PDA

View Full Version : RAF Leeming Meteor NF11 and Javelin

langleybaston
27th Dec 2015, 17:53
I have a distinct memory of looking after weather forecasts for both these types at Leeming some time from April 1964 but internet searches suggest that they had long gone. I even seem to remember piston Provosts.

Reassure me please that I was not issuing F2408 to ghosts?

Anyway, the airfield mushrooms were real enough, even if psychedelic!

I am absolutely sure we had Javelins at RAF Nicosia, whether resident or visitors, 1961-64.

kenparry
27th Dec 2015, 18:02
The Javelin conversion school, 228 OCU, closed sometime in early 1961 and was followed by 3 FTS, with the JP. I was on the second JP course there - we started at the beginning of December, some 2-3 months after No 1 Course. To the best of my knowledge there were no Piston Provosts at 3 FTS Leeming even at the start. So - there were no Javelins there by 1964.

As an aside, their Airships soon found that the OCU had been closed prematurely, and there was a need for more crew training. After some false starts, a Javelin training flight (formal title not known to me) started at Leuchars in about 1965 and ran for a year or two.

NRU74
27th Dec 2015, 18:23
Only last Sunday I was at a 75th birthday/40th Wedding Anniversary do of an old school friend and we were recounting to his son in law (now an Ezy Captain) our first jet experiences as CCF cadets in the back of a Meteor NF12 at Leeming in c 1958.(He was polite enough to listen without yawning but I did note his eyelids drooped a bit at one stage) !

langleybaston
27th Dec 2015, 19:17
Thanks both so; no Javelins, but what about the flying greenhouse NF Meteor please?

Pontius Navigator
27th Dec 2015, 19:28
LB, in 1963 the NF14 were at 1 ANS at Stradishall. We did diversion exercises so some may have used Leeming.