loss-maker however brave and intrepid those passengers may be. And they have to account for the liability risk as well.

Meanwhile, US-style mass-shootings (whilst deeply regrettable in their own right) do not have a track-record of targeting the tourism industry. In countries such as Egypt and Tunisia where outrages are generally motivated by depraved 'religious' fanaticism, attacking tourism is viewed as a way to undermine the economy and the credibility of the governing regime. Hence tourists are a preferred target of choice for the brainwashed medieval savages.

nigel osborne
9th Jan 2016, 10:16
AT NOTTS.

Think you miss the point.

Im not aware of any tourists being targeted, shot or killed in the US and there are many more visiting the US than Egypt ??

The attacks in Egypt especially in Sharm and Hurghada have been deliberately directed at foreign tourists.

Yet another attack mid week by the Pyramids in Egypt where a bus carrying tourists was sprayed with bullets although thankfully no serious injuries.

Way safer to go to the US as a British tourist than Egypt at present !

Nigel

Nigel

HH6702
9th Jan 2016, 10:56
Thomas cook holidays have pulled the HRG flights from April from NCL.
Can't see SSH returning for the summer.

It's a shame but safety must come first.

NCL only has a Thomson planned SSH flight now if this is still on sale for summer not sure for how much longer

LiamNCL
9th Jan 2016, 18:53
America has gun crime i accept that but as stated you are no more a target just because you are a Tourist , We have very similar culture where as Egypt / Tunisa are soft targets for terrorists purposely targeting tourists from the West , Bookings will be so bad for Tunisa and Egypt a just cant see tour operator flying a empty plane with half a dozen die hard brits and make a loss when it could be full down to TFS