PDA

View Full Version : Turkish and Greek fighter planes engage in dogfight over Aegean Sea

Lyneham Lad
30th Dec 2015, 18:44
More willy-waving over the Aegean... (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkish-and-greek-fighter-planes-in-dog-fight-over-aegean-a6791006.html) As reported in the Independent.

Greek and Turkish jets engaged in a dogfight after Turkish aircraft reportedly violated Greek air space nine times.

Jets from the two countries engaged in a brief altercation over the Aegean Sea after six Turkish aircraft, flanked by two others, violated Greek national air space nine times, according to Greek media.

The eight Turkish jets, of which two were armed, were chased away by Greek interceptors.

MPN11
30th Dec 2015, 18:47
The 'Indecent' article also implies the Armee de l'Air were involved :D

Lyneham Lad
30th Dec 2015, 18:48
The 'Indecent' article also implies the Armee de l'Air were involved :D

Well, it did state "there were two others..." ;)

ShotOne
30th Dec 2015, 20:02
How very silly. A French Rafale is pictured although it doesn't explain why.

a1bill
31st Dec 2015, 00:54
At least the author knows a fighter from a bomber.

hunterboy
31st Dec 2015, 07:07
Good job the Greeks don't use the Turks rules of engagement.....

AreOut
31st Dec 2015, 09:37
are NATO countries even allowed to shoot each other planes?!

cattletruck
31st Dec 2015, 09:48
One of Putin's very rich mates owns a holiday "house" by the Aegean and I believe Putin snuck in for his daughter's recent wedding.

I wouldn't be surprised if the holiday "house" boasted a few SAMs, I guess we'll soon find out.

skippedonce
31st Dec 2015, 15:34
are NATO countries even allowed to shoot each other planes?! Yes, although I'm sure that, as with so many other things, Turkey is an exception. - https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19830111&id=rFNUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a40DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6896,2312335&hl=en

27mm
31st Dec 2015, 18:06
On a squadron exchange to HAF Tanagra, our hosts bundled us into a Herc and flew us to Lemnos for lunch. We ate at a beachside taverna, while watching the TAF jets buzz the island.

skylon
2nd Jan 2016, 14:35

No ,its not silly ! this is an F-16 and not Rafale !! both countries operate around 350 F-16's combined which are the backbone of their air forces.

Rhino power
2nd Jan 2016, 22:38

No ,its not silly ! this is an F-16 and not Rafale !!

Originally the picture in the article was of a Rafale, although it has now been changed to an F-16, it's an Israeli AF one at that! :D

-RP

k3k3
2nd Jan 2016, 22:42
They have changed the picture, it did show a Fench aircraft, it now shows an Israeli F-16. Perhaps they read pprune.

ShotOne
3rd Jan 2016, 22:39
Thank you, k3k3, yes they have changed the pic. Although they still don't explain why an Israeli aircraft is now pictured; but from a Greek point of view they'd all be equally unwelcome.

That's not what I meant about very silly though. Why on earth should Turkey choose this time to behave so provocatively towards a NATO "ally"? As hunter boy said, what if Greece played by the Turkish rules?

MACH2NUMBER
4th Jan 2016, 21:37
No surprises at this, as those connected with NATO AWACS will know very well. These sort of incidents have been going on for many years. Basically, there are disputes over extent of territorial waters around the islands and whether or not Lemnos should be de-militarised to comply with historic treaties. These issues give both nations a good excuse for macho posturing.

Rwy in Sight
5th Jan 2016, 07:43
cattletruck, your geography skills are a bit off unless last night Ionian Sea and Aegean become one. The island you refer to is in the Ionian Sea.

27mm I hope you enjoyed your lunch and it did not include just fish and seafood.

A former minister used to say it is all a game it would be cheaper if Turkey announces we flew through the disputed airspace and Greece would announce we intercepted you with no flying involved. So MACH2NUMBER is fairly right

ShotOne believe it or not HAF and IAF do have common exercises and I hope they continue.

ShotOne
5th Jan 2016, 09:00
"..it's all a game"? Clearly it isn't for Turkey!

Common exercises or not, rwy in sight, it wouldn't explain Israel choosing to become involved in someone else's border dispute. On the other hand if the Indy's (corrected) photo is also erroneous, its more than sloppy journalism since the nationality of the intruding aircraft is the key point of the story.

Rwy in Sight
5th Jan 2016, 10:45
"..it's all a game"? Clearly it isn't for Turkey!

Common exercises or not, rwy in sight, it wouldn't explain Israel choosing to become involved in someone else's border dispute. On the other hand if the Indy's (corrected) photo is also erroneous, its more than sloppy journalism since the nationality of the intruding aircraft is the key point of the story.

I think it is a case of bad journalism. The co-operation from what is leaked / announced by HAF is fairly extensive. IAF does not involved although some exercise scenarios are interesting to say the least.