PDA

View Full Version : Third-country licences in Europe - what's the latest?

this is my username
2nd Jan 2016, 07:35
Does anyone know what the latest news / rumour is on the use of third-country licences on non-EASA registered aircraft after 8th April 2016?

Latest I can find on the UK CAA website is IN-2014/171 http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Information%20Notice%202014171.pdf

Does anyone know if the deadline is likely to be extended?

winkwink
4th Jan 2016, 08:37
It seems clear that another delay is unlikely, and that April 8 is the date by which compliance is required.
With previous postponements of implementation, the notice had gone through by this time of the year.

Pace
4th Jan 2016, 09:29
Wink wink

It's not clear at all and it was not announced that there would be an extension at this time of year last year
With EASA completing the final stages of a bilateral on non commercial and a promise of doing the same on commercial licences I cannot see how it can go ahead
With polls strongly indicating a no vote to Europe that too would make for an interesting legal situation

Pace

Pace
4th Jan 2016, 10:31
great news )) just had 100% reliable information that the commission have voted for a further year extension to April 2017
An announcement will be made very soon on the AOPA website and further through the CAA
By 2017 we will know whether we are in or out of Europe

Pace

winkwink
4th Jan 2016, 18:10
Fantastic. Thanks, Peter. I'll pass the news on to Chris!

timoc1
7th Jan 2016, 20:28
Hey, is this public yet and confirmed?

timoc1
7th Jan 2016, 20:52
Interesting thread… I hold a current CASA CPL. IF I wanted to fly a UK registered aircraft in the UK, would this rule/waiver apply? From what I can tell, one would still require a conversion to CAA/EASA if needing to fly on instruments.
See 2.2, "subject to the restrictions (in the Air Navigation Order) that the provision does not entitle the licence holder....
b) to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules....
In order to fly a UK registered plane in the UK privately I would have to convert my AUS license over if needing to fly under IR, right. Is there an easier way to do this?
:

Pace
7th Jan 2016, 22:46
Tim

I think you are on about something else? This would be like you having an Australian registered jet based and operated in Europe and having all the current Australian licenses to fly that jet IFR as well as a current Australian type rating on that jet.

EASA decided in their wisdom to stop you flying that Australian registered jet by saying NO you cannot unless you hold equivalent EASA licences.

You must hold those licences regardless of the fact that EASA licences have no bearing or validity on an Australian registered jet.

It is a long sour grapes war against mainly N reg jets which have been operating legally in Europe for longer than the EU has been in place.

Their Pilots correctly licensed and making an honest living from doing so for decades will be forced out of those jobs or made to spend a fortune in time and money getting a mass of useless licenses and exams to fly jose aircraft

Older pilots with only a few years left in their careers will be forced out by the fact that their earning capacity won't justify the costs of converting

EASA are supposed to be a SAFETY regulators but have been caught up in a political war against N reg jets by certain powerful pressure groups and individuals who have their own NON safety based agenda

Your question seems more about whether you can visit the UK and use your Australian licence to rent and fly a G reg aircraft and whether you can fly IFR in CAS with that Australian license in a G reg?

Pace

BizJetJock
26th Jan 2016, 10:47
Hi Pace,
Any update on your "100% reliable" information, since there is no sign of any announcements anywhere?

Cheers,

BJJ

mad2fly
26th Jan 2016, 14:02
I know I've brought this up before but I'm wondering how this will effect non-EU nationals. ICAO explicitly gives a country the right to require its nationals to have whatever licensing it wants when flying foreign registered aircraft. This does not extend to non-nationals.

1.2.4.2 Licences of Personnel - Article 32

...Each Contracting State reserves the right to refuse to recognise, for the purpose of flight above its own territory, certificates of competency and licences granted to any of its nationals by another Contracting State.