PDA

View Full Version : European Union bid to ditch co-pilots on airliners

ersa
29th Dec 2015, 07:19
Says it all really

EU's bid to ditch co-pilots on airliners 'could put planes at risk' | Politics | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/629970/European-Union-ditch-co-pilots-on-airliners-planes-risk)

Martin_123
29th Dec 2015, 11:05
I see a lot of yellow press circulating this story however I can't find any reliable information, not even a quote that would confirm what these articles are saying. What's the source of the information? How does it come to life in the holiday season when no decisions or meetings are being held at EU? Any reliable information about ACROSS has no mention of getting rid of a co-pilot.

paco
29th Dec 2015, 14:18
After Greenwings? They haven't been talking to Mr O'Leary have they?

phil

RexBanner
29th Dec 2015, 17:02
Yep we now cannot be trusted to be alone in the flightdeck for five minutes without being babysat by a member of cabin crew thanks to Herr Lubitz and yet the entire future of the industry is now predicated on a single pilot for the duration of the flight? Yeah good luck figuring that one out, I can't either.

this is my username
29th Dec 2015, 17:30
Objectives | Across (http://www.across-fp7.eu/objectives/#)

ACROSS WILL IDENTIFY ASPECTS THAT CURRENTLY PREVENT THE REDUCTION OF THE CREW TO A SINGLE PILOT.

Single-pilot operations in all conditions are considered a long-term evolution that is not in the scope of ACROSS research & technology developments.

The ACROSS consortium considers single-pilot operations as a case study that stimulates innovation and facilitates the identification of solutions that could be used to improve the current safety level in situations of peak workload and reduced crew. Conversely,any solutions developed to manage peak workload and reduced crew situations may be considered for possible single pilot operations in the future.

I think the journo's version is much more fun than the truth!

flyingmed
29th Dec 2015, 23:18
Didnt know they worked with the onion news! :E

TowerDog
30th Dec 2015, 01:26
Ask the pax if they would rather save $3 per ticket to have a pilot fly solo up there and gamble he or she will not get sick or die during the journey.
The insurance companies may also have a vote.

That being said, the Korean 777 in SFO had 3 pilots up front on a good day and none of them could figure out the auto-flight system, monitor pitch/power/glide slope or look out the window.
Not sure a single pilot would be any safer, but probably could not be worse either. :sad:

6000PIC
30th Dec 2015, 03:18
Shouldn`t the European Commission be busy " Governing " ?