PDA

View Full Version : If you'd like to swap DESDI for LAM...

Calmcavok
18th Dec 2015, 16:46
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/british-airways-longhaul-pilot-recruitment-seminar-dubai-tickets-20018982315?aff=es2

Monarch Man
18th Dec 2015, 16:53
I'm sorely tempted to copy and paste this link and email it to a few bods on the 3rd floor.
I wonder should someone email it to our new recruiting guy? Maybe with the line "I'm recommending all my mates go to this" :E
What's the bet that all of a sudden the 200-300 guys/girls off in DXB on the date get an airport stby?

harry the cod
18th Dec 2015, 17:18
Perhaps I should really through some fuel on the fire.

The most junior BA short haul command at LGW in 2 years from now.....hasn't even joined the Company yet. :D

Oh yes, people will leave alright. And why not.

Harry

ExDubai
18th Dec 2015, 17:30
A BA pilot roadshow in Dubai..... I would love to see the face of a couple of guys when the read the announcement.

A320CaptDav
18th Dec 2015, 18:00
Well Ek has been having roadshows in every shire of the UK its only natural for the EMPIRE to STRIKE BACK !

ExDubai
18th Dec 2015, 18:21
Well Ek has been having roadshows in every shire of the UK its only natural for the EMPIRE to STRIKE BACK !

I know, will watch now "Darth Willie" against "Tim Skywalker"..... :}

sluggums
18th Dec 2015, 18:30
More like Wanky Knoby and Hand Job Solo...

Eau de Boeing
18th Dec 2015, 18:38
Well A New Hope would be quite appropriate right now wouldn't it?

Maybe it will lead the Farce to awaken!

Capt. Flamingo
19th Dec 2015, 02:32
Make sure to take your APC card because the debrief will be held at rock bottom

lospilotos
19th Dec 2015, 02:45
Is the road show info to be found on any official BA website?

Ride On
19th Dec 2015, 03:12
When you run out of Lubricant, use the FORCE Luke........!

Fire Ball XL5
19th Dec 2015, 03:21
MEMO from Fleet:

Due unforeseen circumstances, rosters will be published late this month as we will now undertake the task of manually inserting flights for all UK passport holders for the 7th of January.

Thank you for your understanding and support! :\:}:}:8

lospilotos
19th Dec 2015, 03:37
There is also the 8th and 9th...

Buckshot16
20th Dec 2015, 01:54
Certified or Self Certified ... your choice.

White Sausage
20th Dec 2015, 12:46
This might be a silly question (probably it is...) but are they only looking for FO's or also for DEC's?

Eau de Boeing
20th Dec 2015, 12:56
WS they are looking for FO's for long haul.

The DEC thing seems to be a bit of an urban myth at the moment, if they do offer it in the near future it will be for short haul, prob LGW base.

Will be interesting to see what they say.

White Sausage
20th Dec 2015, 13:03
Thank you, I thought so. If they'd offer DEC, preferably long haul, EK would be dead within a month or so... Wishful thinking, I know, but I keep on dreaming ;)

FL3
20th Dec 2015, 18:33
and there is nothing in BA website?...strange...

Payscale
21st Dec 2015, 03:39
....and not one BA logo on the invite. I think someone is getting your hopes high. Thats cruel...

Eau de Boeing
21st Dec 2015, 04:15
Relax......

Apparently the site and event are in exactly the same format as the previous ones they did in the UK (allegedly).

If you know names in BA recruitment you will also be able to see their posts on Linkedin publishing this too (allegedly).

As I said before, they are only looking for FO's at the present time for Long Haul. That does not mean that in the near future they will not be looking for captains, but they will def be on short haul and probably LGW base.

Good to see this is another job that the useless A380 rating excludes me from eh Nolimits.... :ok:

FFbubus
21st Dec 2015, 18:00
The link is actually on BA website, once you've clicked on "apply now", just follow the link for Glasgow, Edinburgh roadshows and you'll find the Dubai ones.

British Airways - Careers - Job Details (http://gs11.globalsuccessor.com/fe/tpl_ba01.asp?newms=jj&id=61085&aid=16337)

The Turtle
23rd Dec 2015, 12:28
excellent. Please someone with an upcoming washup pls mention this.....I'd be interested in hearing the spin.

Panther 88
23rd Dec 2015, 16:29
Wrong venue. They should rent out the Trade Centre.

Wear the Fox Hat
23rd Dec 2015, 17:16
Funnily, just heard that registrations are closed with over 390 pilots booked to attend! Should have run a week of roadshows...

Emma Royds
24th Dec 2015, 03:37
Due to the high demand, they have created additional seminars on the 8th and the 9th as well.

Wear the Fox Hat
24th Dec 2015, 04:59
[QUOTE] Due to the high demand, they have created additional seminars on the 8th and the 9th as well. /QUOTE]

Emma....do you have a link as such? Have tried looking but can't find anything, I'm sure it'll be well used :rolleyes:

aussiefarmer
24th Dec 2015, 05:11
Seems like certain timings are already sold out :ugh:

Follow the link below and once on the event page, check the bottom of the page for alternative days / timings.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/british-airways-longhaul-pilot-recruitment-seminar-dubai-tickets-20018982315?aff=es2

And YES, this is an official seminar, for those who had doubts about it. BA has publicly announced they will be hiring 300+ pilots in 2016.

Good luck everyone!

Cheers

Rotating Bacon
24th Dec 2015, 05:20
I will be pressing 2 that day

TCU LUX
24th Dec 2015, 11:13
Thanks Aussie,

Just booked a slot @ 1200-1500 on 8th by following your link.

Not many spaces left so hurry.

This is going to really hurt EK :ok:

Pilot_Recruit
6th Jan 2016, 05:52
Is there more than one Park Regis in Dubai? The map on their event page makes it seem it's along SZR near Dubai Mall, but google keeps sending me to the Park Regis Kris Kin in Karama.

Appears to be sold out. If anything this may get someone in the bouncy castle to pull their finger out and actually do something about this...

Xulu
6th Jan 2016, 12:00
I don't know, but it could well be the Kris Kin Park Regis as that's where the BA crew stay in Dubai.

junglie-driver
6th Jan 2016, 14:54
email the BA recruitment contact directly. He said they are over subscribed, however he would endeavour accommodate extra interested parties. See you there....

jack schidt
6th Jan 2016, 15:41
Good luck and happy hunting to all those who attend with aspirations of returniing home to the first world (or close to it).

Home is not where you receive a text to "welcome you home" and yet you need a visa to live there.

An airline that gives the pilots more hope of a relationship with the management and an understanding of each other's concerns, without just changing contract specifics (workforce negative) without negotiation must be worth a look at.

I am not going to the seminars but I sincerely hope those that go get what they want from it and it is quite possible that BA could recruit all its 2016 intake from the ME.

j

harry the cod
6th Jan 2016, 16:01
Jack

For those that are suitably qualified, a short haul command at either LGW or LHR within 12 months of joining is a real possibility. That would certainly make it an attractive proposition for many here with others preferring perhaps the more sedate lifestyle that long haul at BA can offer.

Either way, however, I doubt BA will get anywhere near the numbers that either they or many on these forums allude to. Whilst there will be genuine applicants attending these roadshows, many will stay. I'll be surprised if EK lose anymore than 30 pilots at the very most over the next year or so despite the ridiculous hours we're pushing each and every month now.

Harry

Trader
6th Jan 2016, 16:22
Can't agree Harry! While in the past many have complained and aid they were 'looking' I have NEVER seen so may unhappy people seriously looking at options.

I know 3 who have resigned in the last 2 weeks and 4 more who will be out by November. That is 7 out of your 30 number.

I had never considered leaving and am now watching options closely. Not ready to jump hastily - but ready for when the right job comes around.

I suspect there are many who will be leaving and and even larger number, like me, who are open minded about leaving.

Unless they drop the hours to 80/month as it was previously and is the industry standard people will leave.

BANANASBANANAS
6th Jan 2016, 17:58
It does seem to be happening. One of my very recent flights was the FO's last flight with EK, the Purser had 2 months to go and several of the cabin crew were also working their notice.

Emma Royds
6th Jan 2016, 20:49
What is interesting about BA visiting Dubai is that I personally know more pilots from continental Europe who are attending the seminars than Brits themselves.

harry the cod
7th Jan 2016, 05:09
Trader

That's a total of 30 leaving for BA, not 30 leaving in total. :ok:

Harry

White Knight
7th Jan 2016, 05:27
If you want to go and live in the UK then BA will suit some - but the short haul lifestyle there is hard work. Just take a gander at the BA threads running in 'Terms and Endearment' at the moment:D

Long haul fine but forget a command in those fleets for a long long time!

Panther 88
7th Jan 2016, 10:25
WK. "Short haul flying there is a lot of hard work"? C'mon man! As opposed to what most of us do here.....short haul, medium haul, long haul, ultra long haul, over up to 12 time zone changes, with MINIMUM time off, month in and month out, without credit for ground schools, online training, manual handling sims or PPC two day sims.

But on second thought, you're right. Tough European airports with modern ATC and within two maybe three time zone changes (with a few exceptions of course). Who would want to do that? Where's the professional challenges in that? And of course with grievance procedures in place, where's that challenge? And the challenges of living a healthy lifestyle....again boring. :ok:

harry the cod
7th Jan 2016, 11:31
Panther88

It's horses for courses matey. WK is only highlighting what many may forget and only realise when it's too late. Why do you think the short haul command time is so quick? It's because many are leaving SH for LH and some even giving up commands to go right seat B777/747/380. Doing 5 days in a row commute into work for 3-4 sector days, ****ty weather, tight turns and obtrusive 55 year old cabin crew with better contractual hours than the pilots might become tiresome after a while. As will be the pitiful £2.70 an hour flight pay! Then there's the thorny issue of where to live? Inside the M25 corridor must be a consideration for short haul and that's going to cost you in housing...big time! Living outside is certainly possible but at least an hour there and back every day as you'll be driving in near to rush hour most occasions. Don't forget to allow for finding a parking space then bus to terminal 5 then a nice train and walk to the aircraft itself. As for grievance procedures, would that really be a reason to leave if you've never had to face the wrath of fleet? If you do your job right, can't see why it would even be a factor.

It will work for some, no doubt about it, but this could well be a classic case of grass being greener and people really need to way up the options and long term benefits before they jump ship. The current work rate here is unsustainable for sure as is the policy of throwing in increased hours during our leave months and not allowing credit for sim and other duties. However, BA is not without it's own issues and is certainly NOT the Company it was 20 years ago. Even 747 guys are pushing 90 hours some months. Finally, salary. After tax and NI has taken a chunk from your hard earned basic, and 1% for the Union, you'll be left with far less than you'd hoped for. They pay well but compared to a take home salary here? Not even close. A 25 year seniority guy, currently TRE on B747 takes home around £9500 after deductions. A normal line captain with 9 years command using housing allowance will clear several grand more than that every month. Add in education allowance if they wanted to send the kids to UK boarding school and the numbers become even more preferable here.

As I said before, I'll be surprised if any more than 30 leave here to go to BA within the next 12 months. I'm not defending staying here, merely trying to highlight that it might not be the golden ticket many seek. Hopefully the BA recruitment team will be able to give a fuller picture to those attending.

Either way, good luck to all in your future decisions.

Harry

VLS with ice
7th Jan 2016, 22:55
So?
Down route myself, was expecting some comments from people who attended by now? Or did you all end up in rock bottom afterward?

Basic Service
8th Jan 2016, 13:06
Ok, so I went along and listened to what was on offer. Quite a wide range of experience in the room, but pretty soon became apparent that they are after the young blades.

Started off with a nice chumley warner chat about the difference between the middle east and the UK. Might have been useful for anyone who has never been to the UK, but was largely pointless for most in the room. Then progressed onto a run through the fleets and rosters, followed by the pay and staff travel.

It's F/O positions only and you go in at year one pay along with the spotty 18 year olds. They are offering about £4000-4500 / month after tax (including flight pay ). The T's and C's are pretty impressive as you might expect, in particular the control you have over your roster and therefore your life. Even as a junior F/O you can manage your roster ( especially long haul ) so that you work when you want to, even to the extent that its possible to have as much as 35 days off in a row if you play it right. Obviously you would have to build up a credit of worked hours to do this but auto trip swaps, overtime and leave are all easily managed on line with no need to contact crewing.

Most of the BA recruitment team where very nice open down to earth people, there was one knob who just had to remind us that the success rate is only 10%, " we don't take anyone ". He also managed to look completely surprised to be asked if BA would be flying successful applicants to London for the tests and interviews. ( the answer was no ). Also, there is absolutely no credit given to previous experience as far as your entry pay (and ) I imagine bond is concerned. You will do a short course type rating if already flying any Airbus or the 777.

Apparently there is a holding pool already but experienced bods will bypass it. Short haul minibus commands are up for grabs within 3 years of joining.

So, in summary, if you are happy to be dialled back to zero but want to be treated with a bit of respect and retake control of your life, go for it.

For us crusties, ( and I was not expecting anything else ) its a no go unless you really have had enough and can take a 70% pay cut.

Good luck to all.
BS:ok:

glofish
8th Jan 2016, 14:44
The pay might look as a cut, but the years of life you will save are priceless.
And .....

a bit of respect and retake control of your life

It's called dignity

That's exactly what i miss in my FO's eyes at EK. All i see is humiliation.
That's what gives them the kick in the bounty castle!

If i had the age, i'd be out right away. :{

You rock
8th Jan 2016, 15:57
How old is too old

The pay might look as a cut, but the years of life you will save are priceless.
And .....

It's called dignity

That's exactly what i miss in my FO's eyes at EK. All i see is humiliation.
That's what gives them the kick in the bounty castle!

If i had the age, i'd be out right away. :{

BANANASBANANAS
8th Jan 2016, 18:17
I got an email from BA responding to exactly that question. They are interested in pilots up to age 58 (fifty eight).

If you want a Direct Command BA City Flyer are now advertising for Captains on the E135 based at London City.

Carnage Matey!
8th Jan 2016, 21:35
The T's and C's are pretty impressive as you might expect, in particular the control you have over your roster and therefore your life. Even as a junior F/O you can manage your roster ( especially long haul ) so that you work when you want to, even to the extent that its possible to have as much as 35 days off in a row if you play it right. Obviously you would have to build up a credit of worked hours to do this but auto trip swaps, overtime and leave are all easily managed on line with no need to contact crewing.

A slightly rose tinted version from the recruitment team. Thanks to EASA FTLs, Roster Assign, 'Closed' days and Bidline alleviations pretty much everything in that paragraph is ancient history. As a junior FO you'll work when the company wants you to work, which will be every weekend, and you won't be able to swap those trips to weekday trips (or any other) because the company have restricted the software swap functionality. You'll need to contact crewing for anything other than direct swaps between crew members and don't expect anyone to answer the phone. Same goes for leave swaps/changes. You can't build up any credited hours until you're senior enough to get a trip line (plan on 5 years in long haul), and then you can't cash them in because if you leave a big enough gap the company will Roster Assign a trip in there for you. You can however cash those hours in by dropping a trip and picking it straight up at overtime at about 87% of your normal hourly rate.

Still, at least it's in the UK.

PS There are no bonds. Short haul minibus commands will only be three years at LGW, there won't be a repeat of this years junior LHR anomaly as all the people who thought there was no point in bidding for it now know otherwise

Eau de Boeing
9th Jan 2016, 05:15
Thanks Carnage.

Good to see that it's not only the EK recruitment team that can put positive spin on things.

bigdaviet
9th Jan 2016, 05:59
Sounds like

a) if you're young enough and the time to command doesn't bother you

or

b) If you want to live near Gatwick and work short haul

its a no brainer.

Otherwise you have to be pretty desperate to leave the ME to consider this, given the pay cut, time to command and the bad rosters for the first 5 years at least.

Having said that there are plenty of people who do seem pretty desperate.

bluelearjetdriver
9th Jan 2016, 07:19
To put another perspective on it, £4500-00 per month = AED 25,000-00 (approx.) per month......... then you have to pay more tax, rent, drive, eat and play, and the U.K. isn't cheap.

keepitrealok
9th Jan 2016, 07:28
.... and the bad rosters for the first 5 years at least.

:=

Those who have flown for a Major know this isn't necessarily the case. It all depends on timing.

If you join at a time and have a lot of new joiners after you then very quickly your 'relative seniority' increases and you can bid and get what you want - weekends off, trips etc.

If however you join at the end of the pack then recruiting stops then that is the case.

And yes, bidding and getting 4 weeks off of purely XX days can and does occur in the LH system.

Otherwise you have to be pretty desperate to leave the ME to consider this, given the pay cut, time to command and the bad rosters for the first 5 years at least.

As opposed to the super fast CMDs in EK now (you join now you are looking at 8+ years in a company that doesn't want you longer than 7-10years, in a country that despite all the promotion is very much Third World) and the absolutely outstanding rostering in the Middle East?

Keep drinking the Koolaid bigdaviet

AlanPardew
9th Jan 2016, 08:21
To put another perspective on it, £4500-00 per month = AED 25,000-00 (approx.) per month......... then you have to pay more tax, rent, drive, eat and play, and the U.K. isn't cheap.

The £4500 is net, so there's no 'more tax' on that figure

Rent/mortgage is dramatically less than that in Dubai; for what you're paying £3k/mth in Dubai you'd pay £1k/mth in South London. So even though FO to FO looks like a 50% pay cut on paper, the gap in disposable income quickly narrows after housing costs

Drive - yes petrol is a lot more expensive in the UK, however the 5x increase in cost is, in my opinion, healthy balanced out by the 5x safer roads and drivers who know how to use lanes properly

Eat and play - I can't think of one thing that isn't at least 1/3 cheaper

Yes the UK isn't the cheapest place to live, but it's certainly more affordable than Dubai and when you go through costing, the pay leaves you about the same to spend on eating and playing as you put it.
And if you don't want to live in London, move to Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Holland etc etc and commute which is easy to do on a long haul fleet

There will be a huge amount of pilots applying, good luck to them and we can only hope this is the final straw for EK management to sit up and listen.

The biggest pull factor BA has for me is you can live near to Selhurst Park and watch the best standard of football in England.

Alan

RexBanner
9th Jan 2016, 09:09
Alan as an alternative you can hop on to the underground to Upton Park (and in the near future Stratford) and watch a little genius by the name of Dimitri Payet ;-)

AlanPardew
9th Jan 2016, 09:13
I have been watching West Ham a lot recently, monitoring your Nobles, your Carrolls even Ginger Collins in case I get the England job before the Euro's and have to prepare for Wales.

Now back to aviation before we're warned we're on guard mate

Alan

Kapitanleutnant
9th Jan 2016, 09:21
You guys ever heard the word, "Intangible"?

There are some things regards to getting away from the ME that you can't really put a pound/euro/dollar figure on.... like having a simple lifestyle that certainly EK does not really allow most pilot to have the way you'd have one in the UK at BA, nor the protections of both gov't laws and labour laws, of which the UAE generally lacks compared to the UK. No matter the salary at BA, how does one put a price tag on those factors? You simply can't.

It's not just about "if you like flying shorthaul out of LGW, its a no brainer". Far, far more than that!

I have to agree with the comment about someone drinking the cool-aid. Wow... Maybe that person is stuck at EK with no chance to go anywhere and is forced to drink that foul tasting cool-aid. I don't know....

Leaving the ME to another position whether it be flying, non-flying or retirement is an enlightening feeling. After less than a month with a current employer, it is simply shocking to me what i had put up with for so long... it truly did feel like being released.... and I come back to the ME section here on occasion to see that it's actually gotten worse.

Everyone has a different level of tolerance and mine was crossed last year so time to move on. EK shelf life is, as one mentioned 7-10... if you can last that long with your health.

A good friend of mine on the 380 told me he was flying something like 96 hours or some such, "but they were good destinations". Well, after time, the destinations are insignificant to the level of flying those 96 hours each and every month.

Others have said before and I'll reiterate... There really is life after EK... and it truly can be a breath of fresh air.

K

Eau de Boeing
9th Jan 2016, 09:32
And watching Palace is good for your health?!
:D

Never forgotten Par-judas

U RZZZZZZZ!

SkyRocket10
9th Jan 2016, 11:11
And watching Palace is good for your health?!
:D

Never forgotten Par-judas

U RZZZZZZZ!

A lot of spin in my opinion!

4K is a realistic Y1 take home salary. You will only reach 4.5k with no pension contributions and some overtime.

SH commands have come down, but as they said, expect a 3yr + wait as the senior guys start to bid back. Seniority is king!
In addition, if you are assigned a LH fleet you will be engagement frozen for a minimum of 5yrs and therefore unable to successfully bid for a SH command. The company will always prioritise right to left. If you want a quick command, you will have to join on SH Airbus.

Roster control is pretty much gone with the introduction of EASA, just ask those who have just had their first EASA trip line wiped. As a junior pilot life will be very tough!
If you want 35days off consecutively, good luck!
Seconds thoughts, there is the option of becoming a rep (trip line 0) and enjoying the bidding perks that way. At least one regularly enjoys this level of time off. 🙃

fliion
9th Jan 2016, 12:08
Alan

Comparing housing is not apples to apples. EK pay for the housing. Housing with BA is out of your after taxed pocket...further decreasing buying power.

Calmcavok
9th Jan 2016, 13:18
Rent/mortgage is dramatically less than that in Dubai; for what you're paying £3k/mth in Dubai you'd pay £1k/mth in South London. So even though FO to FO looks like a 50% pay cut on paper, the gap in disposable income quickly narrows after housing costs

Housing (mortgage) costs in nice, non-Selhurst Parky, areas of London haven't been that low in 7-10 years. Not unless you're after a small flat or have a huge deposit for the mortgage.

BigGeordie
9th Jan 2016, 15:15
Can we please ditch the myth of free housing at Emirates. If you aren't in company housing they pay you an allowance of about 14k for an F/O and 16k for a Captain. THAT is what your free housing is costing you every month.

It is Emirates. Nothing is free.

anson harris
9th Jan 2016, 16:00
In addition, if you are assigned a LH fleet you will be engagement frozen for a minimum of 5yrs and therefore unable to successfully bid for a SH command.

Untrue if you were bidding for SH Command in the last annual bid. Type freezes were lifted for certain fleets. A 1 year 747 FO who bid for Airbus Command at LHR or LGW in the last bid would have got it (assuming that they met the minimum requirements in terms of flying hours).

All I can say to you guys, as someone that has moved from EK to BA, is that yes, I earn less but I honestly couldn't give a monkeys. I've got a normal life in a civilised, fair country again. I have days off, I have a social life again, I see my family & my friends and I don't feel like I am being robbed by my employer on a daily basis. Most of all I am genuinely home and am being true to myself, rather than pretending I like the sorry excuse for a life that I was leading.

777-200LR
9th Jan 2016, 16:18
anson harris,

Congrats on your move back 'to a civilised and fair' country. Could you kindly elaborate more on the being robbed by your employer on a daily basis bit.

fliion
9th Jan 2016, 17:14
I think Don's got this covered.

SMT Member
9th Jan 2016, 19:44
One's a democratic nation in the most developed part of the world, rich in culture, history and geography. The other's a desert run by a dictator, high on bling and pop but non-existent in substance, beholden only to the almighty dollar.

I know where I'd rather live.

keepitrealok
10th Jan 2016, 03:17
777-200LR,

-Sign on & off times.

-Published Block Times vs Real Block Times.

-Productivity. (You know: when you get 14 days AL and still work 70hrs for NO productivity.)

-Zero Credit for training days. (You know: when you do your PPC (3 days) and CRM or SEPs in the same month and still fly 84hrs for NO productivity.)

They are just 4 from a list that is about quadruple. But here's the biggest thing stolen from me: the ability to function and be 'present' when at home with my family. That is gone. Every pilot and cabin crew member (& engineer too I guess) in this place - whether they realise it or not - is fatigued and living in a state of constant malaise. 'Being tired' has a whole new definition. People can deny it all they want when they try to justify their Command or flying a 330/777/380. It's a simple fact: nobody here functions anywhere near like a person should, and is entitled to.

So on a daily basis my employer is stealing my Quality of Life. The first 4 things I listed are disgraceful. The last is unforgivable. Hence why I and many others are leaving.

bringbackthe80s
10th Jan 2016, 05:58
Guys, really?
I would love to see a 777/380/340 captain (or even first officer) used to great weather 8 months per year, a nice apartment, nice restaurants, clubs, the bar at the marina, limo picking you up for work etc.. stuck in traffic on the M25 under the rain for 10 months a year on £4k a month in one of the most expensive cities on the planet. And doing 900 hrs a year.

I am not saying in any way that the middle east doesn't have its problems and that you don't work very hard..just trying to bring a little bit of balance to the topic before we get too carried away.

OnceBitten
10th Jan 2016, 08:17
Bringbackthe 80's, Please apply.

https://tas-ekgcareers.taleo.net/careersection/pilots/joblist.ftl?lang=en

Then your "balanced" view may not be so balanced when the reality sinks in once you've done some time there.

Keepitrealok is 100% on the money and only highlights some of the issues that are now seeing so many head to the exit door.

Trader
10th Jan 2016, 10:45
Wow 80's man---good to see you picked all the highlights!!! 3 out the 6 'niceties' had to do with restaurant and bars :) Can get the same at half the price anywhere in Europe or the UK. As if the quality of bars and restaurants plays any significant role in the true quality of life.

The car pickup (hardly a limo) is nice - but in most opinions nothing more than a trade off for coming to work work early, ahead of check in time.

But you have it all figured out.........

Kamelchaser
10th Jan 2016, 11:42
Ah, those will be the bars that charge over 6euros for a glass of water, and 25 euros for a cocktail. (yes, I paid that much at a snooty establishment last night..and I won't be back..what an overpriced and underwhelming experience).

Dubai was rated as the most expensive place on the planet to celebrate New Years Eve. It has become excessively expensive to live here, and the only people benefiting from it all are the ludicrously greedy landlords who keep forcing residential and commercial rents up without a moment's thought for what it's doing to the country. They simply couldn't care less as long as they can fill their coffers.

wanabee777
10th Jan 2016, 11:52
Yeah...but I still miss the Rattlesnake and the Marine Bar.

Oh...I forgot to mention Club 7.

harry the cod
10th Jan 2016, 15:02
Keepitrealok

Don't disagree with 3 of your points although the block times argument is questionable. If you and the likes of TRADER, as well as many others on here consider the report time an issue, why turn up early? Nothing to stop you clearing security then relax with a nice cuppa in Costa until around -70. Especially if you're leaving EK soon anyway, eh?

After all, where is it written we need to be there -83? Nowhere. So, to you and all the other 'silent' moaners, put your money where your mouth is and turn up 'on time'. Or are your testicles not fully developed yet? :bored: Personally, I'd rather look at the extra time briefing the crew as time far more favourable spent than finding a parking space at 5.30 on a dark winters morning followed by a bus journey with a load of long faced strangers glued to their phones.

Harry

Emma Royds
10th Jan 2016, 15:34
If you have had enough of Dubai and are only focused on a exit strategy, then BA is at present as good as it probably gets if you are European and don't mind commuting, should you wish to live outside London. However I don't know anyone in EK that is interested in BA because it's BA. This purely down to personal circumstances and lifestyle choice and you will find a myriad of opinions, as to how appealing BA is for some and not for others, as we have seen here.

Trader
10th Jan 2016, 15:37
Harry--read my post again.....most agree that transport is a nice perk and accept being early. Not a moan!

But I can't stand seeing comments about how good it is because the bars are great and there is a cool beach bar. Give me a feckin break.

MosEisley
10th Jan 2016, 17:00
Wannabe, the Mariners Club is still open at Seaview :). Also, check out Jewels over by the Warehouse.

harry the cod
10th Jan 2016, 17:15
Trader

Fair comment mate, just that you also referred to the early report time too. Not having a go......honest! ;)

Muttley

Those deaf-mutes you so disrespectfully refer to work a 10 hour day, 6 days a week. Their salary is 2500 dhs a month. If ever a pilot makes a complaint against them (and they do), it's one strike and a fine. 3 and they're finished. Any speeding fines have to be payed by them (fair enough) but the Company also add on another 500 too! Nice. So, next time you pile into the car and ask the 'smelly driver' to take you home, spare a thought for those less privileged then yourself. Regardless of what you may think of their driving abilities, your lack of basic respect for a fellow human being borders on a total disgrace and to write such disrespectful comments on a public forum is inexcusable. For someone so educated, you should be ashamed of yourself for printing that. And you have the audacity to criticise the Company for not respecting you?

Nobody forces you to use the transport facility. If it bothers you that much, do your own pedal pumping.

Harry

wanabee777
10th Jan 2016, 17:19
Also, check out Jewels over by the Warehouse.

How could I forget. Band was pretty good there too.

As I recall, the buffet dinner at the Le Méridien included the cover charge.:)

bigdaviet
10th Jan 2016, 19:05
It seems some people are so delighted at the fact BA are here in Dubai doing a roadshow in Emirates backyard, they are blinded by the facts.

If anyone takes the time to do their research and speak to people in BA (as I have,) they will realise that there are plenty of issues working for them too. Indeed others have alluded to them in this thread.

For some people in certain situations it really is a great move! For others, less so.

:=

Keep drinking the Koolaid bigdaviet

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a 'koolaid' drinker. I haven't made any direct comparisons between BA and EK. Sorry you feel the need to label me like that just because I dared to suggest that BA may not be the perfect solution for all pilots in EK.

fliion
11th Jan 2016, 05:07
The tone has got pretty low around here lately with the New Years hangover....but Muttley...your post is disgraceful and more importantly untrue except in isolated cases.

Silky - two golden rules of pprune:

1. No outing of a posters identity

2. No posting of pvt messages (even if tasteless)

anson harris
11th Jan 2016, 14:17
777-200LR:
Could you kindly elaborate more on the being robbed by your employer on a daily basis bit.
Where to begin... I think most of it has been eloquently covered by others. I'm just trying to give an impression of how life is for me now, not start an argument. All I can say further on the subject is that I feel human again and have a life in my own culture. "What good's money if you're not around to enjoy it?" (apologies to Star Wars) is pretty much how I feel about it.
If you're happy at EK - cool, enjoy it. If you're not, I can recommend BA :ok:

Donovan
11th Jan 2016, 14:50
Guys thanks for all of your inputs, but may I ask, you have to have the right to work in UK/EU correct? So if someone like me who is a GCC national and wants to escape the desert to the greener side of the planet I have to have the right to work in EU? regardless I have 2300 hrs on a/c with MTOW above 50 t....

ExDubai
11th Jan 2016, 16:26
Yepp, you need to have the right to work in the EU/UK

Donovan
11th Jan 2016, 17:04
thanks ExDubai, and i guess BA doesn't sponsor.

Eau de Boeing
11th Jan 2016, 17:10
You guess correct.

harry the cod
11th Jan 2016, 17:16
Incorrect. It does sponsor but you will not be eligible to apply if you're already qualified, i.e. an ATPL holder.

Eau de Boeing
11th Jan 2016, 17:40
Except he's not talking about sponsoring flying Harry, if you read his posts he's talking about sponsoring residency dear chap.

Level 4 English.......

harry the cod
11th Jan 2016, 17:49
Gotcha! :ok:

Donovan
11th Jan 2016, 19:26
@Eau de Boeing yes i was referring to residency.

and how did you come to a conclusion that I have level 4 ELP?

harry the cod
11th Jan 2016, 20:23
Donovan, he was probably referring to me. Then again, based on my current form of poor comprehension, I could be wrong again! :uhoh:

Harry

uba737
12th Jan 2016, 02:48
harry, you are just fatigued! we understand!

ruserious
16th Jan 2016, 15:21
Muttley, I do concur having experienced the same several times, and yes it's not all the time, but it still sucks.
I hate inhaling the bacterial waste from drivers unwashed socks, regardless of how hard they work and how poorly they are treated.

Wear the Fox Hat
16th Jan 2016, 16:12
it's not a perk, it's cruel and unusual punishment (for us) after a 6am arrival.

Muttley, suck it up sunshine!!! I understand it must be horrific for you having to endure such hardship in the back of the Volvo, you must be such a joy to be around :ugh:

cerbus
16th Jan 2016, 18:14
As much as it is a joy to be in the back of the car smelling the odors of our driver hoping we don't get in a wreck.

harry the cod
17th Jan 2016, 20:52
cerbus / Mutley Crew

I may have mentioned this before but I will say it again. Taking the crew transport is not mandatory. If you feel it would be beneficial for your safety and personal health not to use the aforementioned transport, use your own vehicle to and from your place of work.

Not difficult......is it?

Harry

wanabee777
17th Jan 2016, 22:13
Maybe I was just lucky, but the times I used a cab in Dubai were a much more pleasurable an experience than the cab rides I'm accustomed to here in the US. (Other than Uber)