PDA

View Full Version : Nothing landing DXB

White Knight
3rd Jan 2016, 07:03
Flights going out of DXB off 30, but doesn't look like anythings landed for a good half hour plus and (if you believe FR24) there's holding over multiple way points including OSTIN...

Weather looks ok in that direction so is there some other reason for halting arrivals?

Trader
3rd Jan 2016, 09:51
Apparantly due BIRDS! Not kidding.

Sheikh Your Bootie
3rd Jan 2016, 12:30
He kids you not, loads of flocking birds apparently.... DXB closed for over an hour for arrivals...Until a few aircraft started pissing off to DWC and SHJ, then it was miraculously opened.
I think habibi and his falcons were called out, all sorted no problem :ok::ok:

SyB :zzz::zzz:

Wear the Fox Hat
3rd Jan 2016, 14:05
Even the birds are leaving :rolleyes:

Emma Royds
3rd Jan 2016, 17:30
What.... the birds are leaving Dubai? How will the establishments on SZR and in Deira continue to survive?

Oh.... you mean THOSE birds?

Avid Aviator
3rd Jan 2016, 18:20
Yep, went single rwy ops for a while around midday due birds (according to ATIS)!! Inbound a/c given an ETA of "indeterminate".
Just when you though this place couldn't get any weirder!!

palmdeira
3rd Jan 2016, 21:17
WK check your pm's

Three Wire
4th Jan 2016, 05:32
Didn't think that ATC could close an airport unleas their was a crash on the only runway.

Monarch Man
4th Jan 2016, 09:19
A bit of a shower, then this place turns into a shower of sh1t. Various excuses trotted out "baggage system failure" " birds" "weather" "all left handed people called Brian" etc etc etc
The fact is you can't run a seemingly state of the art 1st world facility by putting 3rd world mentalities and intellects in decision making positions.
Anyone would think that there had been a natural disaster for fecks sake, but no merely the usual abysmal performance in this part of the world when anything in the "not knowing" category happens.

JAARule
4th Jan 2016, 09:35
You've pretty much summed it up, MM.

Kapitanleutnant
4th Jan 2016, 10:32
Bravo and well said, Monarch. if it's not exactly as planned or written, it's as if someone threw the proverbial wrench into the gears and just clogged it all up... stops functioning

K

glofish
4th Jan 2016, 10:37
Still the Bigwhig got a pat on his back from the Sickwhig, congratulating him for bringing this dump from the 14th to the 15th century

SOPS
4th Jan 2016, 11:24
Could it be that everyone is scared to " think outside the box" due possible repercussions?

ExDubai
4th Jan 2016, 12:03
Could it be that everyone is scared to " think outside the box" due possible repercussions?

This was one of my first thoughts......

letMfly
4th Jan 2016, 12:29
Reminds me of when Abu Dhabi Intl was invaded by hundreds of White Storks overnight in the 80s.
After an A310 had an engine wrecked by them the police and AFS went out with shotguns. Total carnage! :eek:

what_goes_up
4th Jan 2016, 12:30
Sounds like any major airport in Europe with the first snow... Happens every winter but catches them in surprise regularly...

Ooops, sorry, that doesn't fit into the ME bashing... mea culpa!

Calmcavok
4th Jan 2016, 12:30
So what was the issue? A drop of rain?

This could be a Python sketch...

Guy D'ageradar
4th Jan 2016, 14:04
3W

Didn't think that ATC could close an airport unless their was a crash on the only runway.

Quite right - and they didn't. The Airport operator did.

Situation repeated after further showers in the pm when a few thousand more gulls came for a bath in the newly formed lake......

Monarch Man
4th Jan 2016, 17:14
Situation repeated after further showers in the pm when a few thousand more gulls came for a bath in the newly formed lake...

It's almost as if there is no collective intelligence to foresee this kind of thing, certainly rain isn't a huge issue in the ME, but birds have always been an issue near costal airports.
As ever the path to increased returns comes at the expense of having robust and definable contingencies in place, in most regions you would find a bird scare team.
Isn't falconry a national pastime in the UAE? It makes you wonder :ugh::hmm:

donpizmeov
5th Jan 2016, 02:01
Does this happen very often moanarch? Or would it be the first event like it in your time here?
There are some important issues that need to be argued here, but I think this isn't one of them.

Monarch Man
5th Jan 2016, 07:03
Maybe, maybe not Don, either way you have your opinion I have mine, it does however play into the narrative of the problems we all face.
I suppose Don there's no point moaning about the driving or dealing with any government entity either eh?