PDA

View Full Version : Right hand seat endorsement?

Squawk7700
23rd Dec 2015, 06:09
An instructor was telling me today that the implementation of this "endorsement" is imminent.

Does anyone know if this is the case and is it a seperate action versus something that is due to come in with the next set of rules etc... whenever that may be....?

Yeah I know about the whole, "unless the POH says that the left seat is the command seat" but this goes above this.

Aussie Bob
23rd Dec 2015, 08:26
Never heard of it and I am an instructor. That said, some stuff does pass me by. Just ask Mrs Bob.

Ultralights
23rd Dec 2015, 22:21
i have never heard of it.. but the question begs, if it ever does, (and i hope it never will) will you need it to fly in the RH seat if the aircraft has identical dual controls?

Clare Prop
24th Dec 2015, 01:01
There is no such thing.

Just another imaginary endorsement for revenue raising.

Mach E Avelli
24th Dec 2015, 02:39
I can not speak for light aircraft endorsements but in the above 5700 kg category, a pilot can do a type rating in either seat under CASA rules (or in this case lack of a specific rule) though in FAA land it is usually done in the LHS. Here the ATPL flight test can also be done in either seat...at least that was the policy some examiners got from a recent CASA briefing on the subject.
Would doing a type rating in one seat limit a pilot to that seat? Probably, as any operator of aircraft crewed by two pilots is likely to have a CASA 'approved' check and training manual which should state how much training is required to swap seats. Corporate and private operators may not be required to have any hard policies in any manuals, but they still would need to consider insurance implications if something went pear shaped with pilots sitting in seats that they were never trained in.
But a RHS 'endorsement' is probably a figment of someone's imagination or on some tosser's wishlist to add more rules. Just how much more nanny state do we need?

Squawk7700
24th Dec 2015, 06:56
I'm beginning to that this particular flying school mob is full of it. Sounds too far fetched as I first thought.

greybeard
24th Dec 2015, 07:27
I am old enough to have 2nd class endorsements on my "real" licence, which was for Right hand seats only in the bad old days when the Companies actually owned your Senior Commercial/Commercial

You needed an ATPL to get into the LHS.

The 1989 situation changed all that and pilots got to "own" their ATPLs, needing only an instrument renewal to be "current".

Regrettably one place I am glad NOT to be is in my old trade of Aviation, what a cluster fumble you who are still in it have allowed it to become.
Balls are needed, to rescue what you can.

:\