PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating or Instructor Rating?

ausflyboy
1st Mar 2001, 14:30
I am very close to taking my commercial test and the net step after that in the course I have paid for is either an instructor or an instrument rating. I have only around 160 hours and I would prefer to do charter flying then instructing. Travel within Australia would not be a major problem if it might result in a job. Any help would be welcome! Thanks!

skywaytoheaven
1st Mar 2001, 23:12
If you have the cash, do the Instrument Rating first - see if you can get a job, if not do the instructor rating, build hours, then get the job you really want. Simple but effective.

Jimmy Mack
2nd Mar 2001, 15:13
The Instrument Rating is an absolute must to get a job. The number of hours...just depends on who you are talking to.

The Instructor Rating will help you build hours, but you will still have to do the IR anyway.

Sound like both if you can afford it!

Jim lovell
2nd Mar 2001, 15:30
Ausflyboy i think it all comes down to how much $$$$ you are willing to spend. Probably be better off doing the instructor rating first though and then getting the IFR when you have more hours built up. An IFR rating is expensive to keep current if you aint constantly using it.