PDA

View Full Version : YoWindow problem!

BEagle
29th Dec 2015, 22:03
If anyone is wondering why the popular YoWindow weather application isn't working correctly today (29 Dec 2015) on a Windows7 PC, it's because Adobe has made a change to Flash Player.

The latest version of Flash Player is 20.0.0.267 and YoWindow is unable to run with this version.

Thank you so much, Adobe. First you launched the wretched Acrobat DC thing, now this.....:mad:

Edit: I gather that FP 20.0.0.267 is causing problems with several other Active X applications too....

par128
30th Dec 2015, 12:22
YoWindow author is here.

Adobe has fixed the problem in the next BETA version of Flash Player.
Unfortunately, I don't know when they are going to release the update.

However, you can workaround the problem by installing the Flash Player BETA.
Here's how.
1. Uninstall the current Flash Player for Internet Explorer.
Download Flash Player uninstaller.
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/l ... player.exe
And run it.

2. Download Flash Player BETA for Internet Explorer.
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/l ... yer_ax.exe
And install it.

YoWindow should work just fine.

Pasha

BEagle
30th Dec 2015, 18:31
Привет Паша! Let's hope that Adobe corrects the problem soon.

YoWindow is an excellent program, which gives a superb pictorial indication of the surface weather situation at thousands of user-selected sites.

ExRAFRadar
1st Jan 2016, 21:56
What a great app. Good call. :D

BEagle
2nd Jan 2016, 10:06
Adobe has now released a fix for Win7 - Flash Player V 20.0.0.270 for ActiveX applications.

So I have YoWindow back on my main system....:ok:

Microsoft will hopefully release another Win10 update soon, as the most recent one (for embedded Flash Player) blocks YoWindow on Win10 systems.

Coffin Dodger
4th Jan 2016, 09:58
What a good app YoWindows is. Thanks for the heads-up Beagle.

Re Windows 10 updates. I first loaded W10 on an older W7 laptop in September and ran with it for two months until I got used to it. All fine. I then 'accepted it' onto newer W8.1 laptop and that was fine as well, although there were subtle differences between W10 on both.

On the morning of 2nd Jan, older lappy announces it is going to install updates in 10 minutes - wait, or install now. Accepted 'now' and after a frozen blue screen with no hard drive activity for 45 minutes saying 'installing updates, do not switch off your PC' and with a completely frozen machine, I did a hard reset. On boot-up it then proceeded to re-install W10 from scratch. 1 hour 50 mins later I had exactly the same W10 on both computers with no issues, other than a few expletives about Microsoft. :ugh:

Whether or not this was due to my impatience I'm not sure. I was expecting a patch to be installed as you do, and with absolutely no hard-drive activity I felt sure it had locked up. You live and learn I suppose and clearly they're still tweaking W10.

BEagle
4th Jan 2016, 11:43
Some Win10 updates can indeed take an absolute age, particularly if there are a lot and you click 'install now'!

I've found it's best just to let Win10 update itself as it sees fit. If a computer restart is needed, they'll usually schedule that for 0-dark-hundred.

I seem to have more software freezes than before the last set of updates - but again you have to wait for Win10 to do its own auto-defrag...:hmm:

BEagle
5th Jan 2016, 19:50
Microsoft has now released KB3133431 which should download automatically to Win10 systems - it has fixed the 'black screen' issue with YoWindow.

I now have YoWindow V4.0.66 running just fine on both Win7 and Win10 systems....:ok: