PDA

View Full Version : Russell Crowe, Muppet

Flying Binghi
30th Dec 2015, 06:40
""Goodbye Virgin. Never again," he tweeted....."

Apparently not being allowed to bring an unstable incendiary device on board an aircraft is grounds for a tantrum..:hmm:

Russell Crowe abandons flight, unleashes anger online after Virgin denies travel with hoverboards - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-29/russell-crowe27s-segways-rejected-on-virgin-australia-plane/7058680)

rgsaero
30th Dec 2015, 06:55
Should anyone be surprised at his nonsense? No! Why should someone who spends his life acting characters created by others, under detailed direction be expected to demonstrate any common sense whatsoever?

"Fame" has strange effects on the famous; they seem to believe that because they are good at one thing their views on everything else should be respected!

No such respect should be expected or given.

Dora-9
30th Dec 2015, 07:45
Maybe he'd have been happier if they'd given him a phone to throw at someone?

Newforest2
30th Dec 2015, 08:01
Or found a camerman to punch!

Pinky the pilot
30th Dec 2015, 08:33
Does anyone really care what he thinks?:rolleyes:

rgsaero; Well said.:ok:

dhavillandpilot
30th Dec 2015, 09:16
With his wealth why doesn't he just charter a jet

I'm sure the charter crew would love to be abused.

Reminds me of Kerry Packers Lear crew years ago being berate because they were put into a holding pattern.

Ah the life of the rich and famous

BEACH KING
30th Dec 2015, 09:38
Russell Crowe? The Kiwi bloke?

Capt Quentin McHale
30th Dec 2015, 09:56
DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM ?????

Well done Virgin. It's about time that somebody stood up to these prancing prima donna's with their head stuck firmly up their a$$ !!!

Now who did the CLOWN end up travelling with and was he allowed to take his self igniting hoverboard on board with that carrier?

You out there "what's your name", can you let us know who you eventually travelled with!!!

McHale. :{:{:{:{:{:{:{

Boe787
30th Dec 2015, 17:54
I recall a rumour about Mr Crowe flying in First Class on the Qantas 380, and complaining about Business class passengers disturbing him by walking down the main staircase?

27/09
30th Dec 2015, 18:45
BEACH KING: Russell Crowe? The Kiwi bloke?

Yep that's him, Tosser. He prefers to be known as an Aussie. I'd say most Kiwis would be quite happy with that. You Aussies are very welcome to him. :ok:

rgsaero:"Fame" has strange effects on the famous; they seem to believe that because they are good at one thing their views on everything else should be respected!

No such respect should be expected or given.

I couldn't agree more. We have someone over here who cannot decide if he's a Union or League player or a boxer yet he seems to get himself on the front page quite regularly for stuff totally unrelated to his "job".

Then again I think the media are part of the problem always looking for the big headline and easy story.

HPSOV L
30th Dec 2015, 18:59
To be fair, I think he was venting about the lack of prior notice about the banned item rather the ban on the item itself.
Given the sudden popularity of these toys I imagine a lot of people have probably been caught out like this but their venting doesn't make good media fodder.

cwatters
30th Dec 2015, 19:24
Russell Crowe abandons flight, unleashes anger online after Virgin denies travel with hoverboards - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-29/russell-crowe27s-segways-rejected-on-virgin-australia-plane/7058680)

The airline again responded, saying the relevant information is outlined in the Dangerous Goods section in the booking conformation and check-in reminder emails.

HPSOV L
30th Dec 2015, 20:50
Yes I know , but buried in the fine print. Not excusing his outburst but airlines should really be more proactive, rather than a bit of legal ass covering.
How many people who book online really read the pages of disclaimers?

Compylot
30th Dec 2015, 20:57
Russell Crowe has done us all a great service!

As this incident is trending on THE major News source for all Australians- Facebook, Bogans around the country have now had an education more effective than any other into the dangers of carrying Lithium batteries on board aircraft!

Duchess_Driver
30th Dec 2015, 22:49
Yes I know , but buried in the fine print. Not excusing his outburst but airlines should really be more proactive, rather than a bit of legal ass covering.
How many people who book online really read the pages of disclaimers?

If pax can't be arsed to read what's printed, why would they be bothered to pay attention to any other medium or method for the delivery of the "message". Evidenced by the fact that they rarely pay attention to the flight safety demonstration regardless of whether it's a video or delivered by the CSD.

No sympathy.

30th Dec 2015, 23:11
To be fair, I think he was venting about the lack of prior notice about the banned item rather the ban on the item itself.

I bet he reads all the fine print on contracts for the movies he makes.

If I can read the requirements and determine what I can or cannot carry, a so called "celebrity" should be able to do it.

As it has been stated before, "social media" has spread the word far and wide, as with the two mutts that some other "celebrity" "alleged" to have smuggled into the country.

Now all the airlines have to do is refuse carriage at the gate for some overweight/oversize carry on baggage for a "celebrity" and the word would spread via "social media":D

Problem solved:ok:

Interested Passenger
30th Dec 2015, 23:19
yes, of course he reads the small print, before getting out his credit card and booking the flights.

or maybe a PA is looking for a new job too:8

VH-Cheer Up
30th Dec 2015, 23:30
Qantas banned these devices and had a huge amount of news coverage on 16 December. Not to have known they are a flight safety issue means you'd have to be living under a rock. Oh, wait...

Chris2303
31st Dec 2015, 00:04
Nah you Ozzies have claimed him as your own - along with Phar Lap, Pavlova and Peach Melba.

Please feel free to keep him.

BPA
31st Dec 2015, 00:42
As stated by VH-Cheer up, ain't the weeks leading up to Christmas these things were all over the news, including articles saying the airlines had banned them following numerous fires with them. There were also articles saying which states had bannned them on roads and footpaths, so he really has no excuse for not knowing they dangers with them and that the airlines had banned them.

I ran into him once at our crew hotel about 10 years ago, he was a goose back than and I see he his still a goose.

The The
31st Dec 2015, 03:03
Seriously Mr Crowe, you earn how many millions every year?

Wouldn't it have been a really nice Xmas gesture to have said to the check-in person (who would not make in a year, what you make in a day), ok you have this $500 board. I'll pick up another at the other end.:ugh:

Ollie Onion
31st Dec 2015, 06:31
I would have said to him 'now Mr Crowe, I am quite sure you have the funds and the means to somehow get these 'toys' couriered to your destination'.

Simplythebeast
31st Dec 2015, 07:01
Maximus Twatus.

zanzibar
31st Dec 2015, 09:04
"Where is your duty of responsibility in this?" the fool said.

Obviously he couldn't recognise that THAT is exactly what they were about.

However, it's a case of the rules don't apply to me because I'm famous, it seems, and I don't like to be inconvenienced.

Virgin are probably delighted he won't travel with them ever again.

YPJT
31st Dec 2015, 11:50
Just saw a video on farcebook of one of those things bursting into flames in the USA.

Spooky 2
31st Dec 2015, 14:33
This guy has along history of being a complete jerk while here in the US. Really surprising considering where he comes from. I guess Hollywood will do that to you.

pulse1
31st Dec 2015, 16:36
When I saw this headline I thought at first that Crowe had found an alternative flight:

Air India flight turns back after rat spotted on board - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35203731)

zac21
31st Dec 2015, 23:33
When I saw this headline I thought at first that Crowe had found an alternative flight:

Air India flight turns back after rat spotted on board - BBC News.

:D:D:D:D:D

Pinky the pilot
1st Jan 2016, 00:43
More's the pity that he is highly unlikely to read these pages. Otherwise he might just get an idea of how he is really seen by the average Aviation professional.:hmm:

And some others, for that matter.

Chronic Snoozer
1st Jan 2016, 00:59
I can understand someone not knowing about the ban, it doesn't necessarily mean you live under a rock. This saga kicked off when Crowe tweeted about it before thinking. Generates discussion but when you are wrong or not 100% accurate it's too late to recall the tweet. I blame misuse of social media and the rush to broadcast every thought that enters your head regardless of its merit.

tdracer
1st Jan 2016, 01:05
More's the pity that he is highly unlikely to read these pages. Otherwise he might just get an idea of how he is really seen by the average Aviation professional.:hmm:

I'm quite certain he doesn't give a :mad: what most others thinks of him. As Spookie notes, Crowe has a long standing reputation as being a total ass who happens to be a talented actor. Because of the latter, enough people forgive the former that he's been able to get away with it.

Delta_Foxtrot
1st Jan 2016, 01:08
I'm delighted he won't travel with Virgin again - far better chance now of not bumping into the **** in the lounge. :D

Hydromet
1st Jan 2016, 06:14
This guy has along history of being a complete jerk while here in the US.
More words than necessary, Spooky. You could move the full stops back to the left a few.

msbbarratt
1st Jan 2016, 06:28
Trade Treaties
Taking it out on airline staff is completely the wrong thing to do.

If he actually wants to achieve something to stop this kind of thing happening again, he should become a politician and get into a position of influence over the various world trade treaties that make cons (as these 'hover boards' have turned out to be) possible.

Crowe for PM?
I'm not sure I'd wish that on anyone...

Snakecharma
1st Jan 2016, 06:38
He obviously didn't learn from the reaction to his initial spray, he is having another crack today.

If I read his second rant correctly it suggests that he took his lithium powered time bombs on a flight with a different carrier - well that's how I read it anyway.

If that is the case did he sneak them on and not tell the check in staff he had them or did the check in staff not enforce the rules - I understand that QF has the same prohibition and I assume (as problematic as that can be) that QLINK have the same rules - is there another operator other than QLINK and VA to Coffs? I seem to recall that TT did operate Coffs Melbourne at one time, but I thought our fearless hero was trying to travel from Sydney.

Strewth
1st Jan 2016, 08:27
Big Russ could cop pokey and deportation if your right Snakecharma.

CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 246D Dangerous goods on aircraft (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s246d.html)
CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 246A Endangering safe operation of an aircraft (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s246a.html)

New Zealanders who failed Australia's 'character test' returned: Peter Dutton (http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/kiwis-who-failed-the-character-test-returned-peter-dutton-20151119-gl2vfy.html)
Vic. Crimes Act for expediency.

Nah you Ozzies have claimed him as your own - along with Phar Lap, Pavlova and Peach Melba.

Please feel free to keep him.

Some Australians might say the same regarding the country of New Zealand.

1301.0 - Year Book Australia, 1908 (http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Previousproducts/1301.0Feature%20Article2801908?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=1301.0&issue=1908&num=&view=)

cattletruck
1st Jan 2016, 09:20
Hollywood phoney vs reality check. We know how that ends.

Good on Virgin for putting safety before sh#t-for-brains.

morno
1st Jan 2016, 10:01
TT do SYD-CFS daily I think it is.

But the same rules with regards to these battery powered toys exists. Unless he took a charter flight, sounds like he's lied his way onboard.

morno

Snakecharma
1st Jan 2016, 10:22
I hope he wasn't that ignorant that he did something stupid. I would give him the benefit of the doubt initially as I would have thought that checked bag screening would have identified the offending devices if they were smuggled onboard in checked bags.

I can't imagine you would slip them through pax screening, but stranger things have happened I suppose, though having made such a song and dance about it you would think any staff dealing with him would be wary of him and his desire to cart the devices onboard.

So I would give him the benefit of the doubt unless his future rants prove me wrong :)

1st Jan 2016, 12:10
I blame misuse of social media and the rush to broadcast every thought that enters your head regardless of its merit.

From what I have seen in the twittersphere, not to many thing before they tweet.

If he is still in Coffs and presumably still has the hoverboards, how is he going to get them home considering all the publicity.

Could be an own goal:=

Flying Binghi
4th Jan 2016, 19:06
HoverBoy crowe probably didn't like the latest news...

"A family of five has had a lucky escape after a hoverboard caught fire and nearly burnt their home in Melbourne's north-west to the ground...
...It's a timely reminder. Russell Crowe got kicked off a plane because of the likelihood of these devices exploding,..."

Hoverboard ignites, causes house fire in Strathmore - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/hoverboard-ignites-causes-house-fire/7067414)

Kranky
4th Jan 2016, 20:32
The Melbourne incident is a timely reminder for those who supported Crowe in his tantrum against the airline that goods which are considered dangerous by the airline are, surprise, surprise, dangerous.
People need to remember that it's not always about them. It's way easier to prohibite carriage of dangerous items than to deal with a hold fire at 30,000 ft.

I sincerely hope that Crowe is man enough to offer an apology to the airline and then proceed to fly with them again in the future. They were after all just trying to protect him, his family and everyone else on board that day. :D:D
Just sayin'

zanzibar
4th Jan 2016, 21:38
hope that Crowe is man enough to offer an apology to the airline

I doubt it, that'd be a loss of face. And it'd no longer be "don't you know who I am".

Jetstar probably don't want him back again, anyway. Who would?

ttodd
4th Jan 2016, 22:37
As far as I know all these fires only occur when these things are being charged!

mauswara
4th Jan 2016, 22:57
Pre flt fire in the hold of a Fiji Airways 737,in Melb.not that long ago,caused by an "undeclared" box of drone batteries.Doubt they were charging at the time of ignition.

CurtainTwitcher
4th Jan 2016, 23:00
As far as I know all these fires only occur when these things are being charged!

Really...
IbR0RE-b84A

qfcabin
4th Jan 2016, 23:13
It was actually Virgin, although Jetstar has identical ban.

TWT
5th Jan 2016, 00:04
Fire risk with Li Ion batteries is while charging and when they are short circuited which can be caused by several things.It only needs one cell out of many to ignite and set off a chain reaction in the rest of the cells, a la the 787 battery debacle.

The 787 batteries and charger weren't 'cheap',so it can happen to any battery with this chemistry,especially large capacity types.

I never leave my laptop powered up overnight on my desk,and never charge any large capacity Li Ion batteries without supervision and well away from anything flammable.Small ones in mobile phones don't seem to have issues,but there may be cases out there which I'm not aware of.

Kranky
5th Jan 2016, 01:17
"Don't you know who I am?"

That reminds me of a true and funny story.
Our staff were once checking in a young, well known Australian lady. The flight was delayed or something and she started quite a performance. In her tirade she asked "Don't you know who I am?"
Well my Ramp Supervisor happened to be within hearing range and he did know who she was though for all the wrong reasons. :):) He'd seen her on video.

You see, this young lady once had allowed her then boyfriend to catch on video some of their more, shall we say, intimate moments. Trouble was they broke up, he kept the video, then proceeded to show his mates who in turn made sure it went on the Internet.

So, my Supervisor knew who she was alright. He had to leave the front counter quick smart because he couldn't contain his laughter and nor could we when he told us:O:O
True story.

Now every time I here people use that phrase I think of that story, you see, yes people do know who you are, just sometimes it's for the wrong reasons.

IsDon
5th Jan 2016, 06:48
I reckon the response to "don't you know who I am?" Should be to pick up the PA and make an announcement, something along the lines of:

"Excuse me ladies and gentlemen. It appears the agitated man/woman standing at the counter has no idea who they are. If anyone recognises them please put them, and us, out of our collective miseries and enlighten the poor individual."

Problem solved!

Fris B. Fairing
5th Jan 2016, 07:45
IsDon

There are many variations on the theme and they may be apocryphal but here is one of the better ones:

An award should go to the United Airlines gate agent in Denver for being smart and funny, and making her point, when confronted with a passenger who probably deserved to fly as cargo.

During the final days at Denver's old Stapleton airport, a crowded United flight was canceled.

A single agent was rebooking a long line of inconvenienced travelers. Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS."

The agent replied, "I'm sorry sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these folks first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "Do you have any idea who I am?"

Without hesitating, the gate agent smiled and grabbed her public address microphone.

"May I have your attention please?" she began, her voice bellowing throughout the terminal. "We have a passenger here at the gate WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to gate 17."

With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the United agent, gritted his teeth and swore "(Expletive) you."

Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to stand in line for that, too."

The man retreated as the people in the terminal applauded loudly. Although the flight was canceled and people were late, they were no longer angry at United.

Source: Do You Know Who I Am? (http://www.pcuf.fi/~pjt/pink/do-you-know-who.html)

IsDon
5th Jan 2016, 08:08
IsDon

There are many variations on the theme and they may be apocryphal but here is one of the better ones:

Never claimed it as origininal, or as an account of a factual previous occurrence.

But it's a great way to deal with those with an over inflated opinion of themselves.

Stanwell
5th Jan 2016, 08:43
One that I'd used in the past with an objectionable r-sole who'd used up all my patience:

"No, I'm sorry, I don't..
But.... I do know WHAT you are."

Boe787
5th Jan 2016, 20:37
Another response to the tirade, " dont you know who i am"

Was, no i dont, " do you know who I am!"

Ancient Mariner
6th Jan 2016, 09:56
Fire risk with Li Ion batteries is while charging and when they are short circuited which can be caused by several things.It only needs one cell out of many to ignite and set off a chain reaction in the rest of the cells, a la the 787 battery debacle.

The 787 batteries and charger weren't 'cheap',so it can happen to any battery with this chemistry,especially large capacity types.

I never leave my laptop powered up overnight on my desk,and never charge any large capacity Li Ion batteries without supervision and well away from anything flammable.Small ones in mobile phones don't seem to have issues,but there may be cases out there which I'm not aware of.
Li Ion batteries will go bang while in storage too. I had one for a high end EBIRP to that in my office in Singapore, a brand new one at that.
The smell stuck for months and the soot had to be painted over.
Scary stuff.
Per

illusion
7th Jan 2016, 09:53
Russ was born in UN ZUD wasn't he?

Explains a lot..........:ugh:

VH-Cheer Up
8th Jan 2016, 02:50
Even Ben Sandilands has stepped in on this issue (and very wisely, too): Hoverboard burns down house near airport | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2016/01/05/hoverboard-burns-down-house-near-airport/)

9th Jan 2016, 06:14
large capacity Li Ion batteries

What are large capacity Li Ion batteries made of?

A heap of very small ones, each of which can go "bang"

Kinda like an atomic chain reaction.

TTY
10th Jan 2016, 21:58
"don't you know who I am?" Had the same thing from his old man a few years back, acarrier would not take his farm machinery parts because he would only give a post box address, so out comes the "do you know who I,am" yes your Mr Crowe, well do you know who my son Russel is? Yes I known Russel he's the barman down at the Jetty pub,end of phone call.

Flying Binghi
18th Jan 2016, 00:17
Hmmm... seems crow ain't just a muppet, He's a hypocritical muppet..:hmm:

"...if you don't want to see climate change as a real thing, then I think that's being a little irresponsible."

Them global warming nutters go on about how air travel is BAD for the climate, and here's crow flitting about the planet for no reason.

Noah Premiere: Crowe Condemns Climate Critics (http://news.sky.com/story/1234984/noah-premiere-crowe-condemns-climate-critics)

zanthrus
18th Jan 2016, 06:42
Why are we all still talking about this F$&Kwit?
We all know Russell is a muppet, wan&er, waste of space etc oh and Arsehat to boot. :mad:

27/09
18th Jan 2016, 07:44
Why is it that because someone has a high profile, be it an actor, sportsperson, pop star they think they know it all.

It will be interesting in a hundred years or so to see what is being said then about climate change.

There's been plenty of predictions by so called smart people that have been proven wrong.

Like:

The head of IBM - who in 1943 predicted there will only be a world market for 5 computers

The Y2K Bug

The days of sub $100/barrell will never be seen again

Stanwell
18th Jan 2016, 08:07
Hmm - but Rusty ain't all that smart, from my observations, anyway.

(Now that I've said that, he's probably going to want to see me out the back.)

27/09
18th Jan 2016, 08:36
IIRC Rusty got his beans in the loo of a London restaurant from Eric Watson (owner of the Warriors Rugby League club).

Good coverage here. Crowe's racist insult lead to punch-up - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/16/1037080962180.html)

I must admit it's about the only good thing Waston ever did, especially if you ask those who got burnt by Hanover Finance.

wooski
18th Jan 2016, 11:21
27/09 The Y2K Bug
this one is always can be seen on both sides of the coin
Was the y2k not a big deal as there was so much prepwork thrown into it ? or because it wasn't a problem ?
i know some systems that didn't like the date flip (heck there are even some systems that didn't handle the GPS rollover a few months back)
the next one will be year 2038 , when epoch rolls over...
just think how many systems will be in place by 2038
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem