PDA

View Full Version : Starting a 355N?

paco
21st Jun 2002, 16:44
Any tips? my time is on an F1 so would appreciate any comments. I know it has a FADEC, but that's about all.

cheers

phil

Mark Six
21st Jun 2002, 22:37
Paco,
It's almost pilot proof. The FADEC pretty much takes care of everything, although it can be a bit temperamental. Self test takes 10-15 secs and if it doesn't like what it sees, it won't let you start. Re-set the Direct Batt switch and let it run the self test again- sometimes it works. If it tests okay, it should start when you flick the switch, provided the rotor brake lever is fully forward.

paco
21st Jun 2002, 22:57
Ah yes, the rotor brake :) Thanks for that, I've got to go and pick one up for somebody and wasn't quite sure. At least the FM will be in English so I should be able to work it out. Is there a rundown time?

phil

Skycop
22nd Jun 2002, 00:12
Paco,

A warning for you! You MUST ensure that the collective is locked down before you attempt to start an engine.

It is quite normal to start the aircraft with the ECLs in the "fly" position. If you do this and the lever isn't down, the aircraft will get light on the skids and possibly inadvertantly airborne as the Nr comes up.

This is potentially disastrous. And no, it wasn't me wot did it. ;)

Oh yes, a one minute run-down time. Don't you need differences training in Canada? We do in UK.

paco
22nd Jun 2002, 00:26
I know about locking the collective, we had that in the F1, though there was a lady pilot in Fort Nelson who forgot.....

We do get difference training, but this is a private flight anyway - just being sensible - don't want to pay for a melted back end! Luckily, the 407 has a FADEC, too, so I can work a couple of things out.

cheers again - if I get some nice pics I will post them - going from Texas to Ohio

Phil

matador
22nd Jun 2002, 14:13
Hi Paco , as said before, it's about pilot proof.
I would say only one more thing to take care of: If you are going to start those engines with some downwind, be very careful for it will have a nice hot start most surely if you do not quit the cranking, and you might think that FADEC would take care of that when needed but I've never been able to wait long enugh to see if it really does.
BTW: Where does PACO come from ? Something to do with pain?:cool:

matador
22nd Jun 2002, 17:41
Sorry about spelling กกกก
In the previous post I meant SPAIN not pain:rolleyes:

paco
25th Jun 2002, 19:50
Well, I managed to move the thing from McAllen in texas to Cincinatti in about 9.6 hours - I'm now waiting at the airport for the next 7 hours to go home (yawn). Nice machine, and the mexicans had maintained it very well - it was certainly very smooth to fly.Thanks for all the tips.

Paco? My initials are PAC and a girlfriend long ago added an O - never did find out why

Phil